Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the Hobie Trailer Cradles which I would like to mount on a small
trailer. Does someone know the distances which are recommended for
installing the cradles. For example, the distance from the trailer coupling
to the front cradle and the distance between the front and rear cradles?

My AI has been ordered but my dealer did not have any trailers for me
to measure the cradle distances.

I would like to have the trailer ready so that I can use it to pick up the
AI when it arrives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:18 am 
Site Admin

We show it as 67" in the summer update catalog.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: trailer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i also had a trailer built from an old jet ski trailer, Matt is correct with the 67" spacing between front and rear cradles, the AI fits nicely onto the cradles at this spacing.

As for the distance from coupling to front cradle, mine measures 76" from front of coupling to centre of cradle (or to crossbar) but i puposely kept that distance tight but still enough for the trailer to turn tightly without the front hull touching my car. My goal was to have the unit fit neatly into my garage and still be able to walk around it.

I also had to have the front drawbar extended (about 18") but that would depend on your trailer. If you dont extend the front drawbar, you may have the weight distibuted too far to the rear. Another thing to watch for is the front cradle crossbar may need to be lifted higher to make sure the hull wont rub on the trailer frame, see my topic at:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9866

Another issue (that i have to correct on my trailer) is sometimes you may want to use the cart from trailer to water if no boat ramp with beach adjacent, just watch that the trailer frame doesnt prevent the cart from slipping into the scupper holes when removing from trailer. Basically for this to work OK the rear of the trailer frame should be no more than 12'' from the rear cradle.

Enjoy!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Other members have given me the forward-rear dimensions for placing
the Hobie trailer cradles (76" from coupling for front cradle...plus 67" farther back for the rear cradle)...

Does anyone know the 'width' of the cradles...that is, how wide will cross-bars be needed to install the cradles. I will have to install crossbars where there are none now.

(My dealer won't be getting cradles in stock for a while...so I am not able to measure them myself and I want to get my trailer ready for the AI before it arrives)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can use the same crossbeam as is used on the Hobie Wave, which is 79 inches. Do not try to go any more narrow, but it could use another inch or two of width. At 79 inches, the outer mounting bolts go through less than an inch from the edge.

Post subject: trailer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi TIDALWAVE, the info Tom Ray has given you probably suits a Hobie trailer which also can be used for cats, but if you have a small boat trailer like i have and wish to add the crossbars for bolting of cradles when they arrive, check out my trailer pikkies:

My rear crossbar is about 38" long, while the front is only 18", any wider on the front would create a trip hazard when walking around.

In the next pikkie note the timber wedge i had to put under front crossbar to raise the height of cradle to ensure hull didnt scrape on trailer frame:

If you are making own trailer with own crossbars make the front crossbar 1 inch higher to compensate for rear cradle height. You might also note i still have use of dolly wheel, quite handy for moving around, my machanic mate cut down the shaft so that it could still fit and be used.