Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2009 AI shorter amas
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I am looking at buying the 2009 AI and notice that the amas are much shorter than newer models. Does that make it significantly more prone to capsizing in rough conditions (high winds and/or swell/waves)? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 2009 AI shorter amas
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had 2 AIs around that year that I used to fish in offshore here in Florida. I never had any issues with capsizing and I've been in some rough water. I think they changed the AI up in 2015 or 2016 I believe. You shouldn't have any issues with a 2009.

Post subject: Re: 2009 AI shorter amas
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a 2012 AI about 8 years ago. I sailed off shore in the Gulf of Mexico a lot. I never felt safe in higher winds so I bought a pair of TI amas and used them on my AI. There are a few things to note. Yes it makes a significant difference in stability. The stability feels similar to a current AI. Although the distance between AKA brace holes is different, it can be done and you will notice a slight toeing out of the amas. It never seemed to alter my ability to sail in any way. The forward akas will not sit all the way into the AKA hole. I was concerned and bought forward TI akas to solve this. This was not necessary and I ended up just using the AI akas. The AKAs never jumped out of the forward holes in the three years I sailed this way. No issues of any kind.

Having said that, I see no reason the post 2016 amas could not be purchased and used in an older AI, but that is something I have not tried. Bet it could be done though. The new ama holes probably line up better than the TI amas that I used.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis