Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very impressive, Stringy. Excellent pictures.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gee its amazing how different that Aunger trailer looks with its sides off. And adding the roof box is a stroke of genius. Great set up.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Version 3 of my trailer is nearing completion :wink: . Just have to tidy it up a bit, paint it and add tube end caps.

With the cart clipped to the kayak (thanks Roadrunner! 8) ) I can easily unload/load the AI's with ama attached by myself, using the cart to take most of the weight. Blue poly trailer rubbing strips attached to the racks and a roller make sliding the AI easy.

Packing up now takes much less time! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Stringy.

Why the roller at the front on your trailer?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave,
The roller makes sliding the AI all the way forward easier. I am using the Rhino rear loading cradles which have a slippery plastic rear cradle and a grippy rubber front cradle. Lifting the stern when the bow is on the roller allows me to clear the grippy front cradles and slide it all the way forward.
I couldn't easily mount a roller on the upper rack so I use the blue poly between the front cradles as a substitute roller.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy:
I noticed that you installed bow supports for your AIs on your trailer. Were you worried about the bows being distorted downward when the hulls were stored on the trailer?

When I got my Hobie Trailer Saddles and temporarily placed them
in positions similar to the dimensions on the 'official' Hobie trailer
I didn't like the long overhang behind the trailer! So, I moved
the saddles forward. Positioning the saddles further forward
meant I had to install a longer trailer tongue in front. I then noticed
that there was quite a bow overhang in front of the forward saddle.
So I installed a bow roller to support the bow keel.

When I bought my AI, Matt told me not to store the AI on the trailer because of hull distortions caused by longterm storage on the trailer.
I hope that by supporting the hull on the saddles and gently supporting
the bow will alleviate most storage distortion.

Has anyone used the saddles longterm and found noticeable hull distortion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Island is either on the water, on the pirate pillows on the roof rack on the way to or from the water, or stored on the pillows on two pine racks in the garage. I do like to have one rack under the mirage drive recess as that is one rigid part of the boat and the bow seems to be the heavier end. The boat is always stored right way up and never supported at bow or stern. No distortion visible in the hull Tidalwave...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great looking trailer, Stringy.

Regarding hull distortion, it occurs mainly (only?) in the stern. If your AI is loaded w/ the aka/amas attached and they are carrying some of the load when stored you probably will not get distortion (see Stringy's trailer).

If you are storing the hull only on 2 cross braces, say 4" wide, then you can expect hull distortion in the stern. Depending on the length of time the distortion has been allowed to set in, it may be difficult to restore the original shape of the hull. Setting the hull in the sun may relax it enough to restore the original shape.

I use a kayak trailer to transport my AI. The hull sets upright on two 4" cross braces. Left that way for 4-6 hrs, it will develop distortion in the stern. The distortion will likely affect the way your boat steers and its speed. You do not want distortion. With this potential problem in mind, I have a brace near the rudder to share the stern weight and prevent the distortion.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do you think if its sitting on kayak holders that there might still be distortion? These in my case are really working partly on the sides, rather than just at the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no experience on that, Geoff.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tidalwave,
The bow support was more for overall stability of the kayaks while transporting them and for taking some of the weight off the front cradles. The Rhino kayak cradles are only rated to 35kgs but I figured that with the AI supported at the bow and also by the ama on the rack bars the cradles wouldn't be overloaded.
I was concerned about hull distortion using the cradles so I posted some questions here before I began this. The replies I got from those using them were all positive. I can report I have had no hull distortion either and I store the AI's on the trailer. I do loosen all the tiedown straps and bungies.

Keith- Thanks. I agree with you about the hull distortion. My AI's are supported in 7 places (4 saddles, 2ama, 1bow) and this load sharing works.
The only hull distortion I had was when I left the hull on the cart overnight and suffered the usual cart crossbar dent. Roadrunner's balls solved that! :wink:

Geoff- The sides being curved are much stronger than the flat unsupported hull bottom and with the kayak cradle moulding to the exact shape there should be no problems. My AI's have been stored this way for 3 months now and are showing no distortion! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had to throw in my two cents on to this post. Last year I posed a similar question asking for advice on what trailer I should buy for my two new AIs. I got lost of advice and decided to get the new Hobie AI trailer from Trailex. I like that it was light weight and would not rust.

I think I have one of the first double Tralex AI trailers (serial # 16) and wanted to post pictures and my thoughts for any one considering the same for their AIs.

In this picture you can see that both kayaks fit very low and out of the wind when towing. I am able to carry the mast on the kayaks with out the mast rack between the kayaks. The trailer was delivered to my house by FedEx and assembly took about 3 hours my self. No special tools are needed, just follow the step by step instructions from Trailex.

A couple of changes I hand made since assembly was to move out the front crossbar forward so I had 67" between the saddles and to move out the rear saddles to the outer edge of the crossbar to allow room to carry both masts in the center between the kayaks. This will allow me to double stack to additional kayaks on the trailer wen we go on vacation this summer. The smaller wheel size is not an issue because the over all weight with both AIs is less than 450 lbs. I can even move the trialer around the yard by my self like dolly.

I would highly recommended this trailer to any one looking for a double AI trailer. Best part with Hobie's and Trailex name on it you know it is of high quality.

Post subject: Re: AI Trailers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

I've got the Hobie Tandem Trailer and love it.

Be it known that you can add optional fore and rear T braces (I did it) which allows the addition of an automotive roof box for extra storage. Awesome.

Be it known that these upright supports will scuff the outsides of these amas when you drag them onto the supports.

Be it known that such abrasions are cosmetic only and will not affect the integrity of the boat.

We take care of our boats mostly for function. However, the black paint on the crossbars scratches easily. No matter how much care you take of the plastic, a very small scuff will irreparably mar it.

Every cosmetic scuff and scratch only reminds me of the fun we've had dragging them up thru brush to camping spaces.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rangerdude wrote:

I think I have one of the first double Tralex AI trailers (serial # 16) and wanted to post pictures and my thoughts for any one considering the same for their AIs.

I would highly recommended this trailer to any one looking for a double AI trailer. Best part with Hobie's and Trailex name on it you know it is of high quality.

I'm with you on the Trailex trailers. Well engineered, easy to work with, and LIGHT! I've got the SUT-250, but I suspect yours is based from the SUT-350. I couldn't find the AI trailer on the Trailex site. What's the weight rating of that? I like the SUT-250/350 design because it had room to add storage. I mounted a pair of aluminum pick-up truck tool boxes along the center frame, between the uprights. Before I did that the trailer only weighed 112 lbs. Even now, with two AIs, the tool boxes, and all the gear, it still weighs in between 400-450 lbs. It tows just fine behind a MINI Cooper, even if it does knock my MPG down to around 24.

MINI Cooper & Trailex SUT-250 with two AIs & a bike
This was with the original 8 in wheels, and before the second tool box, or the cradles were installed

Trailex SUT-250 with 12 in wheels, dual toolboxes, and AI cradles

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject: Re: AI Trailers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thankx for posting pictures of the new Hobie Trailex tandem AI trailer. I now realize Hobie has left the Carnai setup (I got mine in '08) with vertical posts between the boats and gone onto something different.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next