Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 08 or 07
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI, it is high summer here in oz.
Happily I am about to place an order on a new AI. Should I insist on an 08 model, or should I accept the 07 with less features (presumably).
And how could I differentiate? Serial number?
Good sailing/overwintering to all.

Post subject: AI 07 / 08?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mung,

Go for the 08. Any amount you're likely to save on the 07 you'll spend updating it to be as good as the 08. Save the aggravation of of having to make these changes yourself.

Make sure the 08 has the new improved Mirage Drive, Mast and Mast Cup, Rudder up/down control system. I also recommend getting the Turbo fins and the clips that go on the akas to hold your paddle.

I hope you enjoy your AI as much as I love mine. Its a great boat and I think Hobie has been very responsive to making the improvements that were "needed".

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

2008 for sure, new mast cup, rudder up/down installed instead of spending 5 or 6 hours installing it, paddle clips on the aka's and improved peddles

Post subject: 07 vs 08
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Insist on a 2008. I wish I had known I would have waited as there wasn't much of the season(NY) left when I purchased mine.I bought mine in Sept 07 and have low mileage on it. I just spent 4 hrs and $65USD to upgrade the rudder up down. The 2007 will not stay down when sailing - results in loss of rudder control. Hobie would not waver on making this a free upgrade. I am also showing wear in the attachment points aka to kayak. I've heard about mast cup problems as well on the'07, although I only had to bend the retention clip once to have it work properly. Paddle clips would also be beneficial and are included on the 08.
Hopefully Hobie has corrected the leakage problems , I take on alot of water especially when sailing. Draining the water out can be a hassle as you have to tip up the bow and turn it onto its side. I have heard someone had installed a bilge pump and 12v gel motorcycle battery to "bail out the water". Although there are a lot of "issues" the AI is a lot of fun and a blast to sail when the rudder stays down! I will find out if the rudder upgrade works in the spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How do I know I am getting a 08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The last two digits of the serial # will be "08". 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I am new here and have been reading with much interest about the AI. I just put down a wad on a new '07 here in Corpus. I got it for $2500 and was told it was a great deal. I haven't picked it up yet and won't for a week or so, but after reading posts here I am wondering if I made the right decision. It seems the '07 has a lot of flaws, and the '08 has had those flaws corrected. I just wanted to know if I should keep what I have or just get something else. I didn't really feel up to spending the extra $700 plus to get the '08, so any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Matt, I sent an e-mail to Hobie and don't know how long it will take to get a response, but any info you can provide me would be truly appreciated. I was really excited about picking the boat up next week, but a little discouraged now. What to do? What to do??? Thanks.

Howie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Howie, welcome to the forum. Several running changes were made on the '07 models and not all changes appeared on the earliest '08 models. As you probably know, Hobie improves their products continuously.

$700 is a nice savings. The '07s go just as fast as the '08s and have the same warranty. Referring to Matt's technical notes, those should be already incorporated with your boat or free. You can do the rudder kit if you need it and the Drive upgrade if you want it for a lot less than $700. The new mast base design would be nice if you have a lot of silt in the water or surf launches, but those are probably not the case in the Corpus area.

I'm sure the '09's will have some improvements that are yet to be seen. I enjoy the heck out of my '07. Unless the money is insignificant, I recommend you enjoy the savings! Unless you're going out in the Gulf hurricanes, I don't think you'll have any problems. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I echo Roadrunners post. I have questioned some of my purchases in the past but at sometime you got to go with it. The past posts show if you aren't planning to use the AI in extreme conditions the 07 should be fine. $700 saving is a big incentive.

Purchase and enjoy!
Just MHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner and BNelsonR for welcoming me, and for the good info on my recent '07 AI purchase. Yeah, I am really excited about getting in the darn thing and having some serious fun. I have also been fighting the decision of what to do about transporting the AI as well. First it was to get a trailer. Then I decided that since I already have a Yakima rack for my road bikes, why not just get some saddles and hullyrollers and leave it at that. But since my vehicle is pretty tall, and alot of the time I may be kayaking on my own, I decided to check out the Hullavator from Thule. So I am seriously considering that. Does anyone here have any idea as to a good place to purchase that from? I found EMS has the best price on the thing, but just not sure. Heck, if I get a trailer then it will carry two kayaks much easier and for probably less money than two Hullavators. Any insight would be welcome for sure. I am looking forward to having tons-o-fun on my new birthday/Christmas present to myself. Yaaah... As of now, my dealer says he only knows of a half dozen or so AI owners in the Corpus Christi area, so if anyone ever gets this way with theirs, I am sure we could work out some great fun along with food and drink. I am also a professional photographer part-time so would be great to maybe find some events where AIs are gonna be hangin' and get some good pics. I am going to keep the '07 thanks to the words of you guys and will do the mods to make it a tad better. How do I find out if Hobie will take care of any of the upgrades or furnish any parts, etc? Finally, I may need some advice when it comes to doing the mods, so hope you guys will be around to offer some assistance.Thanks again and I look forward to talking to you all soon. Be safe. Howie

Post subject: AI 07 / 08?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A sweeeet boat for $2,500. The 08 mods are great, but with the $700 you saved your way ahead. :D Good decision Howie!

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the backrub. I wasn't sure if I had made a good decision after reading such negative stuff. But you and a couple of others gave me the feeling I could make it all good. I will let you all know how things progress. Have a good one and thanks again.

Howie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Glad you made a decision on the year of AI.
I don't have a AI yet but sure would like to have one.
As far as transporting them, I bought a Rack and Roll trailer for my 2 hobies. They put your roof rack behind you. Their web site is rackandroll.com
They can be purchased at several places. They are a little expensive but worth the cost IMHO. They are light and one person can wheel them to the water with the kayak on it. Heck, you can pull it with your motorcycle.
And they fold up for storage. Well built and designed.

This is just information for you make another decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I actually took a look at the Rack N Roll trailers as the dealer here has one. I just didn't have the 2 grand to put on it since I just plopped down the $2500 for the boat. Actually not able to pick it up yet until I get a rack OR a trailer. Was looking at ordering the Hullivator this weekend and see how that works. I already have a Yakima rack for my bikes. Will see how it goes. Wish I could get out on the AI this weekend but very windy and very cold. But itsacomin'.

Howie