Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: AI Trailers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim_L My wife saw your pictures with the Mini Cooper and ask "you can tow these with a mini?", it is one of her favorite cars. :D

Trailex used the SUT 450 as the base of the Hobie AI double trailer so the trailer is rated at 620 lbs total weight. Plenty of capacity to stack my two new Sports on top of the AIs. They do not list it on their web site as it only available through you local Hobie dealer, but I think they used the small catamaran trailer as a base. The ID tag list it as a SUT 450 AID.

Did you see any difference changed to the 12" wheels? I thought of making the change to mine but was wondering if there was that much of a difference over the 8".

Well it a nice day here in the northeast and I have yard work to get done so there is more time for sailing. :mrgreen:

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Randy,

Glad to hear that your wife has such good taste. AI & MINI Cooper... she sounds like a keeper :) Seriously though, the Cooper tows it just fine. Although I do have to remember it's back there when I get to the twisty roads. The MINI is like a go-kart with a license plate, so it probably corners better than the trailer does. The trunk on the MINI convertible is virtually nonexistent. That's the main reason I ended up adding the second tool box to my trailer. That, and to balance the weight distribution so that it'd track straight.

As for the 12 in wheels, I upgraded to those because the first summer I had the trailer I put over 4000 miles on the rig, almost all of it highway. A few times each summer I end up towing the AI up to go sailing on Lake Erie. That's a 400 mile trip (one way) at 70 MPH highway speeds. Since the 12 in wheel is turning about 2/3 as fast as the 8 in wheel would be, I figure the bearings will appreciate it. Not that I ever noticed the bearings to get hot with the 8 in wheels. I have an infrared thermometer that I use to check bearing temps when on the road. I don't recall the exact numbers, but with the 12 in wheels the temp was only slightly above ambient temperatures, while with the 8 in wheels the temp was significantly warmer. Not what I'd call excessively hot, but definitely warmer. The 12 in wheels do raise the trailer a couple inches, so that also raises the center of gravity. This will have some effect on the handling, but so far has not been an issue. Since your rig sits so much lower than mine, that'd be even less of a concern. If you add uprights to mount a storage box though, you'll want to keep that in mind. Al in all it's been a great rig.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just joined the forum after reading for a short while. I live on the coast of Central Queensland, I have 2 AIs, 2 Outfitters and a Hobie 16. Found forum very useful and used some of the stuff I've read when building my trailer. I used the Hobie cradle but only to hold the Kayak as I didn't want the trailer to end up too wide. Thanks for all the tips and interesting stories.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tony B wrote:
Just joined the forum after reading for a short while. I live on the coast of Central Queensland, I have 2 AIs, 2 Outfitters and a Hobie 16. Found forum very useful and used some of the stuff I've read when building my trailer. I used the Hobie cradle but only to hold the Kayak as I didn't want the trailer to end up too wide. Thanks for all the tips and interesting stories.

Hi Tony,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have quite the fleet there. I've only got one AI myself (but regularly transport my friend's boat), and also have a Hobie 16. Although the H-16 doesn't get so much use since I bought the AI two years ago. I agree about how wide the AIs get when transported while assembled. I only really transport them that way when I'm traveling locally. When I'm going any distance I pull the amas & akas off. I always have to figure out how to store the amas when I do that though. I like the ama rack that you have on yours. That's brilliant! It looks like it fits into the mast hole, and I suspect there's some uprights that extend up into the holes in the amas. If you get a chance, please post some pictures of the ama rack. I'm going to be building a set soon!

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jim for the comments, I'll get a picture but the supports ended up petty simple after a fair bit of thinking about different methods. I ended up using three 50mm PVC T pieces and 50mm PVC pipe. The 50mm pipe does go down the mast hole and the pipe is used to join the T pieces together. I used a bench grinder to remove enough material from the upright parts till it's a snug fit into the ama. I then have a small bit of outdoor carpet for the ama to rest on rather than the plastic sitting on the PVC. I use the elastic strap from the ama to hold the ama onto the PVC tubing and another elastic strap to hold the PVC to the trailer. The T pieces going up into the ama takes care of sliding in any direction. So far I've been happy with the way it hold's it all together while travelling and it's easy to fit or remove the amas.
My poor Hobie 16 hasn't moved since buying the AIs, I love the quick setup and sitting so close to the water, could do without the big waves coming straight over the front. I'm trying to sell the Hobie 16 due to lack of use but it's not easy to sell as the boat's in great condition but I don't think they're going for much second hand.
Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some nicely configured trailers.

Are there any trailers that can be backed into the water on a Boat Ramp like a conventional Winch/Slide trailer so the AI does not have to be lifted on?

I guess there will be more of us with these when the Tandem AI is released, I dont think I could manage that alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Tony,
Nice work on that trailer. I like the innovative mast ama support. 8)
It seems a shame that after getting the Hobie cradles you aren't using them as they were designed to slide the AI fully assembled on/off. I understand the width problem. My first trailer mod had the AI's unassembled side by side but I soon got tired of assembly/disassembly each time. Have you considered stacking them vertically? Your trailer looks like it could be easily modified to do so.

Skymax,
I initially tried launching straight off the trailer but found it easier to attach the cart while on the trailer and launch from that. With a trailer launch you have the problem of what to do with the AI while parking/retrieving the trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tony,

Thanks for the info on the ama racks. I'll definitely be building a set myself. I look forward to seeing the pictures. Now that you've got me thinking, I may work on figuring out a similar rack for the stern of the amas.

Even though I haven't used my H-16 since I bought the AI two years ago, I'm going keep it anyway. I bought it used so I don't have all that much into it, and I wouldn't get much out of it. Plus, I leave it rigged on a trailer at a club so my brothers and nephew can sail it. Maybe one of these days I'll take time to go sail it myself. I keep thinking that, but the AI is so much fun that I never get around to doing it.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Welcome Tony,
Nice work on that trailer. I like the innovative mast ama support. 8)
It seems a shame that after getting the Hobie cradles you aren't using them as they were designed to slide the AI fully assembled on/off. I understand the width problem. My first trailer mod had the AI's unassembled side by side but I soon got tired of assembly/disassembly each time. Have you considered stacking them vertically? Your trailer looks like it could be easily modified to do so.

Skymax,
I initially tried launching straight off the trailer but found it easier to attach the cart while on the trailer and launch from that. With a trailer launch you have the problem of what to do with the AI while parking/retrieving the trailer.

:idea: Roger that!
I guess If I get a Tandem AI my passenger could hold it next to the small floating jetty provided in the boat bay whilst I dealt with parking everything.
I suppose some kind of dedicated AI trailer will manifest eventually.
Now, how can I persuade someone to come get a wet bum with me?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I built a car-top carrier for my AI. It worked great but it was a real hassle. I mounted the rear of the carrier on a modified bicycle caddy and strapped the front end to the top of my car. But this always took a lot of time. Then I had to mount the AI and Amas on the carrier and strap them down. The whole operation usually took over an hour. Here is what the finished product looked like:

I decided a trailer would be better. I could strap the AI to it along with the Amas and the AKAs and mast. I could just leave them there permanently, with a cover over them of course. Then when I was ready to go sailing I could just Throw the Mirage drive, plug, paddles and dagger board in the trunk and take off. (I have the seat permanently glued in.) That would save me at least an hour. I found a small boat trailer on the web for $300.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=5002

I ordered it, assembled it and simply mounted my car-top carrier to the trailer. I left the boat rails off of course along with the two rubber rollers. I mounted the lights on a 1+4+4 mounted on the rear instead of on the metal frame. This meant I had to run an ground wire back to the frame. But the lights work gret.

I removed the front AKAs from the AMAs so that the AI would sit flush. Otherwise I just strap everything down using three cinch straps from Lowes for about $7 each. For the rack I used two 2+4+10s and nine 1+8+4s.

Works great and I love it. And best of all I have a brand new trailer and everything, including trailer, lumber, bolts and screws cost less than $400.

Note: This is the only boat trailer that Harbor Freight sells. They sell several other utility trailers that you might mount a kayak rack on, but the distance from the hitch to axel on all of them is far too short to use as an AI trailer.

Ron P.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see you have gone the way of the trailer Ron and I respect that decision. My mate Mickey was done the same though he has geared up for car-top travel similar to my own system for times when he would be towing a caravan, towable houseboat etc.
First most we have quality racks. I use foam pillows to cushion the boat which I carry upright on the roof racks and which do not distort or want to move when tied down. I put it up there solo and very easily using the Australian Rack & Roll system which is simple and inexpensive. I have been transporting the AI now that way for 8 months and find it both convenient, suitable and safe. I thought I would include a pic taken the other day of the whole rig up and tied down using Hobie straps here to give members an alternative to the trailer. There are no cords at front or rear and I have travelled many miles at the speed limit.....Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's my 1st version of a trailer/hauler/storage rack that's inexpensive and fairly easy to haul and load/unload. I suppose every design seems to be a compromise. As for me I'm a nut about rinsing the salt/sand off my gear so aside from the sail I just rinse it all off while it sits in place. Also I'd love to leave the AIs assembled side by side but the overall width is unwieldy for me. Stringys ingenious stacked version would solve many issues but it seems a bit challenging to hoist the top boat into place but most certainly solves the width issue. The concern of hot spots pressing on the boat while trailering, along with indentations and hull deformation in our brutal Florida summer heat should be solved by creating an 8' long carpeted soft nesting spot with equal yet constant support.

I laid the boat on the shop floor and observed the ideal width to allow the most balanced hull contact with support primarily on the outer hull lines, bolted the pt 2x4s on cross braces, carpeted the slot and stapled it in place. I allowed the center to cup downward into the deeper contour of the middle of the boat while drawing the ends taught to give equal support for the rocker in the bow/stern. It's basically a cushy 8' hammock. Two 8' pt 2x4s were used with some free old carpet from an apt tear out and there's always more where that came from. The trailer is a used galvanized small boat trailer from Craigslist for $200. A single jetski trailer should do just as well, just ck the tongue length.

The upright posts then have a couple 1 1/4" pvc supports for the amas. The masts are bungeed on top. I'd love the whole boat to be assembled for an easy launch right into the bay but I struggle with a our width compromises. Here's a couple pics as built to date but expect a few refinements if not a complete rebuild as time goes on. I like the idea of a gear box, I'm not shy about creative input and I'm trying to offer well rounded compromises for those who've already passed the financial threshold of their credit line;). Love the boats and the ingenious problem solving shared on the site. look fwd to many good days on the water.
Aloha,
Mike & Kelli

Up front

From the stern

Empty bunk and up right supports

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Mike & Kelli,

Nice rig. I like the carpeted hammock / cradle idea. I do agree with you about the width of two assembled AIs. I only haul them assembled when transporting locally. For highway trips I remove the amas and stack them. This is especially important if towing with the small car, while not so much when towing with the full size truck.

You mentioned looking for ideas for a gear box. Is there enough room on the tongue for an aluminum pickup truck tool box mounted lengthwise? It will increase your tongue weight a bit, but you can overcome that by shifting the boats rearward on the trailer. Mounting to the tongue frame keeps the weight low for better handling, and keeps it easy to get to for loading. Bolt a couple of crossbars to the top of the tongue (steel unistrut works well), and bolt the box to that. The boxes are available in different lengths (for different pickup bed widths), and different depths. Just make sure there's enough depth so you can close the lid with the Mirage Drive inside. I've found full width opening top door units are easier to load than the dual wing style. I like the aluminum boxes better than the plastic ones because you're going to be bolting to the floor of the box. Bolting through a metal floor just seems stronger than through a plastic floor. Used ones are usually pretty easy to find, too.

Hope that helps,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HI Guys:

Here is what I have been using to trail my two AI and two Sports. Everything that is need is store on the trailer or in the boats, so they is no additional space needed tow vehicle. In order to fit the AI on to the trailer, I disconnect the rear pontoon so that they lie closer to the kayak, giving me plenty of room. It is simple task to launch directly into the water or put on to carts an walk them to the shore. I have used this combo to drive to the Keys, Outer banks, Anna Maria, FL, Cape San Blas, FL and many local lakes and rivers with no trouble at all. The basic canoe trailer is availble online (ups shipping) from Magnetta trailers. Thanks, Ray J

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Forgot tok attach the link. http://picasaweb.google.com/ray.f.johns ... directlink

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next