Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Linkzi wrote:
Being employed in search and rescue, when an unattended boat is found adrift, how do we contact the owner? Yes, the registration number on the hull will speed up the investigation process by calling the phone numbers on the registration or we send someone to their home address.

Well, if there was a very cheap - and preferably permanent or at least multi-year (i.e. I don't have to go to the tag agent every year) - registration option for craft otherwise not required to register, that'd be fine. (Though I still don't like putting the letters on the hull!)

Oklahoma is actually working toward that, a couple years ago they dropped registration for kayaks and canoes. Now there is an amendment in the legislature that would allow optional registration for a "convenience fee" - the bill proposed just a couple bucks or something, though with the tag agents' fee it'll probably be more like $8/yr by the time they're done. Not bad, if it passes.

I feel like the Islands are in a gray area, they (sorta) meet the definition of "canoe/kayak" in the statute - vessel that comes to a point on both ends, propelled by a paddle (yeah, I use a paddle about 0.05% of the time the TI is in the water...) and I've even had a lake ranger refer to it as a kayak, but I feel it's really more sailboat and here sailboats must be registered. If they pass this amendment I'll register the TI that way and feel a bit more "legit"...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's no grey area in Texas. Over 14 feet and it has to be registered.

- Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Buckaroo wrote:
There's no grey area in Texas. Over 14 feet and it has to be registered.

- Chris

I registered mine in San Antonio, TX at a local Texas Parks and Wildlife Office. Took about ten minutes.

Bought custom vinyl boat decals - they were cheap and worked fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is one thing to think about with a TI thats pretty important according to my insurance agent. The value of the boat makes it grand theft if stolen (a felony) and a registered boat gets a lot more attention than a regular kayak stolen from your roof or yard (likely a misdemeaner), and it would be treated that way by law enforcement. Our insurance agent insisted we title and register the boat, more so because of it's value than anything else. The HID number is permanently filed with the title, and if ever recovered the boat tracks back to you. Also if anyone ever tries to register the boat it would come up as stolen, and would be returned to you. Another thing to think about is where does that $15-$30 dollars go, well it goes into, dredging waterways, new launches, kayak parks, etc. If they have no money we get nothin. It was a no brainer decision for me, I enjoy all the amenaties provided by the state and local governments and don't mind paying my fair share pittance to pay for using all the great facilities and help pay the wages of the dedicated people who keep us safe out there. Like I said earlier if the money isn't there we get nothin.
My two cents
FE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Linkzi wrote:
Being employed in search and rescue, when an unattended boat is found adrift, how do we contact the owner? Yes, the registration number on the hull will speed up the investigation process by calling the phone numbers on the registration or we send someone to their home address.
Can't argue with Link there. Whenever some idiot (tourists included) lets their yak drift off, or some kid pulls a prank, the choppers are called up, the fire rescue trucks block the boat ramps and lifeguards are pulled off the beach.

But rental yaks are already registered and tagged (sticker), and kayak diving is the rage here, and most yaks blow back to shore anyway. Then there are thousands of surfskis, canoes and sups that would need to be "regulated" too, to make this a fair process.

Most of us here are reluctant to open that can of worms.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I just ordered a TI in New Jersey. The rules seem ambiguous, can anyone say if NJ requires registration and/or title?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I grew up in NJ, but now live across the DE river in PA. Reading the NJ laws:

All titled boats must be registered also.
Any boat (including jet skis and non-titled watercraft), mechanically propelled (incl. electric motors), regardless of length, must be registered.
Boats greater than 12 feet in length, regardless of propulsion means, must be titled and registered at an MVC office.
Boats and marine equipment which need not be registered:

Those not based in New Jersey or operating here less than 180 consecutive days that are operating under a federally-approved numbering system from another state
Ship’s lifeboats
Non-motorized vessels used exclusively on small lakes and ponds on private property
Racing vessels with New Jersey State Marine Police permit
Non-motorized inflatable device, surfboard, racing shell, dinghy, canoe or kayak
Non-motorized vessel less than 12 feet in length
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would say based on the last point, you do need to register it.

For what it's worth if you plan to sail in the bay or ocean and are even considering putting a motor on your TI at some point, register it as motorized. It'll save you the hassle of switching registration types down the road.

Congratulation on your TI! If you sail in South Jersey maybe we'll connect sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

atv223 wrote:
Non-motorized inflatable device, surfboard, racing shell, dinghy, canoe or kayak

Thanks! My interpretation is that canoes, kayaks etc. don't need to be registered, even if over 12'. Otherwise, why mention them at all? But I'm not clear if it's only talking about inflatable kayaks etc., hence the ambiguity. But you make a good point about the motor option.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ian S wrote:
atv223 wrote:

Thanks! My interpretation is that canoes, kayaks etc. don't need to be registered, even if over 12'. Otherwise, why mention them at all? But I'm not clear if it's only talking about inflatable kayaks etc., hence the ambiguity. But you make a good point about the motor option.

I'd agree with your comment on the canoes and kayaks. However, the TI is a sailboat. That's why I believe you need to register it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

atv223 wrote:
I'd agree with your comment on the canoes and kayaks. However, the TI is a sailboat. That's why I believe you need to register it.

Am still trying to figure out what it really is :wink: If I leave the sail, AMAs, tramps and mirage drives at home, it's a simple 18'6 kayak. After that, it seems almost anything up to a sailing foot-pedal trimaran. Very versatile, I look forward to its arrival. But yes, better safe than sorry, I'll get it registered along with the trailer. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Linkzi wrote:

We put a large, bright colored sticker with our name and contact info inside the cockpit of all our kayaks, specifically for that reason.

Here in Idaho our TI requires an invasive species sticker, but does not need to be registered.