Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: As luck would have it
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After a couple of months of looking around, trying out a friend's Outback (and really liking it) and starting SUP surfing, I got some junkmail today and lo and behold, Ranger is selling the AI for $4000. I have decided to go and buy mine tomorrow, whilst this price lasts. The forum has been tremendous help in shaping what I should buy. I live in Geraldton in Western Australia and we have some world class wind, but also some beautiful quiet days(now and then!!!). It seemed a shame to buy something that I could only use for fishing, with all that free energy around, hence the decision on the AI as opposed to the Outback. My concern is that the wind may be a lot more than I can handle in summer. My last sailing was done about 30 years ago in Hobie 16's. Are there legal requirements i.t.o. safety equipment etc. that I have to comply with? I have had a look at what people recommend here on the forums, but as I will start real slowly in protected waters, it will probably take me a bit of time to get all together. At the moment wind speeds are between 10-20 knots most days with a few that have a portion of the daybetween 0-10 knots. Any thoughts on what kind of days I should choose to start?
I hope that they have in stock in Perth, which will mean that I will be up and running next week.
Is there anyone in this area that can give a few pointers? I am used to boating/fishing and the area around here, but not from a sailing perspective.

Looking forward to next weekend

Coen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Coen, here are the safety regs for WA: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/19089.asp
20 knots is a bit challenging when you are starting, but in no time, you'll be going whoopee! on 20 knot days. 10 knots is probably ideal while you are getting the feel of it. If the wind starts gusting much higher than that, just furl the sail until you are comfortable. You can always pedal home. Have fun :D.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hehe, just don't try and pedal home directly into the wind. I tried that once early on as a practice test to see what i could do, and I think I was only making about 0.8 to 1mph head way. The winds were 15-20 mph. Still impressive though, the AI gives me a lot of confidence when out on the water.

I agree, start on 5-10knot days and build up to 20kts. The most I ever plan to go out in is 10-20kts, because we all know there are those days when it picks up. I don't want to be out in higher and have it pick up :)

JG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. I will have a good look at the regs.Now it's just a question of waiting for the AI to get here. I should know later today when that will be. This is like being a kid a week before Xmas! Can't wait to get onto the water ... :D

Fair winds!!

Coen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you drink lots of beer you will float on your beer belly without a life jacket.

Drinking beer makes you safe.

Beer=safety.

These are just some of the things I know about... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't really need much more beer to float on my belly! :)

Well, it's official ....... my red AI is arriving on Saturday. Unfortunately sans 1 sail batten, as this was the last 1 in WA and it had been "cannabilised" for a batten! So it means another week of waiting before sailing it, but at least I can familiarise myself. And the forecast for Sunday is so beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can sail it fine without the batten. Don't let that stop you. :)

Also, when you do tie the batten in, don't just follow the directions, tie it every which way, with permanent knots! More AI's I've met have a missing (lost) batten and not even known it.

Oh, and Congrats on your AI :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry for joking around... but I would do exactly as you say... I`d wait for the second battan... although you could easily sail/float away!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd just go for it! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're using the cart to launch it, don't forget to remove it once you're in the water or you'll feel like you're peddaling uphill and getting nowhere fast :shock: :oops: :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am making a list of the all the good (and the facetious) advice flowing from this forum ......... but thanks for the ecouragement, all :D

Hopefully I can make a contribution, more useful than idol chat, to the forum once my AI is on the water ( Sunday?)

I have just noticed that the wave height forecast for Sunday is 6m, although the wind is 5-10 knots ........ this could get interesting

Coen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DocS wrote:
I am making a list of the all the good (and the facetious) advice flowing from this forum ......... but thanks for the ecouragement, all :D

Hopefully I can make a contribution, more useful than idol chat, to the forum once my AI is on the water ( Sunday?)

I have just noticed that the wave height forecast for Sunday is 6m, although the wind is 5-10 knots ........ this could get interesting

Coen

That's what the pedals are for :wink: It will be a blast!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DocS wrote:

Coen

Coen, you don't seem to have much in the way of inland waterways around Geraldton. Are you planning to go into the ocean in a 6m (18ft) swell???
Hang on, I just checked Swellnet. The forecast for Geraldton on Sunday is for a 6 foot swell - whew :shock:.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What a relief!!!! Although, even 6 foot swells will be interesting for me..... :D

Coen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

6' swells are not normally a problem for the AI, but not on the first time out. :shock: