Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey! Just giving heads up to folks on an interesting adventure race currently in progress.
Roger Mann, of Water Tribe infamy (AKA JollyRoger), is holding is own against some serious boats in his new AI 2.

Interesting photo of Roger Mann in his new AI 2 under way in the race:
http://www.yacht.de/sport/news/drei-woc ... mageSeries

The race is described on the races's about page at:
http://r2ak.com/about/

The tracker for the race is at:
http://tracker.r2ak.com/

Roger's "team" (Just him and his AI 2) is called "Team Discovery".

Check this out... it is pretty interesting!

Also Roger is being followed at the WaterTribe forum at:
http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/joll ... e-2-alaska

Also some mentions in other forums such as:
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... 2ak&page=7

Don

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. I've been lazy and not following that race, but your lead motivated me to look at it. The race runs from Port Townsend, WA, through the inside passage to Ketchikan, AK. I'm surprised at the number of boats (750 miles, very cold water--45-50 deg F, big tides, extreme currents, bears galore, and top it off with weather. Yikes!) There were 39 at the start; 14 have dropped out. Roger in his AI 2 leads all solo captains.

The picture of JollyRoger (Roger Mann, Team Discovery) tells it all. A great picture. The tracker is excellent. Roger has posted Dan Blanchard's video on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/RogerMannorg)

Given my experience with the AI 2 (broken aka brace shear pin and capsize on my first camping trip), I would be inclined to either have a stainless steel pin, which Roger may have; or, I would have a stock plastic shear pin (plus extras) and absolutely non-fail, safety lines to avoid capsize. Roger's aluminum hakas, tightly fastened to the akas, may be serving that purpose. It is risky business in those waters, and the AI 2 is probably the wettest ride of all the boats. I see Roger has a dry suit on, warm cap, and ski goggles. It shows his prep, intelligence, and experience in WaterTribe races.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This race has me in awe. I cannot imagine the conditions that they have faced since this race began. The headwinds, tides, weather and dangers involved in this race is crazy. Roger just keeps on going despite the obstacles. He's getting close to the finish. Here's a recent report he posted:

Roger's message to race management: “Pitchpoled my beach landing at Cape Caution and spent the night collecting gear and drying out. Monday met up with Blackfish and good thing because I was still hypothermic. Rafted up with them and got dry, warm, and my second hot meal.”

BTW, thanks for posting this thread Don. It's been interesting following this race.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Same here, Jim. JollyRoger is nearing the finish. He apparently pitchpoled his AI 2 last Sunday or Monday along very rugged shore exposed to the weather from the Pacific. I believe it occurred near Lat 51.165254°, Lon -127.785999°.

Just got to tip your hat to these folks.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JollyRoger (Roger Mann) has finished the Race To Alaska in Ketchikan, 750 miles--he finished about 1 hr ago.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Impressive achievement! I can't be the only one who wonders how he rigged his AI2 to survive all those miles. Do any of you Island sailors recognize the beams he is using for hakas? They look like aluminum planks to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like ductwork or extruded bench material. Keith?

ATV ramps and scaffolds are about that size, if anyone likes them.

This was an epic trek.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Looks like ductwork or extruded bench material. Keith?

This was an epic trek.

Yeah, it looks like bench material. Definitely an epic trip for an AI 2. Roger has set the bar very high. I hear he has 7 grand children to go along with this achievement.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great interview with Roger, including an aka failure when pitchpoled in the surf.

http://r2ak.com/daily-updates-2/june-21/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! Just wow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reading the partial transcript of Roger's interview graphically demonstrated to me how really, really dangerous and scary the Race to Alaska really was. It was much worse than I imagined. He did not quit, he did not have to be rescued, he did not turn back, he pushed on after losing much of his equipment and all his electronic gear, he did pitchpole his boat, he was washed off his boat by huge waves (he had a surfboard tether), and he did it solo in a little AI 2. Quite amazing. I wonder if it will ever be repeated?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Simply epic!

Although Ridgerunner has already posted the link to the R2AK article (which should really be read in its entirety), I felt I should paste the portion of Roger's finish line dockside interview for posterity here in this thread:

SNIP
more compelling than any steaming pile of metaphors that we could offer. This is from the horse’s mouth, recorded minutes after he arrived. It wanders a bit, but give the guy a break, he just stepped off his boat. Prepare to be amazed:
R2AK: Was it hard being out there, all by yourself?
Roger: I had all kinds of hallucinations, I had friends all around me. I was seeing a lot of folks…I wasn’t too lonely.

R2AK: How many hours a day did you spend on the water?
Roger: About 20 hours a day. Every day of the race I was cold to the bone. So cold my eyeballs would hurt.

R2AK: How did the mirage drive work for you?
Roger: It worked killer, its a three, three and a half miles an hour. Anything with more current and you’re not going anywhere. You can do about 4 miles per hour by “motor-sailing.”

On going through Seymour Narrows at night:
“It was a good thing and a bad thing. It was a good thing I couldn’t see some of the stuff, and a bad thing I couldn’t see some of the stuff. It was terrible. I was looking up at waves that were three quarters the way up my mast, and it was 20 knots or so on the nose and standing everything straight up, so I was going up and over… and that was the first time I’ve ever been washed off my boat.”
R2AK: You got washed off your boat?
Roger: I had my leash on so I got back on, but I got completely knocked off the boat because I went over one and right up the next (waves) and they were so close together and I got washed right off the boat.
(At this point there is nervous laughter from multiple people, who all pause in disbelief.)
R2AK: And you were able to get back on?
Roger: Yeah, I had a uh, surfboard leash, so all I did was crawl back on. But when I washed off I broke my tiller bar, so it was just back there all mangled up. I lost both my tiller bars. I lost a lot of stuff.

R2AK: After you stitched up your own thumb in Victoria, did you have to do it again? (Roger’s only injury of the trip was a thumb he slashed with a box cutter cutting open the Hobie Island. He stitched it up himself. Twice.)
Roger: No, I restitched it that once and that was enough. I don’t know what happened to my hands. I stopped in Port McNeil because my hands were so swollen.
Johnstone Strait killed my GPS and my chart plotter. You can imagine that chop and that boat, you’re not going to have anything dry. My SPOTs are in dry bags but they still are wet, I tried to pick up a GPS in McNeill but they didn’t have anything.
This lady that parked me (in Port McNeil), Linda, it was about a quarter to five and she got off at 5 and she hung around until about 5:30 and actually drove me to a couple of places to try to find a GPS. She was the nicest lady. At about a 5:30 she said “well I’ve already been off so I’m going to have to go,” but she came back later and gave me an apple pie and a great big thing of yogurt covered raisins, and the first thing I did was sit right down and eat the whole pie. The whole thing.

On pitchpoling on Cape Caution:
“You know Blunden Bay? It’s right on the cape. I had read the book ‘Row, Paddle, Sail’ to Alaska by an older couple, they talked about stopping there, that it was real nice. The Cape was kicking my ass, and it was just getting dark. Big swells, and I was like, ‘They said it was clear, I’m heading in and I missed the dismount.’ I’ve done a pitchpole before, but when I pitchpoled I kinda went to the side on the right. These akas come out. They have plastic bolts that will break away. So, as soon as this ama hit the ground it folded backwards and the, uh, mast hit the ground and I went out of it and then grabbed the mast so it didn’t go all the way over, a pitchpole straight over like a somersault? It was more like a 45 degree, boom and then right back up. The whole problem was that all these waves that pitchpoled me were now beating me up on shore, pushing the boat towards the shore, and I didn’t know that there was anything going on at all until I actually got on shore, and I was pinned to the ground being covered by waves… because there was like 40 pounds of water in both legs (of his drysuit) …I, I couldn’t move. I was pulling myself and my boat up the beach. I was absolutely pinned to the ground. When I finally drug up my drysuit was about two feet extra, because all of the water was in the bottom, and I finally just had to cut the legs off. I took off my vest and cut it because that was the only way I could get out of the water.
By this time all of my gear was all over the whole beach. So I started a fire, got my hypothermia bag, let everything wash up, got my dry clothes, got myself ok, and then I started walking around with my flood light, picking stuff up and trying to dry it out. Needless to say my GPS was done, everything I had that was electronic was shot. It was gone.
I made a choice to go in there, it was probably a bad choice, but I wasn’t making any headway into the current… I could have been pitchpoled offshore with my zipper (of his drysuit) still open, and gone straight to the bottom. So… one of the harrier experiences of the trip.”

When a shortcut turned into a rock climbing expedition:
“Yesterday, I started going straight up from Bella Bella and it was all kind of snakey and I was really rushing to get through there. I knew I was pushing it, and I was about to get out and I remembered that there was all kinds of current that run through these rapids into a little pond, and all of a sudden I hit current and I was like, oh. I pedaled like crazy to get to another turn, it was probably only about 70, 80 foot wide, 30-40 yards wide, and it was ripping through there. So I tried my best to pedal over to the side, jumped off the boat and started to get swept away. And I said “I’m not going to get stuck here for 6-8 hours.” So I started walking the boat up rocks along the side. It worked really good until I got to the end and there was nothing to walk on. I could just slide all the way down, and I was wearing my drysuit at the time, and I held on to a little finger hold in the rocks, holding the boat, and you can imagine my legs getting swept back (from the force of the current) like you were in a tidal current. I was pulling myself forward to the next finger hold, like for around 50 feet until I made it around the little squeezed point, and I could sail into it. But I didn’t get stuck. I just didn’t want to be stuck there for 8 hours.”

On going to shore in Bella Bella:
“First thing I did was went to the store and got two ice cream cookie sandwiches, and a quart of milk, and I devoured that like you would not believe. The first thing I did when I got to Campbell River I took a shower, then walked into McDonalds and ate four Big Macs, I wished I would have gotten five.”
“I got stranded high and dry twice, stranded by about 100 yards. I had to bring logs under the bow and get it high enough to get a portage cart under it and then roll the boat back to the water. That was in Johnstone Strait right before the pitchpole disaster.”

On sleeping:
“When I did the pitchpole thing I lost my anchor, so I didn’t have one after that. I lost a lot of stuff. I learned to tie up to kelp. That’s what I did last night (6/18). All I had was a map and it was very calm, very… it was more cloudy than it was fog, but you couldn’t see crap. You couldn’t see 50 feet in front of you.

I made a lot of mistakes. I made a ton of mistakes. ”
SNIP

Don

2005 Outback Red
2015 Tandem Island Red

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow. Thanks Don. Quite a painful story - but enlightening.

I'm looking forward to more grizzly details at Rogers blog.

Apparently the voyage wasn't ALL bad. There was Pie. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie should surely latch on to this epic tale as the most emphatic endorsement of the Hobie Island design and manufacture. He opened up the carton TWO DAYS before the event (cutting his hand in the process), and then went and completed 750 MILE race to Alaska (no pussy balmy Pacific luxury here!).

What an incredible endorsement of the product. At the very least, Hobie should buy the AI2 off him (at a very generous price), and display it at future boat shows.

My $0.02

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tony, I was thinkin' almost exactly the same, Hobie should buy that boat back and put it in the Hobie museum... this will never be repeated. No better advertisement!

NOHUHU, I'm sure the pie was pure ecstasy and maybe all he needed to keep going despite the adversity.

Keith, I'm right there with ya', I know the things that we've done out there can be and have been quite dangerous but this shows just what dangerous really can be... and he did not quit (the pie probably helped!).

PAL, I too am hoping to hear more details on how Roger prepared for this challenge and how he rigged his AI... I've seen several iterations of his EC setups, each incrementally better than the last. This challenge took way more than all of them put together!

Jim, I've also been glued to any device that keeps me informed of the R2AK status since it started... this challenge is way over the top... the more I looked into the probable conditions at just about any instance of the race the more I was in awe of all of the competitors... even those that (probably very wisely) dropped out. It looks like there has been about 25 drop out so far, out of about 40 starting! (There are just 5 more boats still on the course at this time).

After seeing and hobnobbing with the other mostly larger, mostly multi-crewed, mostly multi-hulled teams, Roger remarked just as he embarked on this epic journey that he "felt like he had brought a knife to a gun a fight"...
Well, most of those big guns didn't make it but a little plastic Tri did!

Don

2005 Outback Red
2015 Tandem Island Red