Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof Rack Options?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a few questions on transporting the AI.. I just purchased an 09 toyota tacoma dbl cab and i'm trying to determine the best way to transport the boat(s). I know a trailer is probably the best way but with Condo living i dont know if thats an option right now. So here are my questions.

Boats:
Adventure Island and a 13ft Ocean Kayak Prowler.

1) Should I use the clip on Thule or Yakima rack? It looks like the max load for Thule is 165lb - Yakima is 100lb - either way the weight of both boats is 170lbs so i'm already pushing it?
Has anyone put 2 kayaks ontop of a Tacoma with either rack? SHare pics if you got em!

2) Camper Shell options? I'm planning on purchasing a camper shell. Does anyone know if I purchase the optional Thule rack for the camper shell, what's the max load? It'll probably be a Leer Shell?

3) Do the clip on racks scratch the car?

4) And finally if I did purchase a trailer instead of a rack, do you know anywhere around DC/MD/VA where I can store the trailer and boats?

Thanks for everyones help.. cant wait for the weather on the east to warm up! at least its giving me some time to figure out how to transport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

I have an '08 Tacoma quad cab with a Snug Top sport shell / cap. I have bolted on gutter brackets (use to call them Bronco Brackets) and use a Thule rack with standard gutter feet. Get the longer bars for more width. I think mine are 65". It is very solid and have carried two kayaks easily. Your issue will be the amas and mast in addition to the other two kayak hulls. If you get some cradles, you can strap the amas and mast on top of the Adventure hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you have a camper shell then you may consider building this ramp to help you load.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... c&start=25

Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Options?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AI_VA wrote:
Boats:
Adventure Island and a 13ft Ocean Kayak Prowler.

I just happen to have a 13ft Prowler and an AI. Here they are on a Subaru Forester, using a J-rack (amas go inside the car, though I can strap them on top of the AI if I have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 'Rack & Roll' system that I use is flawless, cheap and simple, though a set of steps may be also necessary for the lift onto an extra high vehicle. Also works very well with the Thule bars...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your help.. this site is great!

I should have mentioned I have two sets of yakima j bars already. We'll see what the dealer for the Leer caps say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not a Tacoma, but I have 2 Yakima Q-towers, Q-clips, and 60+in load bar over the cab. 2 Hullavators, 'half' of two AIs with a mast/sail strapped on top of each boat. Very solid, have taken it on a few road trips. Holds up very nicely at hwy speeds. I also tie down both kayaks at front and back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AI_VA wrote:
1) Should I use the clip on Thule or Yakima rack? It looks like the max load for Thule is 165lb - Yakima is 100lb - either way the weight of both boats is 170lbs so i'm already pushing it?
Has anyone put 2 kayaks ontop of a Tacoma with either rack? SHare pics if you got em!

I think that 165 or 100 lb limit is per rack, and you'll be using two, so with your load spread over both you'll be fine.

I have two Yakima Q-Tower racks (round bars simplify life, believe me) and a Thule Hullivator (pricey, but good). It handles the AI with ease.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I think that 165 or 100 lb limit is per rack, and you'll be using two, so with your load spread over both you'll be fine.

If anyone can verify this... I'd love to hear that!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking that weight is based on the car/rack combination.. example, the yakima q-towers on other vehicles is rated at 165, on a tacoma dbl cab i was told its max 100lbs. It dont believe its based on the j-bars or other attachments that may be up there, i could be wrong.

I think I'm leaning towards the camper shell with a thule rack system. I was quoted 250lbs max. Planning on using 1 j-bar setup (for prowler) and 1 cradle setup (for AI).

Anyone know if Thule has the similar 'Boat Loader' option as Yakima? The option where you can extend the crossbar? I've read a bunch on this site on ways to load the boats, just wondering if Thule actually made something.
I think that will be the only issue with the above setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

While of course the rack's weight capacity rating is calculated partially based on the strength of the rack components, it's also based on the vehicle it's being mounted on. This includes the mounting method, such as when using the factory rack tracks/rails, but also the height & width of the vehicle. Putting that much weight so high in the air will have a significant effect on the vehicle's center of gravity, and therefore its handling. This was discussed at length in another tread a couple months ago. http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=11367

Personally, I've been driving lifted 4x4s for years, and have carried many roof rack loads that have far exceeded the manufacturers specifications. While I've never had a problem as a result, I'd be the last to say there isn't a potential problem. Just make sure the racks are mounted securely, and that the boats are securely tied down. After that, just drive sensibly, keeping in mind that the handling is likely going to be less stable than usual.

Happy sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2003 Tacoma 4 door with Snug Top cap with a Yakima gutter mount and cross bars and Yakima J holder and a Thule Hullavator. I will be replacing the J holder with another Hullavator I have already purchased. It works perfectly and I have confidence the Tacoma and bars can handle the load of the AI and an Outback that we are carrying. We have previously hauled 2 16 foot ocean kayaks and a 12foot Porta-Bote on the roof all over the country with not a single hint of a problem. We secure our kayaks well including front and back tie down ropes.