Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Come on ... let's race !
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up the latest issue of Southwinds (a free rag for sailors in the Southeast that can be picked up for free at WestMarine). the Sarasota Sailing Squadron is hosting the Suncoast Multihull Rendezvous next weekend, Oct. 19,20,21 on Sarasota Bay & the Gulf. All classes are invited. There will be West Florida PHRF & Portsmouth rating AND any One-design class with 5+ boats (does that mean 5 boats or 6?) THAT MEANS US ! I'll count myself as 1 .... we need 4-5 more AI sailors who want to come to Sarasota(FL) next weekend & race. If we are all in the same class can we use the Mirage drive? I know time is short, if we can get commitments by Monday 10/15 I'll try to see if the SSS will let us race as a Class. I'm not sure of what fees are involved, but if ya need a place to stay for the weekend, I've got a big back yard & a couple of air mattress to throw down. So ...... who wants to come to Sarasota and race? www.sarasotasailingsquad.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I possibly could come on Saturday if you can get enough people for a class. If not, I'll pass because of the registration fees and dinner and all - not sure I want to do all of that stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got an email today and I have to work that Saturday so I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Capt Numb Nauts isn't quite in racing form yet. I'd probably turn the whole thing in to a demolition derby...and they'd never let me come back--but was glad to see your post anyway.

I got my Gold Goose from Economy Tackle/Dolphin Dive & Kayak back on 7/10. I live in down in Venice (20 mi south of you) and mostly launch into Roberts Bay 200 yds from Gulf (from a sandy beach at the Nokomis north jetty across from Snake Island). Haven't paddled much since.

I'm really enjoying these heaftier fall winds--and I've sailed enough now to want more--but I'm not ready to make an ass out of myself, or reflect badly on other AI enthusiasts, and this new niche in sailing.

I'm the only AI guy down here and would like to hookup and sail with others and discuss common issues (rudder T&S, winglet, hold-downs; spray screens, fishing/camping tramps, barber haulers, wet-suits & winter gear, and Florida events (Sarasota races/Everglades National Park Challenge, etc).

As far as mods--I'm not handy--and wouldn't want to do anything to void the Hobie Warranty. I'd like to see Hobie take the lead.

But CUSTOM PLASTIC FABRICATORs might be interested in making after-market items like -
1. Rudder Blades with winglets
2. Bow Spray Screens
3. Aka to Ama Expedition Tramp specialized for fishing/camping
4. 2 SEAT/LOUNGER/SLEEPING PAD Framework straddling Cockpit & Cargo area having overhead canopy, raised aft mainsheet pulley/barber hauler, the ability to attach a tarp-tent from forward akas over tramp area back to stern. This new exterior pathway should incorporate the current crossbars, house and provide access to rudder lines (accomodate addition of foot controls), a rear motor mount, and a sturdier, better place to operate the rudder. A rudder attached to this sturdy exterior pathway, with rudder lines running through it would eliminate a lot holes/leaks--and the drain plug isn't needed--sponging out water from the aft hatch is easier.

Well, I'm retired, hate golf, love the water, and have nothing to do but think about how I can make this whole experience better, easier, and more fun. My phone # is 941-412-3839 and my email is [email protected]. Hope we get a chance to meet sometime.

Talk later.

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.