Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New AI for me!
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I'm Phil, sailing in the Fl panhandle. Have maybe 15 hours on the boat most of it in 18 to 25 kts (a Hobie day!) I have had the aka pins get very loose already and have done the felt mod which seems to have done the job. On my last outing the furling drum came unglued and slid up the mast causing it come adrift. I managed to get home without further damage and have epoxied it back together with System 3 epoxy.
I haven't read of this happening before.
I have also installed the barber hauler setup I saw on the other forum but mounted the cleats on the aka's and used a continous line. Works great and is wonderful for long downwind tacks.
Two of my neighbors have gotten AI's now and so we have a little fleet in the bayou.
GWIZ, I would like to do the spray shield like you have. Where did you get the fastners that you hook to the vinyl, or who makes them. I have found the fastners for shade screen but am not happy with it.
I am coming off of large tri's and cats and this is just the cat's meow. With the upcoming gas crisis it is the perfect cheap recreation and food gathering boat. Now I need to learn how to really fish!
Some video and pictures can be found at

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... rsIdsigns/

I have learned a bunch from you all and will continue to do so. :D

Cheers

Phil

PS...
I was embarrased badly one day leaving the cart under the boat in the excitement of it all while trying to sail. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on your AI, Phil. Sorry you have had a problem with the furling drum, but you seem to have taken care of that. I think there has been at least one post about that drum coming loose. Hopefully, your boat will be trouble free from now on.

Great pictures. Neat barber hauler. You are definitely not the first (or last?) to leave your cart under the boat while sailing.

Please sign up on our FL list discussion and get your friends to sign up. Maybe we can all get together sometime. Cedar Key would be a good central location w/ good sailing opportunities, if we could come up with a date.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Where did you get the fasteners that you hook to the vinyl
Northern Tool carries them here. They might be available in other stores, they are called Tarp Grabbers.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks gwiz

I checked Northern's website and didn't find them but found some other places to order them.
I am thinking about doing some foam/fiberglass flares that could be somehow stuck on the sides to do the job. More trouble than its worth most likely but what the heck!
And what weight of vinyl did you use? I see WalMart has several different weights.

Thanks
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

20 mil, it is the heaviest available at my local fabric store. I still have not settled on a design. The one I am using at present was the easiest and wasted the least but doesn't go far enough forward to catch all the spray.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the videos Phil, I enjoyed watching them. How fast were you going? I keep replaying your videos to see more of the Barber Hauler rig you have setup, do you have any additionals pictures posted? Is this like a whisker pole for downwind sailing? I just use a 2' bungee cord tied to my ama handle to pull the sail out 90 degrees for down wind sailing, been workin great so far. Thanks.

Post subject: Barber Hauler
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Phil, thanks a lot for the pictures and excellent video. I expect my new A1 tomorrow and it's going to be interesting....so much to learn.

As I write, force 2 to 4 expected over the weekend so it will be a baptism of fire. I'm fascinated by your barber hauler, seems a great piece of handiwork but no matter how often I look at the picture, I'm not sure I have the competency to fit it or to find the right parts here. How difficult was it to set up the barber hauler the way you show on the pictures? Do you detach it completely for upwind performance?

Someone else mentioned a bungee cord that works well but I confess to being lost at how to fit it. I plan on visiting a marine store to see if I can find the necessary pieces plus the recommended emergency kit mentioned in a different post.

As I say, lots to learn and so much helpful advice.

Any and all assistance very much appreciated.

Thanks Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A 2' long bungee attached to the back ama tie down works great you need 2, 1 for each side and you will want to secure the hook on the ama tie down or it will shoot off into the drink should you lose your grip when hooking up. You can use pliers to close the hook, and you can attach the other hook to the support strut when not in use to keep it handy.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much gwiz for the explanations. Now I'll get myself 2 x 2' bungee cords and get ready to try it out. I understand the principle and love the simplicity. Doubtless it will take some trial and error to figure it out but where I live, the downwind segment will help get me home for that's the normal wind direction in the afternoons.

Post subject: Barber Hauler.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Phil, what did you use for the cam cleats? Do you have a model?
It would be good to post a diagram of the setup on this site.
How do you use the barber hauler on a close reach?
Thanks.

In New Mexico the winds are light one day and heavy the next especially before those great summer T-storms. Just did a 10.5 mile tour of one lake in a little under 1.5 hours including .5 hour pedaling up the Pecos river from Santa Rosa lake to check out the jumping smallmouth bass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guys,
Sorry for the delay, it has been almost windless here in the panhandle.
I have been out several times with 2 other AI's racing in winds of 8 to 10 mph. What I have found is that the barber hauler seems not to be that big of help in the overall scheme of things. It is easy to use but the extra rigging can be a bit of a pain so I have removed it. The other thing that I wonder about is the strain that it puts on the back of the ama. When I run it out and than crank the main in you can see the rear of the ama pull up and feel the twist. Most likely not a big issue but a worry none the less.
Bottom line is that it feels like it really works but when one on one racing it's not worth the extra gear for any performance, if any, that is gained.
I will put it back on and take some more pictures for those that want to try it.
The cleats are mini Ronstan, They could be mini anythings. I made the mounts from scrap aluminum and used a SS hose clamp to attach them to the beams. The system is centered while close reaching.
I think Hobie did a great job in the sail design area coming up with a shape that works in all winds and points of sailing for the most part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some type of barber hauler works great when the wind is very light to allow sailing. I find here that I can only sail across the wind until it's over 6 mph and sailing speed is usually 1/2 of the wind speed. When the wind gets up over 10 mph, I can sail faster at 45 degrees from down wind (broad reach) that straight down wind (run). Plus at over 10 mph here, the wind waves develop, and we all know how the AI likes to go through waves vs over them :) so a turn at the bottom of each wave is required, making a broad reach much faster. No need for a barber hauler then.

Kayaking Bob
Maui

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for those comments guys on the barber hauler. I reckon that I can probably live without it besides, I'm worried about how to set it up in such a fashion that it doesn't become a pain.

The winds here recently have been far from normal and that has probably helped cloud the issue for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A simple barber hauler I keep in each AI is just a strong string and a stainless steel hook. I have a bungee on the sail that I hook the SS hook to and loop the string around the eyelet post on the rear aka and cleat to the plastic cleat on the side of the boat.

A quick, cheap barber hauler anyone can afford that's out of the way when not in use.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Kayaking Bob for the great pictures which shows the simplicity of your Barber. I now understand it and will have a go at something similar.

Now for the next dumb question......do you leave it rigged all the time and just use it as necessary or do you rig it when required on the water?