Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, this video could save a life... could you please place it in the "sticky" video section. Thanks heaps to Michael Carew and the guys, who spent a lot of time in the cold water putting this together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XjdqMU ... 518.878293

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, a nice video. At the end, where the person in the water could not grab something as the Island drifted by him illustrates a major shortcoming with the factory Island--no grab lines around the boat, especially the bow. The stern may have something in the rear storage area to grab. A typical sea kayak has grab lines all around the boat, because the last thing you want to happen is see your kayak drifting away. Hobie Islands need something similar.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, that's fantastic - thanks to all who participated in the exercise, filming and posting. I was especially interested to see how one gets back into the boat after righting it, too. Safety lines sound like a prudent addition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks! I added to AI and TI FAQs.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool video. I liked Ben's premade looped rescue line with the tubing. Going to make one of those myself. I was also interested to see how relatively easy it was to right a boat with the sail unfurled. My fear in a single kayak was always losing contact with the boat and my Revo 11 had anchor trolleys and lines that I could grab. I practiced at a beach doing re-entries with a pfd on and I was amazed at how quickly even a gentle wind would blow a boat away from me and how futile it was to swim after it in a pfd.

In dinghies I remember the risk was always righting the boat with the mainsheet cleated and having it sail away and that's my current niggling worry with the TI. Uncleating the mainsheet will be on my mental checklist.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent video. You've done everyone who own's a TI or an AI a great service. This could indeed be life saving information.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just found it on Youtube. The author, Michael Carew is the one deserving praise

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great video! I've been wanting to try this but I couldn't talk my wife into letting me do it (what if I broke something, like the mast!). I had no idea about using a rope but it makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really good video:
My situation is a little different, because my modified TI has much greater sail area (up to 260 sq ft), with a 6 inch thick wing sail that would fill with water if I capsize. On top of that I have twin outboards that weigh about 55lbs, I suspect in the event of a capsize I would have more difficulty tipping the boat back upright (not impossible, just harder).
Specifically for this reason, I widened my TI from the standard 10ft wide to 12ft wide (a pretty simple mod).
Previous to widening the boat with my normal 125sq ft of sail showing I could easily bury the AMA and risk capsize in as low as 12mph winds, and typically started furling my main in any winds over 10mph.
With the boat widened I can easily fly full sail in winds up to around 18mph without fear of burying the AMA. I've been running the wider stance for quite a while now and have not had any unexpected difficulties.
Previously out in winds 20mph or greater I could easily flip the boat if not careful, now I feel much safer in rough seas. Previously in 4ft vertical chop I would have to scurry out on the tramp to prevent going over if broad sided by a wave, that's no longer a problem.
In my opinion widening my boat ended up being one of my favorite mods.
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is part two of the righting and island demo - this time WITHOUT using any righting line (much more dependent on a fit sailor)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-cIvmG-gk

Once more, Matt could you adds this to the sticky/FAQs.

Thanks once more to Michael Carew for another very helpful video

Last edited by tonystott on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,

We had a lot of fun making these videos and hope that they can benefit the community. It was one of those things we often wondered about but had never tried. Now we know a bit more about it and plan to do another round of tests.

I am the one with the Dune AI, Mike has the red AI and Ben has the red TI.

Happy to answer any questions. We did find it much easier with both amas folded in but wanted to try both. In the second video I was actually using an anchor trolley to pull the boat back over. First video was on a lake in fresh water and second in the sea in around 7 metres of water. Sail in out out made no real difference. We are lucky to have full drysuits, which keep us warm and buoyant. Ben was in a wetsuit.

We don't profess to know everything about righting these boats and are open to any ideas and feedback.

Part of our drills did involve towing a crew member and lost boat drill and I agree with the comments about how fast the boat drifts away and how slippery the amas are.

Best regards,

Jason Caldwell
Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting here, Jason. I had felt rather guilty bringing the videos here, but considered them to be so valuable that as many as possible Island owners needed to see them. I am extra glad that Matt has no added them to Hobie's FAQ section for all to see in the future.

I could see that you guys went to considerable effort to make the demonstrations as close to real-world as possible, and I do not think it an exaggeration at all to suggest that the videos could actually lead to saving someone's life.

Please pass on my congratulations to all of you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So do you wind the sail back on the mast first underwater somehow?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the length of line you keep wrapped and stored in your pfd? Also, how many loops did you build into the line?
Thanks for the video!
Tom