Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake Powell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just returned from a 5 day trip to Lake Powell in Utah. This is usually a popular houseboat lake in the summer. It was deserted in late March.
haven't tried posting pics but here goes:
http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/mattk ... e%20powell"></iframe>

or this

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/mattk ... e%20powell

Post subject: Re: Lake Powell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks nice. Don't let those birds carry you away! Eyes to the skies.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What do you have on the bow of your TI that protects it when beached on the sandstone.

Whatever it is it looks interesting.

For your "gee Whiz" file of useless but perhaps interesting information, on my beachcat, I've been known to carry two sections of ABS (black plastic drain) pipe.

I plan to use this system when beaching the TI.

One ABS plastic pipe is smaller so it nests into the other which has removable caps on both ends.

The two nested pipes are then simply lashed, out-of-the-way, to the underside of one of the tramps.

The pipes, when placed on a rocky beach, allow the boat to be pulled across the tops of the pipes, protecting the hulls from "beach damage".

If the beach is hard enough the ABS pipes roll so I can pull one out from under the stern and place it back at the bow to make "protected" progress up the beach, above the high tide line, without scaring the bottom side(s).

If the beach is too soft for the pipes to roll, that presents no problem, because the boat slides on the top of the pipes.

Again as one pipe emerges out the stern of the boat as it is pulled up the beach, it can be re-laid at the boat's bow so the bottoms remain protected.

It is a simple process, cheap, readily available and does a great job of protecting the boat's bottom(s).

Just a passing thought.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The thing I have attached to my bow to protect it while beached is a I/2" thick close celled sleeping pad that I found 5 minutes before I beached the boat. I camstrapped it to the bow and it worked perfect.
I used something similar to your protective pipe to protect the stern and rudder post when I slid the boat off my car roof.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Prius and AI are a great combination. I cartopped my AI on the Prius for 3 years. Felt like I could go anywhere- land and sea as far away as I wanted and never worry about how much i was spending on fuel for either. Gave me that ultimate feeling of freedom.

Switched to a trailor this year as I'm not getting younger but that car topping allowed you that extra freedom of putting in anywhere you could drive the car. No ramps necessary.

You have the ultimate freedom package!

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice Pics ...... Looks like some very hard, not too level sleeping.
Obviously a great time of year to avoid the crowds although the swimming was probably 'not'.
How were the winds?....... Cold at night? ...... Day temps?
I'm very curious about the winds in March ..... I've heard they are irregular and somewhat minimal in the summer.
Did you put in on the eastern end? (Bullfrog?) ..Would you do it all the same. How much distance did you cover?
Would love to hear more about your trip.
Thanks, ...
Don

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It was the perfect time of the year regarding no crowds and air temp. 40s at night 70s during the day. The winds were erratic. I delayed my start due to 40 knot winds. And due to the serpentine shape of the lake I could go from sailing straight into the wind or have it at my back within a short time. Especially if I headed up a canyon. I had to be aware of campsites and possible campsites as you could go miles up a canyon with sheer walls.
I averaged about 15 miles a day.
There are kayak shuttle services on the lake that will ferry you if you wish to do a one way trip, which would be a good option if you wanted to see more of the lake and take advantage of the prevailing west wind. As I launched from the West side, I was always aware that I had to sail or peddle back.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,
Thanks for the info and inspiration,
I have been thinking about an excursion on Lake Powell for some time but had never considered the winter months.
I suspected Summer is too hot, too crowded, and unpredictable winds.
Your information is much appreciated. Good chance I'll be checking it out next year.
Thanks, Don
Papaya TI 2014