Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing my AI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any pictures/idea that will help me in storing my AI in thegarage the correct way?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A roof was added a few days after this pic taken - as storing in the sun is not good.

Upside down on carpet covered 2x4s. Saw horses would work in place of the wooden boards.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakaholic, can I hang my Revo on it's side instead of hull side up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yakaholic wrote:

Upside down on carpet covered 2x4s. Saw horses would work in place of the wooden boards.

Yakaholic

Also saw posted on this forum some months ago a good article on how to build your own kayak stands

http://nomadness.com/articles/kayak-dinghy-stands.html

simple and cheap to construct they work really well for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I store mine different than most people. Mine is stored right side up on an old cart that I made a flat surface on top with a couple pool noodles. The beauty of this setup is I can load it on my pickup truck with the extension bar (in the picture) in a matter of minutes with no strain at all. I haven't seen any problems with distortion storing it this way.

If it takes me all day to get ready to sail then I won't go as much. This way I can be on my way whenever I'm ready for another sailyakking fix.

I bought the cart for $10.00 at a garage sale. The kayak fits between my garage workshop and where my wife parks her car. I also cover it with the hobie cover to keep dust and anything from the workshop off it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have decided to store it upside down on 2 slings that attched at the built in metal bars on the Kayak. Is this safe to do and will it affect the mast base or the extra pressure on 2 points at the kayak Haul?.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have not heard from anybody. Any takers plesae on the above.
Thanks

Post subject: Storing an AI
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have always stored poly boats on their sides leaning against a wall on the theory that the sides are less likely to distort than either the hull bottom or the deck. I plan to do this with my AI over the winter unless I hear from one of the group's gurus that this is not the best arrangement for the AI.

Ernie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hung mine upside down from the roof of a garage in 4 slings for 5 months, no problems. Never occured to me to use the crossbars as a hanging point-neat idea.....provided of course you are hanging the craft upside down!!!!
One mistake I did make was keeping the hatches closed...I got a lot of mould on the coaming seal on the front hatch in fact it was so bad it got into the glue that attaches the seal to the hatch coaming. the other mistake I made was in storing the mirage drive in a poorly ventilated room, the surface corrosion was evident when I returned.... despite having washed it and oiled it. Entirely my fault, its a tropical climate and you have to be super vigilant. the guy that sold me this computer said next time I leave to return it to him so he can store it in his airconditioned showroom he also said if i have any other 'bits and pieces' I am welcome to keep them there too......hmmmm..... :wink:

Post subject: Storage
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I store my AI hanging on its side via a block and line (with the starboard side toward the floor of the garage). My wife and I put two straps around the forward section (just aft of the forward hatch) and around the aft section (just aft of the aft crossbar) I haven't considered mold issue due to closed hatches - I'll open the center hatch tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

kayakscuba, I think mold is only an issue to be considered in a humid tropical climate. I am sure you will be OK with closed hatches where you are