Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Island Friends,
we are Martin 52 + Margitta 51 in Germany. Please apologize my horrible english and let tell me a short story.

3 years ago we started paddling a kayak (POINT65 Mercury) at lakes in Germany and vacation in the Croatian Sea too. While surfing in the www in some kayak sites i discovered the TI and the Mirage drive. I was fascinated and it was clear this is my next boat. After 3 years searching and waiting for an offer to a used TI a few weeks ago they were one in ebay. Instead to buy at once i was thinking to long on things they were thought 1000 times and the TI was sold. OMG how stupid i am?.

But oh wonder: 2 weeks later a new offer. This was my chance and the experience from to weeks ago stuck in my bones, i crab the phone and after a short talk the deal was perfect. Jipiyeah!!

On sat. 5th march we traveled 3 hours to the lake Starnberger See (30 km south of Munich) an after explaining every nut and bolt by the owner we picked it up on the roof of our Benz C 200T and shipped it home, without an. y problems, to the "Black Forest" where we live in SW Germany in the middle between Frankfurt/Main and Basel (Border to France and Switzerland) near the River Rhine. Not a typical landscape for sailing, and the saison in germany is only 5 month, but 3 years paddling a kayak and knowing from the TI was enough.

Lets say me Thanks You to all for a lot of information in this forum-especiallly to transportation on the roof. The enthusiasmus in this forum was the confirming that Iam not wrong with my decision to must have a TI. Now we are waiting for a warmer weather to make the first steps in a small lake near the Rhine.

It would be a nice to get replys and discuss some experiences. May be i can improve me english for better understanding. :lol:

TI '11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for your note, gs. My wife and I visited the Black Forest area last fall. Beautiful. Before long you will likely want to move up to larger venues from your small lake. How about a trip up the Danube, say from Budapest north? In any case, have fun!!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the family and congratulations on your purchase!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

M&M
Congratulations on your purchase. The sail may not be as useless as you think on the river. I've been on the Rhine cruise between Mainz and Koln several times where the wind was blowing quite a bit. Granted, like in the Columbia River Gorge, it tends to blow up or downstream within the canyon walls. But the sail is very easy to furl, so you furl it and pedal when the wind's against you , and sail when the wind's with you. Tacking across the river is ill advised with all the barge traffic, and if both wind and current are against you, you'd probably make little headway or even lose ground. Better to pedal near shore and in eddies where the current is less. You'll probably also find that the TI makes a very good tandem non-sailing kayak on smaller rivers and streams. It's quite stable even without the amas (outriggers). See: http://youtu.be/F_QJg76Dahc for a video I recorded on Beaver Creek in Oregon. That is a very small, quiet stream that empties into the Pacific Ocean. The river otter family we saw was just so entertaining. Have you seen the posts by the Danish/Dutch family that traveled from Copenhagen to Istanbul with 2 TIs? Google "Life is Good, follow us".
Bartman
PS, your English is very understandable. Don't worry about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Congratulations and welcome to the Hobie Island family. Wow Germany and on the River Rhine, What a place to sail!
We all envy you my friend. My Wife was stationed in Sembach, Germany for 2 years and would love to come back for vacation
As would I to meet all my relatives in Germany, We sail the River here, we call it the Colorado lower river basin, we sail from willow beach to just below Hover Dam, lots of tacking, canyon walls can create extreme wind gusts, however well worth the effort .
Please send us your pictures of your adventures