Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's that time of the year again for another Watertribe Challenge. This year there are more Hobie Islands than ever. More boats registered than ever. You still have time to register if you have been thinking about doing this race.

http://www.watertribe.com/

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there so you can get a good idea what this race is about. Search Watertribe Everglades Challenge.

Race starts March 1 @ 07:00 from the Fort Desoto Park Beach. If you can not participate come down and see the spectacle. It is probably the single largest small boat start on the east coast.

This year I am going for comfort instead of speed. I am tired of being cold and wet and would like to see more of the beautiful Florida shore line in the day light. If my body holds out by Check Point #2, I will attempt the Wildernesss Waterway.

Once the race starts you can track all the racers on the Watertribe Mapper. As always there will be plenty of comments from spectators on this forum...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree Paul. You've won this race a couple times, why not take easy and enjoy it. Nightmare, as its name implies, ought to be fun. It is actually a beautiful stretch of interior Everglades--really interior--sometimes with 50-100# tarpon rolling within feet of you. It got its name from power boaters who used it to avoid bad weather on the Gulf of Mexico. It can be difficult if a tree or 2 has fallen to block your way. If that is the case, it is "drag over" time. All fun, if you are not in too big of a hurry.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

HOW TO USE THE WATERTRIBE MAPPER:

The Watertribe Mapper is located @:
http://www.watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeGMapper.aspx

The Mapper is a unique function of Watertribe that opens up the event to the outside world. In the Mapper you can:

1) See the location of all participants during a race. All are required to carry a SPOT GPS device. If they do not use the tracking function, they have to send OK signal several times a day.

2) You can filter down to a particular Class OR Individual. By selecting "Show Tracks and All Waypoints" you can see the complete route if the SPOT is set in Tracking mode.
=====
Example: Select...Event: EC2014; Class: All; Challenger: Coastie; Display Detail: Show Tracks and all waypoints;
***Push "Regenerate View" button. You have to do this each time you set a filter. You will see the latest practice track for Coastie. The map constantly updates so Coastie might be off the map if he has not used the SPOT in a while;

3) Each Watertribe member is assigned a icon based on the Watertribe Rogues Gallery http://www.watertribe.com/RoguesGallery/Default.aspx. You can also see OK and HELP with additional detail of time/speed and little yellow triangles that are SPOT tracker updates.

4) HISTORY: As a competitor I find this the most useful function. You can go back and see the course others took in the past, where they stopped and how long it took them. You can compare year by year. From the sail boat tacks you can figure out the wind directions.
======
Example: My last race, the failed NCPC. Select: NCC2013 =>DogsLife => Show Tracks and All Waypoints;

I have spent many hours using the MAPPER studying every detail. I would say that it is the MAPPER and dreaming about the races that brought me to WATERTRIBE...plan, dream and then take the step, you will never look back...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is the last week to register for the Watertribe 2014 Everglades Challenge. There are more Hobie Adventure AI & TI's registered than ever. They give you plenty of time to finish this course. Currently there are 144 boats registered for the EC, UF and UM. If you do not have the week then try the 60 mile Ultra Marathon. That is just a weekend.

You will never regret the decision....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Susan Fox, aka FlyingFox, using an AI, will be a first for the Everglades Challenge--the woman and an AI, that is.

Also, Hobie's Jim Czarnowski, aka PenquinMan, is back with an AI and "prototype jib." He had a prototype jib last year. Still prototyping I guess. This does seem to be a typical pattern for Hobie Inc.: demonstrate prototypes in the EC for a couple years before going on the market. We AI users may have a commercial jib available before next year's EC--just a prediction.

Joshua Morgan (aka TideTraveller) is going for comfort this year with a Sawyer Expedition Canoe. Joshua is a terrific competitor, professional firefighter, and all-around great guy. He did his first EC in an AI--I think it was his and Dogslife's performances a couple years ago, that turned people's head, and made Hobie AI/TIs a fixture in this adventure race.

Tom & Debbie Turner (aka, DivesWithKraken & WyomingWolf) are 1st time competitors in their TI. They've done a couple Everglades trips with us. They are tough (Debbie doesn't have the name "WyomingWolf" for nothing) and, contrary to most 1st timers, will probably finish barring some misfortune.

Denise Parrish (aka Dietired2) and Joshua Bowers (aka Dietired1) are doing the whole EC in their Tandem. They did a 2-day run from Chokoloskee to Flamingo a month ago, so they should know exactly what to expect--except for that little part from Flamingo to Key Largo (the donnybrook for more than one WaterTriber.) They have lots of experience and will do fine, I'm sure.

backwaterbob (aka Bob Nichols) is back again. He is a busy guy and a couple yrs ago made it all the way to Ponce de Leon Bay-Shark River in his tandem before the mast base broke. He was doing great, and it was a shame that his TI let him down. But, he's back and will be worth watching.

Dogslife (aka Paul Kral) using his AI claims he is going for leisure and comfort this year--sure, Dogs, sure.

Lots of Hobie boats including AIs and TIs. Hopefully, the TIs will have better luck this year.

You can checkout the WaterTribe's EC2014 roster at http://www.watertribe.com/Events/ShowRosters.aspx

DogsLife wrote:
This is the last week to register for the Watertribe 2014 Everglades Challenge....They give you plenty of time to finish this course....You will never regret the decision....

Yes, plenty of time--8 days at about 38 miles/day. Most competitors finish in 5 or 6 days (60 miles/day and 50 miles/day). Yes, Dogs, "plenty of time." There are still 24 hrs in a "day," so plenty of time. 300 miles in 8 days...plenty of time. You practically have me talked into trying this some day. Plenty of time. Let's see, hummm, the last time I did 60 mi in one day...hummm...geez, can't remember. New moon on Mar 1...won't be able to see much further than my headlamp field. Maybe I need to get a newer, more powerful headlamp...hummm. Maybe I'll do it next year, Dogs. But, I'll be watching you, et al, on the mapper. Yeah, that's good. I'll watch the mapper.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well if you have not registered for the 2014 WATERTRIBE EVERGLADES CHALLENGE than you are out of luck. Start planning for next year. This is a RECORD year. Chief just posted the count:142 Boats !!!

Class 1 - 44
Class 2 - 15
Class 3 - 10
Class 4 - 27
Class 5 - 16
Hobie AI - 8
Hobie TI - 15 (8 are doubles and 7 are singles)
Hobie Cat - 3
Hobie IM - 2 (these are Hobie AIs or TIs with non standard sails)
Class M - 2 (these are Class 4 boats that are switching to another class for the river section of the UF)

Hobie Adventure Islands are the only boat types with their own class. It's a HOBIE regatta.

If you are local in Florida come cheer us on. Race starts at 07:00 on Saturday March 1. If you would like to see the boats and talk to the crews come the day before. Spectators are always welcome. Some regulars like Chekika attract their own attention...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apparently the Island Boats have proven their mettle to the extent that folks have a great deal of confidence in them now. As I recall, the first time an Island entered the event many people thought it would fold like a house of cards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I appreciates the updates from Dogslife and Keith. It is truly exciting to see so many AIs and TIs in the race this year. I'll be at the starting point the day before the race and this year I may try to head to one of the check in points. The participants are really heroes to this arm chair adventurer!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What amazes me is the number of Male/Female pairs this year. When I go out with my wife I have to be close to a decent bathroom so our trips are never too long. There are also two Father/Daughter teams. A event like this can either make life time bonds or destroy them. When there are two you have to always think about the other person. Much more strenuous than making decisions for your self. I have made some very dumb moves that I will not admit to anyone else. How do you share command? How do you have privacy to do nature's work? I would like to hear about how this works out. There have been several successful couples in the EC including Hobie's own design engineer Penguin Man...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think it is that much of a deal, Dogs. I've sea kayaked & camped with my wife, Nancy, for years. Done week long trips through the Everglades, and 2-week, self-supported, self-guided trips in Alaska with her, and really never had any problems. In the lower states, she has usually had her own kayak or AI, but in Alaska (& Yellowstone), we used our tandem Klepper. Small problems, sure, but nothing that affected our relationship. We have "small" problems at home.

I'm sure father/daughter teams will have the father trying his best to make it an enjoyable trip for his daughter as an EC can be. I doubt she would be doing it, if she did not want to.

As the saying goes, "Attitude is the difference between adventure and ordeal."

That said, are there going to be newbie couples dropping out? You bet. It happens to many 1st timers, no matter what the boat, single or tandem. The DieTireds (Denise Parrish & Joshua Bowers first signed up for the EC2011 and failed. They came back and did 2 WaterTribe Marathons (1st leg of the EC, 60 mi.) And, this year, they are going to do the whole EC. I'll bet, unless there is no wind for a week, they will complete the EC. Heck, if there is no wind, there will be a lot of sailing vessels which do not complete the EC. The last couple years, the EC has been pretty windy, but, this year's weather has been very variable--and lots of "no wind" days. The Hobie AI/TIs are going to suffer if it is a no-wind year.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Watertribe Everglades Challenge starts in 10 days, 10 hours on March 1 @ 07:00 Eastern time.

The instruction to use the Mapper to follow the race is listed above.

The official Watertribe Forum is:
http://watertribe.org/forums/

I find it sometimes hard to post to this area so I will most likely use the the unofficial Facebook Group Page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/440773022707818/

And if it is anything like last year Keith will keep this thread going...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is my Tandem Island rigged with a make shift shelter to get out of the Rain and/or Bugs should I not be able to setup camp on land.

Here's a little more info on my setup at Kayak Sailing Magazine:
http://www.kayaksailingmagazine.com/index.php/en/easyblog/entry/plan-b-camping-hobie-island-style.html

~Butch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a reminder that the Watertribe events started this morning. So far it's hard to tell what's going on. Their tracker is down and there are limited posts on the Watertribe Facebook page and Forum.

Hopefully we'll hear soon from some of our Island owners that are watching the race.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the Everglades Challenge (race, pure & simple) started this morning. After a party in Ft Desoto Campground Thursday night, on Friday everyone got serious about getting their gear on the beach, inspected, and ready to go for today at 7:00 AM. Everybody was there, including a bunch of TIs (tandem & solo teams) and about 1/2 as many AIs. Lots of great rigs. All in all about 150 boats this year, compared to 105 last year.

I'll report more with pictures, but I just got into Miami after a long day (Up at 5:30 AM, EC Start at 7 AM, break camp, drive 4.5 hrs back to MIA in moderately heavy traffic--all fun except driving back.) Rick Parks, aka InTents, is beginning to feel frisky after a double knee replacement. He is even trying to talk me into doing the EC next year in a tandem, borrowed from Charlie Fast, aka Bosab.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next