Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedal backwards you say?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I read somewhere here (or maybe at KFS) that "theoretically" the AI could be pedaled backwards by removing the drive and re-installing it front-to-back.

Well, it ain't no theory no more!

Yesterday, while waiting for some friends to show up in their 34' Bayliner (they brought the grill with them for our burgers) my wife and daughter were goofing around on their AI too close to the tullies on the downwind side of the river with a stiff wind blowing. Before I could warn them to get away from there they were wedged tight.

I had no choice. So I sailed over and stuck myself. The water was at least eight feet deep so getting out and pushing was not an option. It took my daughter paddling with both hands, me puhing from my AI, and my wife pedalling as hard as she could... with the drive in backwards... to get them out.

Pushing off the tullies and pedaling backwards I managed to get myself unstuck as well.

What fun, at least our friends finally showed up. We had a nice dinner before the pleasent five mile reach home after dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know what you mean. We were trying to launch the AI in MAJOR surf at the ocean, and I hopped in, dropped the drive in its slot and started pedaling while my son and brother-in-law shoved me forward, but the AI kept going backwards. We thought it was the rough surf, until my soaked helpers screamed Are you sure that's in the right way? I looked down and sure enough, I had been pedaling back into them. Sorry, I said, turned it around, and went right out. Hey, it happens. But it definitely will pedel backwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had to furl my sail, yank my drive and turn it around today. Just as I was going under a bridge 2 big fishing boats with their skip bait poles?, that stick way out came at me from the other direction.

Their poles would have wacked my mast. The first one still nearly got me but the deck hand got it raised about 6" from hitting me. I was pedaling and back paddling for all I was worth, probably making 5+ mph in reverse. Could have gone faster if I'd had time to reset the pedals.

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope they at least apologized.

The tullies never even gave us a sympathetic look.