Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:32 am 
Hobie Team Member

Here's a homemade rod extension I made up to keep two lines a bit more separated. It's based on Sifisto's rig on KFS, but doesn't face fwd, just 90 degrees out. And 45 degrees from the vertical. Thanks to Mike for coaching me through this.

I promised Al Stillman I would post some pics when I had tested it.

Here's a shot of the extension with it's pin to keep it from rotating. You drill a hole through the wall of the molded holder, and the pin keeps the holder from rotating.

Note to fit, the wall of the PVC tube had to be ground down.

You will note that unlike Mike's rig there is only one tube.

Why?

I really don't think this rig would take a big pelagic hit. I'm using it for a bait trolling while trolling my main line, 50lb test, in the port holder. The bait line is only 15lb test with my max drag set at ~5lbs. so for small stuff the rig should work.

Of course you can never tell with PVC. Look what an ulua did to the fighting cup holder (3" pipe end cap)I had mounted on the center hatch. Tore the bottom right off!!! :shock:

Note over here, you can encounter "bait" in the form of aku (skipjack tuna) at any time while trolling for mahi, ono, etc. So having your bait rig out there on a shorter line works pretty good. Only one tangle so far.

Some other problems.

It's hard to line the pin up. An adaptation of this in future Hobie hulls should have some sort of ridges so when sliding any extension in everything lines up.

The 45 degrees keeps the rod out of the way from the mainsheet. Yet if I did not have the AI ama I really would not want to use it, with that weight out there, plus fish strike > You could huli even with a small one.

I really wanted a 30 degree off the vertical, but my irrigation pipe salesman says they only make 45.

It was a stretch to grab the rod with the extension pointing straight abeam. But facing aft in the horizontal plane at 45 (135 from bow) I would have had a harder time (Mike's rig doesn't have this problem. He put bends in there to have it face fwd).

I'd rather not have to use such extensions. I'd rather see their function build into the molded holders. For example I believe facing aft 135 from the bow is where Hobie's molded holders should face. (Several competitors do this now.)And 30 degrees off the vertical. Enough to keep the main sheet from sometimes knocking your rod out of it's holder.

They should also be moved fwd so you don't have to reach that far back. The rear drinking cup space screams for this solution.

Beef the built ins up. My max drag on the 50lb test is set at 15. Some guys will be using 80lbs and up on the AI. Could have drag set as high as 30lbs or better. What's a bill fish/ahi that hits that going to do to the hull? :roll:

Finally, Hobie might look at the Melton Swivler. Come up with some way of adding one to the molded rod holders. There are some occasions when you just have to leave the rod in there and the Swivler will keep the rod tip facing the right way while you furl the sail, get ready for the fight, etc.

http://www.meltontackle.com/catalog/pro ... t_id=13193

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Dan, I enjoy reading all of your post as your new inventions for the AI are always beneficial. Do you use that swivler in your AI? Looks really neat and I can see how it can help out during trolling and like you said about giving you enough time to furl the sail. Also, a little OT, I furl up my sail when I get to my fishing spot but I noticed last time with the swells, the mast kept swaying back and forth and it seem like it was creaking and making all kinds of noise. Its not to serious but it had me thinking of just pulling it out of the mast and bungie it down across the akas to stop any additional stress. How do you do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:24 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Check ASAP your hold down screws on the cross bar. Had mine loosen up once. Add loctite and sung up. I carry the allen key with me in my spare parts kit.

But I'm working on a sail holder. Pics soon.

Post subject: thanks DAN
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen that style of rod holder - a few of the guys around here including SIFSTO - MJ run like that

for around here (NE) it works great, a 40lb Striper or a big blue is the biggest fish we will hook up in shore

I like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do the rods ever get in the way of the sail?

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yes it does get in the way

what I have learned to do is just sail within the zone - the zone is the distance from rod to rod while up higher on the extensions

with the extensions in it lifts the rods higher giving me more zone to sail

so far it hasn't been to bad - also when I fish I have one rod in my hands anyway - so that opens it up on one side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:10 am 
Hobie Team Member

sweet

Only if they are in the original holders.

Mods like I posted get the rods out of the way.

Hopefully Hobie will consider modifying the angles I discussed for future models.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is another trolling rig option. I made it for my Revo, but it would probably work on an IA as well.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... php?t=3583

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your rod holder extensions work a treat. I absolutely love them. I use the rod leash to keep them out @ 45 degrees, when I'm done I can just unclip and rotate the the rods in. if your only using one of them for fishing you could swing the other forward and mount a gps or fish finder on the other..the posibilities are endless!!!! . I dont know about big pelargic hits but one of them held a 22.8 Lb king mackerel just fine this afternoon and thats the biggest fish I have ever caught out here!!

So BIG THANKS to Aloha Dan!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip1el wrote:
Your rod holder extensions work a treat. I absolutely love them. I use the rod leash to keep them out @ 45 degrees, when I'm done I can just unclip and rotate the the rods in. if your only using one of them for fishing you could swing the other forward and mount a gps or fish finder on the other..the posibilities are endless!!!! . I dont know about big pelargic hits but one of them held a 22.8 Lb king mackerel just fine this afternoon and thats the biggest fish I have ever caught out here!!

So BIG THANKS to Aloha Dan!!!

Inspiring stuff!!!!!
Great photos and very impressive catch Philip1el 8) :)
Also a BIG THANKS to Aloha Dan 8) :)

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:41 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Nice fish

I like your emergency light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Its a photosensitive 10 dollar chinese made net light, fishermen here attach them to buoys to mark nets, traps. just screw down the top and it will start to flash as soon as it gets dark. thers a lot of boat traffic at night and many small boats carry no nav lights whatsoever, so you need to be seen.

with 2 holders each @ 45 degrees out i have a lot of distance between my lines. I did get them crossed yesterday but that was because I turned too quickly towards the fish on one line so it passed under the other one i was reeling in...no problem I got my empty line out it was just the hook that snagged the taut line and i was easily able to lean out and unhook it.

What is so odd to me as someone thats only been fishing for a year is how unresponsive a fish of this size/power was, the reel played out so evenly that i was sure I was sailing against the dead weight of an old net. It did pull me towards the rocks for about 10 mins but so gently i thought it might be just current. It wasnt until the fish surfaced under my bow that i realised i had a catch. A 2 kilo trevally kicks up far more of a fight.

Sorry i should be posting this onto the fishing forum....next time!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dsafety wrote:
Here is another trolling rig option. I made it for my Revo, but it would probably work on an IA as well.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... php?t=3583

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'd really like to see your rod holder setup.

I don't suppose you could post the pics on here. I don't really want to have to register with the other forum just to download those pics.

If it's easier email me the pics (dave at davejones dot com dot au) and I'll post them for you.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Made these for my AI. works good.

http://forum.aquahunters.com/index.php?topic=1423.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Mongoose,

Thanks for offering but please don't crosslink forums that require people to join just to look at one post.

Maybe cut and paste the thread here and link relevant pictures?

Dave