Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Such a bummer.
The AI sail was in its Hobie black bag.
The last time I sailed it was on October 20-21 and I just pulled the trailer in the back yard and and forgot about it. I went out of town in late December and came back to find my mailbox vandalized. I looked around my yard and noticed my AI sail was missing BUT there were several other loose things that could have been easily stolen and yet nothing else was missing....So have to wonder if it just fell off after I loaded it on the trailer at the boat ramp at Big Talbot Island. Maybe I forgot to strap it down tight on the trailer and drove off and it fell on the road. The park rangers for Talbot Island checked if it was reported and they said nothing like that has been found. I'll wait and buy a new one at some point but this tight economy has me watching my pennies. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will turn up....but that's not bloody likely.

Last edited by denizen on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd be going with stolen, police report, insurance claim ....

(And removing the bit in your post suggesting you might have lost it....)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a bummer mate. I am presuming the sail and mast were as one and if so you would think it unlikely that vandals would bother to cart the 16 foot package away too far before they got sick and tired of it. Mickey and I have discussed the possiblity of leaving amas and sails tied to the trailers or roof racks whilst using the kyak only and feel there is a risk at launching ramps or beaches of thieves doing what they do best. Hope it finds its way back home for you somehow.....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

geocacher wrote:
I'd be going with stolen, police report, insurance claim ....

(And removing the bit in your post suggesting you might have lost it....)

Dave

Dave
Have you taken out a policy specifically covering your AIs? or do you have some other form of general property insurance?
If so what's your excess like and does it give you peace of mind for what it costs??
Mickey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If there were any other things stolen on my property, I would indeed have filed a police report. But I left my truck unlocked and there were lots of expensive goodies in there they could easily taken. I don't have theft insurance or kayak insurance. The main reason why I think it even could have been theft is that the mailbox had the door ripped off it as if to spite me, and my mail was in the ditch. I was thinking Jeez, I don't have any known enemies..... but then I then began thinking about a real estate related law suit I initiated and had to think...... HMMMMM?
I wonder if they are pi**ed off about me going to court to get back what I am able to prove with thousands of dollars worth of surveying is mine.

Unless somebody reads this post and writes "Oh hey, I found that in a roadside ditch" I'm just resigned to ordering another one. Hey, I'll get more exercise without it. Sailing is kind of lazy in an AI.