Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi folks,
This is my first post. I am now the the proud owner of a June 2013 dune TI.

Before I bought it, I needed to work out a way to get this "super tanker" on top of my 4WD. I can't use a trailer because I will generally be towing a camper trailer.

So I built a hoisting solution with a small 12v winch and a folding A Frame.

There were a number of key requirements:
1. It could not increase the height of my vehicle. Otherwise I could not park in my garage at home nor in the underground car park at work.
2. I did not want to have to do any lifting - even one end is difficult to getting up onto a 2m high roof.
3. Ideally I wanted to load it with the Akas and Amas still attached.
4. I needed a prop at the front so that the rear did not overhang too far and interfere with the camper.
5. I decided to make the front prop able to swivel so if I was only using the hull and feeling very energetic I could prop the bow, strap it down and then pick up the rear and walk it over to the roof bars. (Yet to field test this.)
6. I did not want to use a T-loader that attached to my 50mm hitch receiver, because this would have to be removed to tow the camper and hence I would need to find a place to stow it. They are quite large and an odd shape to inside the car is awkward and outside would be yet another item to strap down and ensure was secure.

Below is a video of my first day when I bought the TI home and unloaded it by myself.
http://youtu.be/ndziZ_WPpw4

There is still refinement work required - such as the straps and also the bars that slide out etc. In the video you'll see I had to pull the bars out because the system was designed and tested on a 120 series Toyota Prado Landcruiser. I now have a 150 model and have to my surprise discovered that the 150 roof rails are not parallel! So the cross tubes had to be "coaxed" to bolt on causing a slight bow and hence the bars that previously slid easily into them are now quite tight.

My other project that I have just started is a platform onto which I lower the TI. This platform will have small wheels to allow me to roll it with the kayak into the garage. The platform will then be winched up to the garage ceiling for storage. The platform will be 3.6m x 1.5m providing substantial support for most of the length of the TI. I'll post some photos in due course.

Regards, Ian

Looking forward to the first "voyage" - just as soon as the weather warms up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clever stuff! Sorry about your weather (which is why I moved 1200kms north) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ian - a great show of engineering workmanship and Aussie determination to solve a problem - looks like you met all your goals. I recall seeing your prototype videos earlier this year and thinking "this guy is on the right track". I ended up putting mine on a trailer which is a more expensive solution. great job - thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Back in April, I purchased an Oasis because I wanted a Mirage Drive tandem and I was needing to transport it on the top of my truck. Like you, I also have a Travel Trailer, so a trailer to transport my boat was completely out of the equation.

I didn't even look at the Tandem Island because I figured I was pushing the hull weight with an Oasis. You did a great job of adapting and overcoming that issue. I take my hat off to you.

Enjoy,
Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys.
Still some work to do to make it quicker and simpler to use.
I have added a close up pic for those interested.

But that will have to wait until I get my hoisting platform for the garage storage completed. My wife is away at the moment so her car's living outside and the hobie has taken its place in the garage. 8) I'm planning on something like that shown in the video below with a platform that the TI will sit on and then the whole lot will be winched to the ceiling. Will post photos etc when it works.

I have seen a number of people have used PVC pipe as runners on which the Island sits on trailers etc. Any suggestions on the best size of the pipe?

Tony, I know what you mean about the weather. I have been going to Port Stephens every Jan for the last 12 years. We'll be up there again - this time for 2 weeks - from the 28th of Dec.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faVubwlisoE&feature=share&list=PL5B830EBAB3DAB176[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ian,
Very nice solution. I have one suggestion that might reduce the force required to lift off the top. Instead of using eyelets, use heavy duty pulleys. I did a similar solution for my Hobie Outback.
Thanks for the post.
Tom

2012 Dune TI
2008 Outback
Perception
Blue Hole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Impressive Ian. One of the car toppers I've seen. You haven't videoed that as well have you ?

And the trailer hoist. Your daughter did an excellent job, and with a clever bit of editing, it looks like you did it all. :wink:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice solution!

I use a 100% manual method for my A.I. - two sets of soft-racks doubled-up two
sets of tie-down straps. Takes a little time to load and unload, but it works!

Here's a recent photo of the buzz-bomb loaded up with the entire A.I. constriction-kit...

The AMAS (outrigger floats) are visible inside the car - they just fit!

The rest of the bits and pieces are carried around in a big hold-all bag.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mingle, I remember years ago that you asked if the Amas would fit and I said 'no way', they just fit in my Tribute.

:roll: Who would have thought that I could be wrong :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all.

Hobiebuddy,
I do have a pulley at the top of the A-Frame.
I'd be really interested in seeing a video of your solution for your outback.

Mingle,
Just as well you have an AI, transporting a friend in the car would be a tight squeeze.

Slaughter.
You are sort of right... The video was filmed by my daughter and it was edited, but I did actually load and unload single handed.

There were 3 reasons for the edit.
The first was because I had used the green straps to tie the TI down for transport, the lengths were a bit short, causing the A frame to not extend out as far over the side and so the kayak was too close to the mirrors. I had to fold these in and also move to the front to push it out slightly from the car. (It wasn't an issue loading it because I had tested the hoist and adjusted the straps during a previous test with a boat from Rod Bendings at Inverloch.)

The second reason was, while I was doing the above, my daughter turned the camera around and started mucking about while filming herself. :)

The third was it took me a bit of time to get the hang of inserting the Cart in the scupper holes while lowering the boat.

The first and third are minor issues that will go away with practice.
The second... well I wouldn't have her any other way.

Regards,
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good answers Ian.

When you are up Nelson Bay way over the Christmas break, let us know. It's only about an hour North of me, and tonystott is only an hour North of there, and Stringy and ChrisJ are only 2 hours South. We could all catch up for a Chrismas sail and drink.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm in!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter, great idea. I'm definitely in and I think my wife would be as well. This has the makings of a sort of Hobie big day out - maybe the first for 2014.

By the way, no one has yet responded to my question re the size of the PVC pipe that some people use on their trailers. Anyone have ideas? This is for my platform that I will store the boat on - right side up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a great plan Ian. Seeing as you are coming the furthest ( so far ), you can pick the date, or dates.

Sorry, I missed your earlier question about the PVC pipe. I don't know what others do but I use pool noodles on my trailer. I run them longitudinally, 2 at 1500mm long but with yours being a TI, they will need to be longer. I'd need to take a photo to explain further if necessary but how I did it was to........

1. support the TI at the bow and stern, up off the trailer by about 100mm, in the position you want.
2. push in the pool noodle in from the sides making sure that it is just touching the bottom side of the hull for the full length. If the noodles are too close together, lower the hull until the outer edge of the noodle is vertically in line with the outer edge of the hull.
3. mark the position of the noodle.
4. Take the TI off the trailer.
5. cable tie the noodle to the trailer.

I ran 2 electrical cable trays longitudinally up each side of the trailer at approx. 400mm centres for the noodles to sit on. These trays were bolted to the trailer using 'U' bolts. These trays give multiple holes for the cable ties. I used about 6 heavy duty cable ties on each.

You will find that the pool noodles will not be parallel. At the ends they will be at about 400mm centres. And go out to about 500mm centres in the middle. ( just guessing these dimensions )

But, the 'ducks guts' is that it works great. The noodles should deform to evenly elliptical over time and the hull slides perfectly off the rear and is well supported without fear of hull distortion.

Hope this helps mate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Slaughter,
I have a couple of noodles lying around I'll give them a try.

As for the date - what about we pencil in the weekend of Sat the 4th or Sun the 5th of Jan 2014?

We'll be at Fennighams Island.
Can you or Tony suggest a good place to meet and launch the boats?

Regards, Ian