Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West coast watertribe?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sit with envy and watch the folks in Florida having such a good time. Is there a west coast version of any sort on the west coast?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sit on the east coast in Florida totally envious of the guys in the Sierra club out west sailing down rapids, actually I think it was posted on the island club web site a while back a video of one of the Sierra club guys sailing down some rapids backwards ( I don't think on purpose). I just remember thinking how fun that group would be.
Hey if you can get some interest I'm sure a west coast watertribe could be formed. You guys would have a leg up on us with the Hobie factory right there, I know they are huge sponsors of local groups and causes. There may be similar groups to the watertribe already formed.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not that I know of. I always wondered if the sf bay wouldn't be a great watertribe like adventure. How about Sacramento to sf?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you check the Watertribe forum, Chief was talking about doing a race up in Washington next year in the Puget Sound. He might be thinking it over when we told him there were no palm trees and white beaches in Washington.

You can always start a Watertribe "like" race. If you look at the history of Watertribe you will see they did many of the early races with only a small core group. It was the internet that made is so successful. I watched the race for eight years before joining. Getting the kids out of the house was a prerequisite...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

California maybe hasn't had a "WaterTribe" group because it doesn't have a "great" river going down to the Pacific. There is the Yukon 1000 or 1200, that's miles, and a couple races in Texas (Missouri 200 or 400 or?) I think the Columbia River in Washington would be a great race, but I do NOT plan on going there.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
California maybe hasn't had a "WaterTribe" group because it doesn't have a "great" river going down to the Pacific.

Keith

Hmmm, Sacramento River is no creek. The delta is one of the largest estuary systems on the west coast. I think the SF Bay Delta would work well for such an event. Sausalito to Sacramento? What a hoot!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chrissy field to Sac!

Do it in summer, and you'd be running downwind(ish) the whole way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

coachstevo wrote:
Chrissy field to Sac!

Do it in summer, and you'd be running downwind(ish) the whole way.

In that case run it from Sac to San Jose LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:18 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

We've done Channel Island (Santa Rosa & Santa Cruz) and Catalina. Not really racing, but they make for amazing camping trips! Perhaps more enduro style racing would be better there so everyone starts each day at the same time and can camp together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are lots of similar groups and events. Next weekend, the West (read:Gulf) Coast Trailer Sailor Squadron is converging in my area. In a couple of months, the Florida 120, an event invented by Watertriber PlumbCrazy, happens up in the panhandle. Then there's the trailersailor.com BEER Cruise and the Texas 200. I could do something crazy in a small boat nearly every weekend of the year if I set my mind and a large budget to the task!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking shorter enduro races for the bay area with out the camping. One end of the bay and back. The races could be 8,10,12, or 24 hours long. Or some approximation of those times . I think the only camping option would be in the San Juan islands. Stunningly beautiful. Protected waters and such. Heck you could race to Canada and back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've found nothing happening like it in Oregon. I've thought about starting one up for the Lower Columbia River Water Trail (see http://www.estuarypartnership.org/explore/water-trail). I would definitely participate/volunteer if I heard of such a race in the works.
YakAttaque

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Double-post.

Last edited by hesedguy on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had to join the forum when I saw this post! My wife and I got a sailing dinghy last spring ('13) and watching Youtube videos getting hyped for the sailing season I found the Everglades Challenge. I searched and searched for something like it, but couldn't find anything. Soo... we decided to do a trip on our own down the Columbia. We sailed from Beacon Rock to Portland and has a BLAST! If someone wants to coordinate (YakAttaque) I would love to help out and participate!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hesedguy wrote:
I had to join the forum when I saw this post! My wife and I got a sailing dinghy last spring ('13) and watching Youtube videos getting hyped for the sailing season I found the Everglades Challenge. I searched and searched for something like it, but couldn't find anything. Soo... we decided to do a trip on our own down the Columbia. We sailed from Beacon Rock to Portland and has a BLAST! If someone wants to coordinate (YakAttaque) I would love to help out and participate!

Just checked a map of your route. Fun! I am a day’s drive away in Norcal and would be willing to make the trip. What was your total time and distance? How much time is lost heading up stream? I am looking at some ideas for routes on San Francisco Bay.