Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was talk of prearranging sites for competitors this year, which might make a stop at the Park ranger station unnecessary. I think there are several reasons that will never occur. (1) Park Rules--you must sign up for a permit in person no more than 24 hrs in advance. Why should you be any different than the average person? (2) This type inconvenience, some are called "filters," is just one part of the Everglades Challenge--it is not the purpose of the organizers (Chief) to make the race easier on participants. (3) Kayakers, especially, will arrange to share a permit so that not everyone has to stop. (4) You do not have to get a permit if a. you camp on your boat and b. keep your boat away from official backcountry campsites. Participants can be very creative--see our own thread about sleeping on your boat--about setting up camp on their boat. Of course, camping on your boat in the Everglades may have its own risks--alligators easily climb out on docks & decks. There is the relatively new, non-native threat of constrictor snakes which can reach 150-180#.

It is all part of the EC, and everybody loves it.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The following post appeared on the WaterTribe site this morning:

Quote:
WindWatcher was airlifted by the Coast Guard off SirTackAlot's Hobie TI near Broad River early Tuesday after he became ill and then hypothermic. He was taken to the hospital in Marathon where he is recovering and reportedly making jokes. SirTackAlot stayed with the boat and is bringing it to Flamingo, where his wife and daughter (WindWatcher's wife) are.

Special thanks to Scareman for helping establish communications between the family in Flamingo (their phones didn't work here) and another daughter who got the notice about the emergency Spot message.

Lugnut

SirTackAlot and WindWatcher were piloting a Hobie Tandem. The rescue occurred just after midnight, Eastern Standard Time in USA. It must have been quite dramatic (traumatic?) for WTers in the area, since the incoming helicopter could certainly be seen for miles. Apparently, WindWatcher is doing fine. He was rescued in the area of Highland Beach where, last December, a pod of Pilot whales were beaching themselves and dying. About 11 whales died out of the pod of 51. Fortunately, with the encouragement of humans, they finally returned to deep water.

Some WTers are probably still wondering what happened, since there is no outside communication in the area.

Here is my annotated GE view of the area. The rescue occurred near the Broad River & Highland Beach--the red dot.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

glad to hear he's OK .. thanks for the running play by play Keith

.. wonder if thats the first ever bucket-pluck off an AI/TI ?

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update – Tuesday, 9:40 AM

Most AI/Tis are getting near CP2 (Chokoloskee) and beyond. They will head to Flamingo CP3 either via the Wildness Waterway (tough for an Island) or head out the passes and proceed down the coast. After that it will be the 35 mi slog across eastern Florida Bay—a very shallow area.

Here is my annotated GE view of where most AI/TI boats will be today.

Dogslife is doing the WW and is currently in the Broad River area where the traumatic helicopter rescue of WindWatcher occurred last night. Dogs will shortly head down Broad to the section known as Nightmare. I’ve done Nightmare several times in a sea kayak, and, for the world, I can’t see why a Hobie AI/TI would do it—just for a $1.98 gator tooth? Actually, it is a beautiful little stretch, but you will have to take down your sail, and pull in your akas/amas. You may even have to haul your boat over a downed tree or 2. If lucky, you will have a 150# tarpon roll next to your boat—a little scary when it first happens in your sea kayak.

TIs--Most TIs still in the race are doing fine.

SirTackalot (aka Roy Edwards) and WindWatcher (aka Alex Wilson)—In a dramatic rescue off Highland Beach last night (early Tuesday AM), WindWatcher was airlifted to Marathon in the Florida Keys. He apparently is doing fine. I suspect it was a case of becoming dehydrated and pushing too hard. SirTackalot is still piloting his TI. He is currently in the lead of all Islands. He is nearing Ponce de Leon Bay—he will probably go inside there and make his way to Flamingo. Or, he may still be planning on finishing the race solo. If that is the case, he will likely stay on the outside, rounding Cape Sable on his way to Flamingo and CP3.
    PedalOn (aka Roy MacPhail) and Sherlock (aka ArDelia MacPhail)—Made good time during the night. They are currently a few miles off the coast near Highland Beach.
    ChumBucket (aka Bill Wickman) and TriSerpa (aka Steve Morris)— Made good time last night. Heading down Broad R to Nightmare.
    Pelican (aka Nick Hall) and falcon (aka Mark Hall)Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) Into Chokoloskee CP2—Can’t find them on the tracker this morning. Maybe have their SPOT turned off.
    BackwaterBob (aka Bob Nichols), PrivateHam (aka Michael Prince) & Jimbo (aka James Pritchard), Triman (aka Mark Ellison) — All stopped at Chokoloskee CP2.
    Sundance (aka James Connell) and GoldenSun (Victoria Connell)Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) This Father/daughter team are at Chok CP2.
    DivesWithKraken (aka Tom Turner) and WyomingWolf (aka Debbie Turner)—Out and moving smartly south of Cape Romano. They are about 20 mi from Everglades City/Chokoloskee CP2.
    Dietired (aka Josh Bowers) and dietired2 (aka Denise Parris)—Sleeping in this morning, just north of Marco Island. They are doing fine.
    Moose (aka Lee Havins) and Squirrel (Kimberly Havins)—Their SPOT is not tracking properly, but apparently they are making good progress.

There is no shame in not finishing. Not finishing usually simply means you have a much, much better understanding o the demands of the Everglades Challenge. Usually, you have another opportunity to finish. And, the WaterTribers will always welcome you.

AIs—All AIs are doing great!

Dogslife (aka Paul Kral)—See above. Go Dogs!
    PenquinMan (aka Jim Czarnowski) — Jim is in the Hobie IM class. Moving nicely this morning down the Wilderness Waterway back bays—due east of Pavilion Key.
    Juscuz (John Sims)—Nearing Indian Key Pass where he will move through to Everglades City & Chokoloskee CP2
    AhMaChamee (aka Bryan Tindell)—Made great time last night. About 2-3 hrs from Chokoloskee CP2
    Dorsalis (aka Charles (Chip) Southerland)—Moving niely down the coast, north of Marco Island, doing 4 kn.
    Chief (aka Steve Isaacs)—He is in the Ultimate Florida race (circumnavigate Florida in about 30 days.) Moving at about 2.5 kn offshore north of Marco Island.
    Kokopedal (aka Ray Jones)—South end of Naples, stopped. Kokopedal found a leak in his AI and has a temporary patch.

My apologies for any errors or omissions. Please make additions and corrections as you see fit.
Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kokopedal (AI) has dropped. Here is his post from the WaterTribe forum:
Quote:
I learned my lesson to use a dry suit or at least dry pants if sitting in sea water for a long time. It appears I got swimmer's itch (also called cercarial dermatitis, which is a parasite from snails, birds and mammals in shallow water, according to medicinenet.com), but it could be just sea lice, though the blisters are larger than sea lice normally cause.

I dropped out yesterday (Monday) after taking on water in my AI off of Naples. IszataRock and I went to the beach to find the leak and repair the hole that had totally swamped my main hull. It was in the seat attachment plugs where we found and repaired the leak (thanks for your help IszataRock). While all my gear was in drybags, many of them leaked (apparently from chaffed holes) and all my batteries and some electronics and other gear was ruined. Because of our repair (bubble gum covered by Gorilla Tape filled the holes), it wasn't easy to secure the seat in place, causing me to lay back in the sea water for the several miles to the the next inlet, Gordon Pass.

I have a rash of large welts, everywhere from my legs to my butt and back, where I was laying on the detached seat in the water. When I am pedaling hard, I often strip down to running pants to keep cool. I could have been infected anywhere between Sanibel and Naples, but I think it most likely came from peddaling against an extreme outgoing tide coming from the Gordon River in Gordon Pass.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for these updates Keith. We really appreciate them down this way.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the updates Keith ! Good job.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@ CaptnChaos and Slaughter--Thanks. I hope everyone is enjoying these little summaries.

Update – Tuesday, 8:00 PM

Most AI/Tis are at CP2 (Chokoloskee) or on their way to Flamingo CP3. They take the Wildness Waterway (tough for an Island) or head out the passes and proceed down the coast. After that, it will be the 35 mi slog across eastern Florida Bay—a very shallow area. One pair of competitors (not AI/TI) had a shark attack on their rudder after leaving Chokoloskee. The same boat had a tarpon join them in the boat—it was quickly evicted.

Here is my annotated GE view of where all AI/TI boats are today.

Dogslife is doing the WW and made it through Nightmare. Currently, resting up at Shark River Chickee.

TIs--Most TIs still in the race are doing fine. I hope they are careful in the Cape Sable Triangle—it gets its name from the Bermuda Triangle of World War II infame.

SirTackalot (aka Roy Edwards) and WindWatcher (aka Alex Wilson)—SirTackalot stayed on the outside, rounded Cape Sable as he made his way to Flamingo and CP3. He is not on the Mapper tonight. His SPOT must be turned off currently. He will probably make the crossing to the finish in Key Largo, where his partner, who was air-lifted to a hospital in Marathon last night may greet him.
    PedalOn (aka Roy MacPhail) and Sherlock (aka ArDelia MacPhail)—This team has rounded Cape Sable and is nearing Flamingo CP3.
    ChumBucket (aka Bill Wickman) and TriSerpa (aka Steve Morris)— Excellent time doing Wilderness Waterway today. They came down Shark River and crossed over into Whitewater Bay where they are making 2.5 kn.
    Pelican (aka Nick Hall) and falcon (aka Mark Hall)Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) Pelican and son are making good time. Currently they are in open water about 6 mi south of Pavilion. They may be planning to make the Cape Sable area before morning.
    BackwaterBob (aka Bob Nichols) — is on the move 10 mi south of Pavilion, making 4 kn.
    PrivateHam (aka Michael Prince) & Jimbo (aka James Pritchard) — These boys have made very good time today. They have taken a straight shot, open water crossing from Pavilion to Cape Sable. Currently 5 mi offshore in front of Ponce de Leon Bay.
    Triman (aka Mark Ellison) — Stopped at Chokoloskee CP2. He has not moved today.
    Sundance (aka James Connell) and GoldenSun (Victoria Connell)Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) Wow, Sundance is taking his daughter down the WW. They are currently 5-6 mi southeast of Chevalier Bay on Plate Creek
    DivesWithKraken (aka Tom Turner) and WyomingWolf (aka Debbie Turner)—They are through CP2 and riding a falling tide through the passes. They will head down the coast where their options for the night are Pavilion, Mormon, or New Turkey. Who knows, they took a break in Chokoloskee and may try for Scorpion Beach in the Graveyard area.
    Dietired (aka Josh Bowers) and dietired2 (aka Denise Parris)—Stopped in Chokoloskee after checking in.

People who are making good progress but their SPOT is not tracking properly.
    Moose (aka Lee Havins) and Squirrel (Kimberly Havins)—Their SPOT is not tracking properly. Currently, they are in Flamingo, CP3.
    Hollywood (aka Butch Newell) —thru CP2 but not on mapper. Probaby another case of SPOT not tracking correctly.
    Danceswithwaves (aka Royd Whedon) —Royd had not moved for a day, but suddenly he has shown up in Chokoloskee. My claim of his demise (in the 2014 EC) was clearly premature. Go Royd!

Sharknado (aka Kent Morse)--DNS??

There is no shame in not finishing. Not finishing usually simply means you have a much, much better understanding of the demands of the Everglades Challenge. Usually, you have another opportunity to finish. And, the WaterTribers will always welcome you.

AIs—Most AIs are doing great!

PenquinMan (aka Jim Czarnowski) — Jim is in the Hobie IM class. Made a lot of progress in the WW today. He Is currently heading down Broad R toward Nightmare. He may be planning to camp at the Broad R site (near Nightmare.) That is what I would do—then attack Nightmare at first light tomorrow. He did Nightmare last year. Hey, what is better than 1 gator tooth—2 gator teeth, of course.
    Juscuz (John Sims)—Currently resting in Chokoloskee CP2. He may be waiting for the next falling tide, before heading through the passes to get on the Gulf.
    AhMaChamee (aka Bryan Tindell)—AhMaChamee is bivouacked in Chokoloskee CP2. He likes to move at night.
    Dorsalis (aka Charles (Chip) Southerland)—He is in Indian Key Pass heading for the Ranger Station & CP2.
    Chief (aka Steve Isaacs)—He is in the Ultimate Florida race (circumnavigate Florida in about 30 days.) On a rest stop near Cape Romano.

My apologies for any errors or omissions. Please make additions and corrections as you see fit.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love your reports too Keith. I know I could never participate in such an awesome event, but reliving it through here is a nice alternative.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony, I suspect that is what I am doing when I write these reports.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWENpvJuyI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nZN2h3xTw[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nancy and I are heading over to Goodland today to check out the launch site for our Mar 14-16 or 17 camping trip in honor of our late friend, Terry Wilson. We will likely stop in Everglades City/Chokoloskee for some stone crab claws and, perhaps, watch the last competitors come through CP2.

Update – Wednesday, 6:00 AM

Most AI/Tis are on their way to Flamingo CP3. They take the Wildness Waterway (tough for an Island) or head out the passes and proceed down the coast. After that, it will be the 35 mi slog across eastern Florida Bay—a very shallow area. All Class 4 boats which attempted to go straight east from Flamingo yesterday, Tuesday, got hung up in the mud.

This was the tide at Flamingo yesterday, about a 2 ft change.

Further east, the tide change is probably less than 1 ft. The lowest tide is in the middle of the day. For the next few days, competitors will want to leave Flamingo at about 3-4 AM, EST, or late in the afternoon. If the competitors get out of the poorly and unmarked channels, they will be on mud flats, and will learn the true meaning of an Everglades Challenge “filter.” If there is anything good about getting stuck at mid-day in eastern Florida Bay, it is that you can maybe stand on your boat and see where the channel will be when the 6-12 inch tide comes back.

Here is my annotated GE view of where many AI/TI boats will be today.

Here is a blowup of the Broad River/Nightmare area. Nightmare is a 3.5 mile tidal creek. It is heavily overgrown in spots, trees can be down and lying across the creek. At times, schools of tarpon are present, and in that tight area, they are bound to make their presence known.

Dogslife is doing the WW and made it through Nightmare. After spending the night on Shark River Chickee, he is moving at 5:30 AM. He will shortly turn off and enter Whitewater Bay. He is about 20 mi NW of Flamingo. I suspect he will try to get into Flamingo as early as possible, rest, then leave on the rising tide this afternoon to try and get across east Florida Bay.

TIs--Most TIs still in the race are doing fine. I hope they are careful in the Cape Sable Triangle—it gets its name from the Bermuda Triangle of World War II infamy.

SirTackalot (aka Roy Edwards) and WindWatcher (aka Alex Wilson)—SirTackalot stayed on the outside, rounding Cape Sable as he made his way to Flamingo and CP3. He is not on the Mapper today. His SPOT must be turned off currently. He will probably make the crossing to the finish in Key Largo.
    PedalOn (aka Roy MacPhail) and Sherlock (aka ArDelia MacPhail)—This team is in Flamingo. They are not moving.
    ChumBucket (aka Bill Wickman) and TriSherpa (aka Steve Morris)—ChumBucket & TriSherpa must have traveled most of the night and are entering Buttonwood Channel, 2 mi north of Flamingo. If I were them, I would sleep during the mid-day low tide and get on the water about 3 pm for the slog across east Florida Bay
    Triman (aka Mark Ellison) — This guy seems to only move at night. After showing up in Chokoloskee all day yesterday, this morning he turns up 8 mi west of Flamingo, camped at Clubhouse Beach. That would be a 65-70 mi night.
    BackwaterBob (aka Bob Nichols) — A few miles off Ponce de Leon Bay, moving nicely.
    PrivateHam (aka Michael Prince) & Jimbo (aka James Pritchard) —Their SPOT must be off. They are likely in Flamingo.
    Pelican (aka Nick Hall) and falcon (aka Mark Hall)Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) Pelican and son are making good time. Currently they are in open water off Nightmare (south of Highland Beach.) They will reach the Cape Sable area this morning and Flamingo later.
    Sundance (aka James Connell) and GoldenSun (Victoria Connell)Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) Wow, Sundance is taking his daughter down the WW. They are camped on Plate Creek Bay Chickee, NW of Lostmans River.
    DivesWithKraken (aka Tom Turner) and WyomingWolf (aka Debbie Turner)—They camped at Pavilion last night—a place where we camped just a year ago on one of my famous leisure camping trips. You can read about it on this forum page: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=270
    Dietired (aka Josh Bowers) and dietired2 (aka Denise Parris)—Still in Chokoloskee according to their SPOT.
    Moose (aka Lee Havins) and Squirrel (Kimberly Havins)—Their SPOT is not tracking properly. Apparently they are in Flamingo.
    Hollywood (aka Butch Newell) —thru CP2 but not on mapper. Probaby another case of SPOT not tracking correctly.
    Danceswithwaves (aka Royd Whedon) —Royd had not moved for a day, but suddenly he has shown up in Chokoloskee. My claim of his demise (in the 2014 EC) was clearly premature. Go Royd! He is not on the Mapper today.

Sharknado (aka Kent Morse)--DNS??

There is no shame in not finishing. Not finishing usually simply means you have a much, much better understanding o the demands of the Everglades Challenge. Usually, you have another opportunity to finish. And, the WaterTribers will always welcome you.

PenquinMan (aka Jim Czarnowski) — Jim is in the Hobie IM class. Made a lot of progress in the WW today. He Is camped at the Broad R site (near Nightmare.) He will be doing Nightmare before continuing on the WW. Let’s see, 2 gator teeth = 2x$1.98 < $4. It’s worth it. Do Nightmare a second time.
    Juscuz (John Sims)—SPOT must be off. Can’t locate him on the Mapper this morning.
    AhMaChamee (aka Bryan Tindell)—AhMaChamee is cruising just off Pavilion on the outside. He will likely take a straight shot, open water crossing to Cape Sable today.
    Dorsalis (aka Charles (Chip) Southerland)—He is waiting for the Ranger Station to open to get his permit.
    Chief (aka Steve Isaacs)—He is in the Ultimate Florida race (circumnavigate Florida in about 30 days.) According to the Mapper he is still near Cape Romano.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith, Thank you for posting these updates. -Ted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are welcome, Ted.

Update – Wednesday, 9:00 PM

Boats are starting to pile up in Flamingo, CP3. Sharknado, who I have never found on the Mapper is there, along with BackwaterBob, Hollywood, Pelican/Son, Moose/Squirrel, Triman, and SirTackalot. They are all planning to cross Florida Bay early tomorrow morning on the rising tide. SirTackAlot postponed crossing FL Bay until tomorrow—remember his TI partner is in the hospital in Marathon. Triman, after a night of high winds, no winds, mud, hallucinations, got in and, after something to eat, a bit of rest, he will leave on the rising tide for the finish line. Dogslife was in, left to cross FL Bay on rising tide. He is within sight of the finish at Bay Cove Motel in Key Largo. Dogs has finished!

A couple TI teams have finished: 1st PedalOn (aka Roy MacPhail) and Sherlock (aka ArDelia MacPhail), 2nd ChumBucket (aka Bill Wickman) and TriSherpa (aka Steve Morris)--ChumBucket & TriSherpa did the much longer Wilderness Waterway/Nightmare route. They are clearly the fastest Island in this EC2014. Dogslife also did the much longer route and could claim to be the 2nd fastest Island--rather an amazing feat for a solo pilot vs. teams.

Here is my annotated GE view of where a few AI/TI boats will be today.

Dogslife did as I predicted—he arrived in Flamingo, rested a bit and left on the rising tide this afternoon to try and get across east Florida Bay. Dogs has finished—3rd Island in, about 9:15 PM, Wednesday. He was the fastest solo-piloted Island, Tandems or AI. Good for him.

TIs--Most TIs still in the race are doing fine. I hope they are careful in the Cape Sable Triangle—it gets its name from the Bermuda Triangle of World War II infamy. Actually, the weather has been mild this year and all Islands have or are succeeding spectacularly.

SirTackalot (aka Roy Edwards) and WindWatcher (aka Alex Wilson)—SirTackalot is leaving tomorrow for the slog across FL Bay.
    PedalOn (aka Roy MacPhail) and Sherlock (aka ArDelia MacPhail)—Finished, first Island to the finish line.
    ChumBucket (aka Bill Wickman) and TriSherpa (aka Steve Morris)—Finished, 2nd Island to finish.
    Triman (aka Mark Ellison) — In Flamingo CP3
    BackwaterBob (aka Bob Nichols) — In Flamingo CP3
    PrivateHam (aka Michael Prince) & Jimbo (aka James Pritchard) —They have made it across most of the shallow flats east of Flamingo and will likely get to the finish late tonight. 9:38 PM Mapper update shows they a in deeper water and headed to the finish. They will be the 4th Island to finish.
    Pelican (aka Nick Hall) and falcon (aka Mark Hall)Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) Into Flamingo, CP3.
    Sundance (aka James Connell) and GoldenSun (Victoria Connell)Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) Moving down Harney River. They may have missed turned to Shark River in the dark. We will know shortly. A new check of the Mapper shows Sundance/GoldenSun have backtracked to the Shark River—good for them.
    Moose (aka Lee Havins) and Squirrel (Kimberly Havins)— In Flamingo CP3
    Hollywood (aka Butch Newell) —In Flamingo CP3
    Danceswithwaves (aka Royd Whedon) —Royd had not moved for a day, but suddenly he has shown up in Chokoloskee. My claim of his demise (in the 2014 EC) was clearly premature. Go Royd! He is not on the Mapper today.
    Sharknado (aka Kent Morse)—Another competitor that I have been unable to find on the Mapper. Apparently, he is in Flamingo, CP3.
    DivesWithKraken (aka Tom Turner) and WyomingWolf (aka Debbie Turner)—Open water off Shark River, making 2.5 kn.
    Dietired (aka Josh Bowers) and dietired2 (aka Denise Parris)—Camping at north end of Highland Beach.

Dogslife (aka Paul Kral)—Dogs will be at the finish as about 9:30 pm this evening. 3rd Island in to finish. Beautiful!
    PenquinMan (aka Jim Czarnowski) — Jim is in the Hobie IM class. Jim is within sight of Flamingo in Buttonwood Canal.
    Juscuz (John Sims)—Off Ponce de Leon Bay on open water.
    AhMaChamee (aka Bryan Tindell)—AhMaChamee is stopped a Plover Keys, 8 mi SE of Pavilion,
    Dorsalis (aka Charles (Chip) Southerland)—Near Chokoloskee, moving slowly. Not a good sign.
    Chief (aka Steve Isaacs)—He is in the Ultimate Florida race (circumnavigate Florida in about 30 days.) He got into Chokoloskee at about 2 PM, today. Nancy & I happened to be there when he arrived. He is doing good, and may said he was “doing sweep” for the competitors.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SirTackalot has posted the following description on the WT Forum of the helicopter rescue of his partner and friend off Highland Beach:
Quote:
First off, thanks for all the support. After we had left #2, Windwatcher started getting sick and then dry heaves. We discussed turning back (against our following winds), heading to a beach or pushing on. He tryed getting water in him, and resting. Nothing was working. Then the chills set in and early stages of hyperthermia. At that point he was back in his dry suit, with a emergency space blanket wrapped around him inside the small front seat dodger. He started using the emergency heat pads. I put out a call to any ships/boats with no response. I then put out a pan/pan/pan call to the Coast guard. They responded from Key West right away. They asked questions for about 15-20 minutes trying to acess what was happening. Then the VHF went dead . At this point we were hours from anywhere, with no way of touching base with anyone. Alex was getting worse by the minute. I set off the SPOT. 20 minutes later the chopper was there and they air lifted him off. Very professional. I tryed to keep going but was exhausted. So slept for about 4 hours and pushed on. Alex/Windwatcher had a break down of muscle tissue that could had lead to kindey faliure and even death. Thank god for our safety gear. Special thanks to all the support and espcially to the crew at #3 for taking care of my wife and daughter ( Alexs wife).

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next