Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a used Island
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hoping for some tips and advice on buying a used Island. I've enquired about a few for sale and starting to get nervous whether it is a good option or not. I am specifically looking at the TIs. Most likely ~2010-2013.

1. Is there any issues buying an 'older' style TI? With this amount of age are things starting to give/wear out a lot more? When did the TI first come out, was it 2008 or 9?
2. Does one need to try and do a test-sail or a 'leak test' to make sure there are no holes in the hull, or is this overkill? Is a visual inspection enough or should I be bringing a spray bottle of soapy water and a air pump with me!
3. If it is heavily scratched, is that a major problem - how do you tell if it is a potential risk vs just superficial?
4. Do I need to watch out for warped or sundamaged hulls, is this a problem?
5. One I enquired of had a new sail and steering line put in, I'm assuming that is all good maintenance/improvements? Another one I am trying to find what year it is but can't tell thus far - it has V2 drives (is that the same as Mirage Drive or the one before?) but on this one the hull was replaced (no idea why...) and I can't find out what actual 'year' it is (current seller bought it 2nd hand and doesn't know). Is there any way to know the Year other than via the serial number on the hull?
6. I know if it is a 2010 (or earlier) you want it to have the straight up-and-down rudder and not the twist one.
7. How do I check if the ropes/lines are all in good condition and is it a major concern if they aren't - is it expensive to replace these things?
8. Is there anything particular to check with the sail and also furling/unfurling it?
9. Is there a list/guide for comparing different "Model Years"? E.g. the 10 Model year vs 11 Model year?
10. Should I be insisting on copies of paperwork and/or Hobie to verify the serial number before purchasing?

Sorry for all the questions, but these sort of tips/info is what I am hoping for help with...don't know if I am just being really overcautious but just want to make sure when I part with my hard-earned cash, that it is for a good investment!

Post subject: Re: Buying a used Island
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dammit wrote:
Hoping for some tips and advice on buying a used Island. I've enquired about a few for sale and starting to get nervous whether it is a good option or not. I am specifically looking at the TIs. Most likely ~2010-2013.

1. Is there any issues buying an 'older' style TI? With this amount of age are things starting to give/wear out a lot more? When did the TI first come out, was it 2008 or 9?
2. Does one need to try and do a test-sail or a 'leak test' to make sure there are no holes in the hull, or is this overkill? Is a visual inspection enough or should I be bringing a spray bottle of soapy water and a air pump with me!
3. If it is heavily scratched, is that a major problem - how do you tell if it is a potential risk vs just superficial?
4. Do I need to watch out for warped or sundamaged hulls, is this a problem?
5. One I enquired of had a new sail and steering line put in, I'm assuming that is all good maintenance/improvements? Another one I am trying to find what year it is but can't tell thus far - it has V2 drives (is that the same as Mirage Drive or the one before?) but on this one the hull was replaced (no idea why...) and I can't find out what actual 'year' it is (current seller bought it 2nd hand and doesn't know). Is there any way to know the Year other than via the serial number on the hull?
6. I know if it is a 2010 (or earlier) you want it to have the straight up-and-down rudder and not the twist one.
7. How do I check if the ropes/lines are all in good condition and is it a major concern if they aren't - is it expensive to replace these things?
8. Is there anything particular to check with the sail and also furling/unfurling it?
9. Is there a list/guide for comparing different "Model Years"? E.g. the 10 Model year vs 11 Model year?
10. Should I be insisting on copies of paperwork and/or Hobie to verify the serial number before purchasing?

Sorry for all the questions, but these sort of tips/info is what I am hoping for help with...don't know if I am just being really overcautious but just want to make sure when I part with my hard-earned cash, that it is for a good investment!
Well I'll have a go, but please don't place too much stock in my answers. I will try not to make any guesses...

1. I believe that until the 2015 model TI, there weren't any earth-shattering changes between 2010 and 2013 models.
2. I would hope to get a test-sail (even if it is just to help you familiarise yourself with TIs. There shouldn't be much water inside afterwards (well under a cup full). If there is more than that, the seller should be able to show you where the water is entering... if not, pass on that one.
3. Hard to quantify.. Deep scratches might be a catalyst for reduced pricing (believe it or not, you can repair scratches, and Hobie sells a tool to facilitate it, or can do it for you)
4. Hard to identify sun damage; as for warping, most hollows can be reversed with the use of hot water - Hobie has how-to videos on this and many maintenance issues.
5. A new sail would not be due to maintenance, but more likely replacement of a damaged or stolen one. To my knowledge, all pre-2015 TI mainsails are the same. You can tell the precise age of any Hobie hull by deciphering the serial number as follows:-(Last four digits of serial number.. A to K month of manufacture, then 1-0 last digit of manufacturing year; and finally 00-99 last two digits of the model year)
6. I believe all model TIs have the vertical rudder; only earlier AIs had twist-n-stow rudders. (either way, TIs need the vertical rudder)
7. Worn out lines tend to get "furry"; this alone is not the end of the world unless there is a particularly bad spot. Replacement won't send you broke...
8. Give the sail a look over for patches or really damaged stitching. The clear panel might have minor cracks is it, and be a bit cloudy. Rips are a no-no.
9. There WAS one on the forum. I will try and find the link.
10. I don't know if you need to verify anything once you have worked out the serial number code secret :)

It would be ideal if a TI owner living locally to you could help; 300kms would be a bit far for me! However, if you like, I could maybe answer a call on my mobile during an inspection if you had a query not covered above. PM me with your number so I can call with mine if you want.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Original, first year (at least first few months) TI's came with a twist-n-stow with the large rudder. Was upgraded with a free replacement by Hobie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Bob!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tony/Bob, have a good list ready now of what to go through/look out for :mrgreen: