Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been holding out waiting to see what hobie does with the tandem Sail Yak. But anyone else tried to make the decisions beteween a WR17 and a non existant hobie tri?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do not own either but I have spent alot of time around a WR17, and have sailed it a few times.

Let me say that i was not impressed by the WR17, not to bash it at all but it wasn't my cup of tea. It was very very heavy and hard to load and unload alone.

I would hold out for Hobie to come out with the tandem. Even though I have ripped on the Island about racing it against sailboats I would love to own one, while the WR17 does not really interest me after sailing one.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Word is, Hobie has already built the tandem Adventure Island and they are timing the release of it.....but it's NOT using a longer version of the Adventure hull.
It's made by simply adding the ama and aka and a roller furling sail to one of their existing tandem Oasis models..... So I doubt it will be as fast as the AI except with two sets of mirage turbo fins pumping away.
I'm glad I just bought the one seat AI, instead of waiting for that to come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That doesn't sound like Hobie, why take an old tandem that isn't really made for the design when they could built something that would be really amazing.

I still say hold out for Hobie to come out with the tandem.

Post subject: WR vs Adventure Island
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was sailing my Adventure Island today on a lake when I came across a WR. It was the first one I have seen close up. It was much more of a big boat than my AI. Mine was much faster however they had four people believe it or not. We pulled out at the same time (we both had trailers) and I was driving home while they were still fooling around with their boom. It is an interesting boat. But I still like my Adventure Island. I would like to have a boat that I could take someone else with me or even have more room when I'm fishing but I'm just going to wait and see what Hobie comes out with next. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rumors of an Islandtype craft made from an Oasis Tandem do seem odd. I looked at pics of both Island and Oasis side by side and don't see how they would ever place the mast cup and the frame mounts.

There is so little room in front to place the Island-style mast cup. And, if mast cup is positioned in the middle, where the standard Oasis mast goes, there is not enough room from the center to the stern to fully unfurl the sail.

Of course Hobie could have re-designed the mast and the mounting and bracing and not use the same Island sail kit.

Hey, I'm all for an Island Tandem but believe a new hull will have to be designed. I would like to see the new tandem use the same mast, amas & akas as the Island. As an owner of 2 Islands it would give me interchangable parts.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kayakingglen
I to long for a bigger stronger tri-design from hobbie under 10k with trailer. Package deal..with optional.... trolling motor attachment..Come on Hobbie sell us something...not a kayak up-grade...Bravo/ Wave size with a cockpit for two. I do like this Forum. If other AI onwers in Sacramento area could meet at Loon Lake prior to the end of the season would be great.

Last edited by kepra on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Add another 4' for a second person and the outriggers need to be about 4' longer. This doesn't solve the performance problem. The additional weight requires about 40% more sail and deeper outriggers. This would let them add a jib but then the whole rig would have to be stiffer and stronger and heavier.

It's hard to visualize this being a high performance boat, although it might be a lot of fun. I don't think Hobie has ever made anything that wasn't fun to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

baysailor
Yourrr right on both. I do like the sail stabilty. Increased size goes cost. Which is why I got Hobie. + car topping. Ability to scoot across the lake in better fashion than most kayaks...is fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do have a WR17. I choose the WR17 over the Adventure Island and I'm really satisfy! I can bring my wife and my 2 kids on the boat very safely. The boat is also fast (I did 15 knots this summer). There is enough room for camping material. I did a nice 3 day trip with my friend doing camping on beaches and on the boat!!!
The only disadventage I see with the WR17 is the set-up time wich is approx. 45 min. for a beginner and approx. 30 min. after doing it a couple of times... It's easy to set-up the boat alone when using some tricks to raise the mast.
If Hobie Cat design a 2 person tri-Yak, it will be very interesting for me, but actually, my WR17 is my better choice.

Post subject: They play well together
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also have an Adventure AI and a WindRider 16 (...and a Hobie 14, for that matter). A few years ago I gave up trying to find THE boat to fit all needs. I think many of us have sailing habits too diverse for one boat. No single boat can do it - though the AI and the WindRider come close (IMHO).

I love my Hobie 14T for the adrenalin. I want to see how fast it can go. It's not a family boat with cup holders, and it's a pain to paddle if the wind dies.

I love my WR16 (WindRider's single cockpit model) for easy sailing, though it'll handle higher wind with no problem. It's also good for times when I have a friend along, and he or she can ride on the side tramps. It's especially nice if the friend is a novice - they feel the trimaran is a boat with training wheels (though WindRider owners know their tris are much more than that). The WR16 is a kick when there's wind, and it's fairly easy to set-up, but it does take more time than the AI. It's also much heavier than the AI and requires a special trailer. Unfortunately, WindRider doesn't make the WR16 anymore - but their WR17 adds a second cockpit, adds a jib and screacher option, but also adds set-up time and $$.

I'm getting to love my AI. I bought one a month ago, for my local mountain lakes that often have sections shielded from the wind - and the mirage drive will see me through. It has handled more (on Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana) - but not as well as the Hobie and WR16. The AI doesn't need a decent wind to carry it through a tack, though; and needs less ramp width (because of the folding ama crossbars). My AI is also the quickest/easiest for set-up, and light enough to haul atop my truck - but I use a Harbor Freight trailer outfitted with pipe crossbars that allows me to pull it behind most anything - including my Toyota Corolla. I can quickly/effortlessly take the AI on/off the trailer - especially when using Yakima Hully Rollers and saddles, and Hobie Kayak Trax (which are MUCH cheaper than Cat Trax or a WR boat dolly.) BUT - There's no "moving around" room on an AI, and it only seats one person - so the AI can't match the WR16 or Hobie in these areas (but the AI's 350 lb capacity is impressive). The AI is the easiest of my sailboats to carry, set-up, and use. And hey, it's also a kayak (for those "no wind" days).

Yes. Pros and cons for each. When someone asks which boat they should buy - it's impossible to answer. For starters, the buyer has to decide what kind of sailing they want to do; if they want to bring a friend; and know the sailing conditions (typical weather, and open or protected waters).

So, what's my answer to your question? JUST GET BOTH. 8)

:arrow: I recognize mstgermain's user id from the WindRider forum... So I'll end by sending a quick, "Hi!" to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey..... toomany b's

I like that post...I sure would like learning to use & transport all those options...your right on all...the AI is my first sail of any size I do hope to have much the same line up as my ability and $ increase. Can you post a picture of the trailer? Do Harbor Freight trailer wheel bearings last?
I did live in LA for 14 years now in CA. We have a small collection of kayaks canoes rafts and gear which would add up to a windrider...price almost.
I have continued to car top as it seems safer..Have a newer horse trailer and it tows smoothly..Is a small trailer swaying a lot? I sure would like to use a boat ramp for unloading. Are you backing that whole trailer in the water and floating off the AI? You must have a whole barn for the boats and mounted trailers. What is the total price of the WD 17 + trailer? enough with the questions.....I know...... but you have the experience
and boats and related gear I have been thinking about for 3 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kepra:

1) I haven't had the Harbor Freight trailers long enough (or driven them far enough) to know about their longevity. I've taken one from Maryland to Louisiana twice, but the rest has been short 15 to 20 mile round trips to the local lake. And no, I haven't noticed any swaying.

Oh, I should mention about the AI sticking out beyond the back of the HF trailer: Technically, it's probably a wee bit too far to be 100% compliant with the DMV. I've considered having my fiancée weld a little extra section to the tongue, just to be safe.

2) With the AI, I do not back the trailer into the water. Instead, I assemble it under a tree (or any available shade) by using the Kayak Trax to wheel it away from the car and trailer that are usually parked on hot asphalt or dusty gravel lots. When I finish setting up, I roll it over to the ramp. The AI slips into the water, I tie it off, and I carry the Kayak Trax back to the car to lock everything up.

3) I can't afford new boats (I probably can't afford old ones either :roll: ), but I believe the new WR17s with jib kit and bilge pump are $8,995. The trailer's extra. I know of at least one dealer marking $1,000 off his in-stock inventory (this is the time of year many dealers are selling their demos, and rental places are replacing their inventories). And of course, there's the "previously owned" market.

On the other hand, a new AI retails for about a third the price of a new WR17. Even if you bought TWO, so a friend could sail with you, it'd still be cheaper (and you'd only need to buy one trailer).

I bought my AI used (from our Hobie Forum Classifieds), so I must credit the original owner with the pipe set-up on the trailer. He added the Yakima Hully Rollers and Saddle configuration, too. Boy, what an easy time I had taking the AI off and on the trailer. I bought the Kayak Trax, because I remembered what a BIG difference it made when I got the Cat Trax for my Hobie. It's SWEET not being "tethered" to where a trailer can go! ...and having the Kayak Trax made a big difference with the AI, too. Definitely worth the minor money for the major convenience.

But Kepra... These are the ramblings of a still somewhat novice sailor. In other words, my boat inventory and enthusiasm exceed my experience. But it doesn't take a decade of experience to figure this stuff out, and I'm glad if it was able to help. Your AI was a good first choice. Just remember: Two boats are always better than one; variety is the spice of life; and Excess is never enough.

Fair winds and full sails,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's what my Adventure Island has me wanting next.
The Adventure Trimaran, a 24' fast sailing canoe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDuwMIOHYc&mode=related&search=
and here's an interesting comparison chart http://www.adventuretrimaran.com/Trimaran%20Comparison.htm

note that the Adventure Trimaran costs $22K, money enough which you could buy 7 Adventure Islands for..... but it's a beautiful speed demon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The comparison chart states that the AI can only do 8 Knots Max.. Hobie stated the Max was 9.5 Knots if I heard that right.