Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am the proud owner of the Avanture island that I have picked up on Saturday.the mast came in uassembled and the dealer is new so I dont think I can get help in the aassembling the mast and sail. I am new to sailing. I will not be able to sail it till I learn it very well. Is there a Video training Material for the assembly part other than the brochure that came with it. Also Is there a Video traing material on sailing it.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you want an on-line tutorial for sailing in general, go to the website for US Sailing. They have an extensive library of interactive educational material. Check out the basic sailing, small boat and keelboat modules along with navigation, knots and rules of the road.

I would expect your Hobie dealer to help you with the setup even if they are new. My dealer and I assemebled my AI together. Then he had me practice basic functions such as working the rudder, sail and Mirage drive. He answered every question I had and when he didn't know something, immediately picked up the phone and called Hobie. Then we broke it down for transport and he helped me load it on the truck. You should be getting more from your dealer than a sales receipt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for this forum I have searching to buy the Advanture and finaly I went during the EXPO days I have met the Hobie Rep at the Dealer store. I was impressed by the Island and have decided to buy it. When it got there the dealer help me loading it. I have asked about helping with the sail assembly. He noted that they are new to this and they would not be a great help" it is easy to setup"!!!!!!!. That is why I thought the forum will be graeter help than the dealer who I bought from. Thanks again for any video material related to the AI athat I can find on the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Joe, I'm sure we'll be happy to help with your specific questions. After reading the instructions a couple of times though, things should start to come into focus.

I agree with baysailor -- your dealer shouldn't leave his customer hanging. If he's not going to learn how to help you, than he won't be helping the next purchaser either, and has no business selling something he can't assemble, much less service. If he has that little interest in his products, maybe he's in the wrong business.

The dealers around here aren't that way at all. You should print out and show him this post and if he continues to put you off, you'd do us all a favor by listing his company name and location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was new to sailing when I got my AI last month and let me tell you it's very easy to sail. I figured it out in minutes and have spent many hours since sailing in the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay. Check out the link on hobie's website that will give you the sailing basics http://www.hobiecat.com/experience/learn.html

Once you figure out how to put the sail together, when you snap it on the boat, make sure that the reefing line closes the sail and the other line opens it. I screwed that up my first time out but realized my mistake quickly and fixed it. If I hadn't notice my mistake, I would have had an embarrassing moment trying to close (reef) the sail in as I approached the shore.

Once you get these minor assembly problems behind you, you're in for a treat. This boat is the coolest thing I've ever owned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had my AI for almost 3 weeks and have not assembeled the Sail yet. Does anyboduhas closup pictures to their Kayak with the main lines attached to the Sail.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Joeban Here is a link where you can download a large image of mine rigged.
http://www.free-file-host.com/f2/c3c6144ea12a7c5a1be8c20abad7fa7e

Also if you tie the ends of the sheeting and furling lines together they will always be the right length.

gwiz