Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, so I just bought a used AI from a Hobie dealer who assured me the boat was in great shape, stored properly for awhile before he unloaded it. While his employees loaded it up (cartop) they over tightened the ratchet straps causing a bend in the boat (behind the mirage drive at about the center hatch) middle up fore and aft down. I said something and they basically said it was fine and that the dents come out. They're the experts so I let it go. At home I go through the dent removal process which removes 85% of the dent and the afternoon sun seems to do the rest once the boat is stored properly (one afternoon of moderate sun only as suggested by dealer personnel). The test sail goes well, the AI is awesome to sail and so much fun.
While I'm cleaning the boat I notice there is a very apparent "bubble" and "ripple" in the plastic on the "inside" of the boat directly under the center hatch. The outside of the hull appears to be normal and undented but the inside has a bubble and ripple or ridge next to it. The whole area is about 3" by 3" with the bubble coming up maybe a quarter inch. My apologizes but I am not tech savy enough for pictures. Again you can see nothing on the outside of the hull indicating this condition. This disturbs me because I noticed that the hull bend slightly at this point even when I lightly strap the boat down (l live across the street from a lake so 3/4 mile trip).

My concerns with this issue; is it common? and will it effect the hull stability/rigidity? and whether I just threw away money on this boat?

I have changed by storage to hull up resting on three supports (not two) in order to minimize the pressure on this area of the hull. I also plan on using a trailer for transport where I can better support the boat. I admit that the Thule rack on my subcompact was not the best cartop situation for the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first thing to do is take it back to the dealer and get them to have a look at it.
Hard to tell what has occurred without at photo so I suggest you get a friend to take the photo and show you
how to post on this site.
Although it is hard to judge without seeing the damage you need to have confidence that it will be
OK when you take it out instead of worrying what will happen at each wave.

Keep us posted as to the outcome as there is a lot of expertise on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The lump, or 'bubble' you mention is just the remnants (as I understand it) of the spot where the polyethylene pellets are thrown into the mould when the hull is formed.

I've had 5 Hobie kayaks and they've all had this lump, just under the centre hatch.

Nothing to worry about.

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mingle wrote:

Nothing to worry about.

I Agree