Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:47 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Jan. 18, 19, 20 Miami @ Shake A Leg

Liquid Surf and Sail is proud to announce the first Hobie Adventure Island "Nationals" (for lack of a better description). AI's will be a featured class in the regatta, which also includes Open Bics, Windsurfers (Formula,Kona and Raceboard), Sonars, 2.4's and some other classes as well. The event is run in the memory of Alex Caviglia, former President of Adventure Sports Miami, a company that sells windsurf and kite gear. Alex died of complications relating to a kitesurfing accident, so the proceeds from the event go to Shake A Leg and the Caviglia Foundation, both of whom work with the disabled. Last years event had over 150 sailors, this years promises to be bigger.

This event will be straight up Adventure Island competition, competing as a One Design Class. All AI's are welcome. What is legal? Turbo flippers, barber haulers, new rudder. Other mods are not legal. Pedaling around the course is legal, but you cannot pedal into the wind (luffing sail). We will be sailing on courses of other boats and windsurfers, probably trapezoids, triangles and windward leewards.

This will be the first time AI's have been featured in a multi-class regatta, and word on the street is we have top AI Florida sailors coming, we would like to invite everyone with a boat to participate. Miami in January is the best sailing on planet earth, and this is a great facility and a great cause, so please see if you can make it!

NOR at http://www.shakealegmiami.org/site/c.kk ... 3/Home.htm

More about the Caviglia Foundation at http://www.cavigliafoundation.org/

Top Hobie Honchos are rumored to be attending, so the competition will be good! Please call me for additional info at 305 860 0888. Jim DeSilva

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent!, the rumor about this I heard about 2 months ago at the Hobie dealer in Jacksonville is true.

Jim,

I took the liberty of copying your post onto the Kayak Fishing Stuff Hobie Topic Page.

I will try to make it with my AI.

I also am happy to find out it's for such a good cause... great idea!

D.Duffe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim I will definately make it and will spread the word to other AI'ers.

Do you have more details like where the course is, where everyone meets up and recommendations for a good place to stay in the area with our AI's.

I know January is prime time in Miami so I'd like to get reservations as soon as possible.

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:51 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Yes, guys, thank you for the positive responses.

The location of the event is Shake A Leg Miami, 2620 S. bayshore Dr. Miami Florida (Coconut Grove). You can google earth that up and check the site--beautiful Biscayne Bay, right near Viscaya.

We will be racing on the sailboat course as one of the sailing classes, not on the windsurfing course. The course will be about half a mile out to sea from SALM, straight out from the facility.

Although this is not our site, go here to look at some hotel and local info, I would recommend the Hampton as it is close and not too much:

http://www.rolexmiamiocr.org/participant/index.htm

Finally, the question will be resolved....what is the faster color, red or yellow????

How do you guys like the rules?

The facility is really great, there is a ramp for launching, storage is not a problem, you can leave your AI's rigged, great food and parties and you are all going to be filmed extensively (and photographed), so make sure you have your best outfits on and your hair coiffed in this first ever Hybrid Power Regatta--this is a first in sailing history--you want to be there!! For real, you are going to be on TV, too. :shock:

You can sign up at http://www.rolexmiamiocr.org/participant/index.htm

You save moolah by doing it early and it helps Shake A Leg to plan for food, drinks and uhhhhh, liquor. Tell me who else wants to come!

When we all go around the course faster than the sailboats, people are going to take notice.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:53 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

...is at http://www.kintera.org/site/preview.asp?cid={1A44B400-A09C-44C4-A722-8E0586B00982}&key=7oIJLVOsGmF&staging=2&go=http://www.kintera.org/site/lookup.asp?c=hnKGIKNrEoG-*-b=3524571

when you guys are all frozen up north around mid december, make sure you watch this so you can get fired up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since you asked about the rules Jim, the only concern I have is making it an endurance race more than a sailing race. I think using pedals is good in some areas but don't want to pedal the entire course because I'm basically lazy : )

While I definately plan on being in the race, I doubt I'll win since I don't plan on pedaling the entire course .... just in the turns.

Thanks for posting the hotels and info in the area. Hampton Inn is where we always stay on vacations and all so that's good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:54 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Robot, I hear you about the pedaling, there has been a lot of discussion on this subject, but I can tell you from experience racing this summer, people pedal hard for 5 minutes and then things become a lot more relaxed...a few years from now we may have some serious bikers in this, but I truly believe we do not currently...I may be proven wrong but I guess we will find out. Good sailors who do some biking, who have AI's will probably do well. Of course, last year we had 15-25 3 days in a row, so pedaling might just be a minor issue anyway.

In a post above I gave an incorrect link, registration is at www.shakealegmiami.org, click on Bluewater Regatta to the right, and you will go to registration.

But our opinion is currently, we gotz the pedals, let's just let it flow and see how it shakes out. No restrictor plates on the first race...let's have some crashes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a better working link for anyone interested http://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/home/Home.asp?ievent=253866&en=fgLFKPMyGhKKLVMAI4KEIRMDLqJQIUOBKgJMKSNzFiILLZMQH

I registered today and my wife and I are looking forward to the event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:36 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

A little extra info--3 days of racing, food every day, excellent Race Committee and Miami in January--the best weather on earth!

Hampton is highly recommended.

Post subject: AI Nationals
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey you guys. I am so jealous....stuck here in Maine. Can you get someone to make a CD of the event? I'll have to settle for drinking margaritas in my Bermuda shorts and watching it on the tube in this god forsaken place. Are palm trees really real or is that some kind of media hoax? If I did have a CD/video of the Nationals it might come in handy recruiting some of these other poor sailor souls here in the artic. I love my AI so much I sail it four seasons. But I sure would like some company up here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:23 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Doug, you need to come down!!! I will have a limited number of charter boats for those who come from out of state.

Regatta participants will get a DVD of the event. Plus, you will be on TV in Miami.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Jim----Thanks for the invite. I'm checking flights. Check your e-mail. Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim-----I regesterd today. My son and I are excited. Can't wait to get down there. ( I wonder what airline security will make of my turbo mirage drive?) Thanks again. Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:49 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Maine is now represented!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Staring at the ice here on Long Island, and seeing that Doug is going, I just checked my schedule, but it is impossible. Please make sure someone takes videos. It's going to be great. I'm so jealous.

John Long / Long Island