Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lakeside Storage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I am 5' 2" and although it pains me to say so, I'm not super strong (yeah. I sail like a girl. Ok. I AM a girl. NOT THAT IT SHOULD MATTER. But it kinda does, in this case. :lol: ) I just got a shiny new 2015 AI! I have to say that it is SOOOOO much nicer than my 2010 AI! I loved my 2010 but ADORE the 2015. I felt a little silly upgrading, but hate that the seat in the 2010 has no drain. Everything that I didn't like about the 2010 has been fixed!! Hoorah for a dry butt!!!! LOVE NOT SITTING IN WATER!!!!!! And yes. It WAS worth the expense of buying a new one. Well done, Hobie! This is a beautifully engineered boat. :)

Anyway, unlike so many of you brave rugged gents, I am a fair weather sailor. Love a brisk breeze (especially in this new boat) but I just love to roll out of bed and into my AI. The one challenge with the new boat is it is MUCH heavier for me to handle, so if I'm going to get to enjoy the boat, it's going to have to live outside next to the lake. It has a nice grassy patch but it's not going to get cradles and it IS going to spend the summer on the ground.

My question is, has anyone found a decent way to cover the AI while it's sitting on the ground? The cover designed for the boat is pretty useless to me. Any thoughts?

I have a tiny boat house, so the mast and gear get to live inside. Taller mast fits. just. :) I have a neighbor that has his TI moored behind his house fully rigged, so I don't feel QUITE so guilty about abusing my new treasure!

Post subject: Re: Lakeside Storage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Krisspe.
We are all jealous that you can roll out of your bed into your adored AI and sail away.
I certainly dream of such a situation.
Not sure where you are from but I spent a few weeks on the Sunshine coast in Australia's North East.
I had my TI on a hand cart with what was equal to one cradle so I could wheel it through the trailer
park to a river to the ocean. I found after a few days, a dent in the hull from the cradle so I took it
off the cart each day and rested it on the lawn. Now the temperature each day was well over 30 degrees,
(86 Fahrenheit) so I was not surprised at the dent.
Resting on the lawn in the heat, the dent came out itself and did not return. I guess no stones and soft
grass that took on the shape of the hull somewhat had the right effect.

Would like to see a photo of your situation and the closeness of the water.
This was my best situation, unfortunately in a trailer park in South Australia for only a couple of weeks.