Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a trailer for my Hobie Adventure Island's.

I'm not sure whether to build a trailer to take both side by side, or just to take one of them which would be all I'd need most of the time.

What do people use to make cradles for hulls on trailers. The flash glass hobie ones are about $400 but I figure laminated ply or similar would be cheaper and about as easy.

What sort of frame setup do people use?

I was thinking a crucifix style trailer using a 5.5m long piece of 40mm thick wall SHS gal and a crucific to mount the axle & suspension on, and some cross bars to support the yak/s. Centre pole cradle for masts and amas maybe?

Next question? Suspension or not. With most spring packs starting at 600kg plus and two AI's weighing less than 100kg is there any point as it's going to be so over sprung anyway.

I'm generally not looking at long distance towing and was thinking 13" wheels or similar.

Any plans or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Dave,

I after a long search in Aus, did what another fellow had done, and that is use a small Aunger box trailer, but I was not bothered about carrying two AIs. I was much more focussed on saving money too! I am sure that two could be achieved, by stowing the hulls upright, father than flat. A long thread on an Aussie kayak site covered my issues, but I am very happy with the result, other than noting its far easier to load and unload if the AI is much closer to the ground, which precludes using a box trailer:

Road Trailer for a yak

Mine has a torsion bar suspension, with shock absorbers. A typical axle springs and wheels setup will start at $600 before you add any steel to your trailer.

If I had really wanted to carry two AIs, I suspect I would have not sold the H14 trailer I had, that went in excellent condition with rego for $370. That makes a wonderful starting frame. And its low to the ground.

Its not essential to have 13 inch wheels. I can tow at 110 km for long distances with 10 inch wheels. Not sure where you are seeing spring packs at 600kg, I have never seen a cat trailer with more than maybe 200kgs all up. Or are you referring to the load its expected to carry? I guess stuff designed for stinkers will be heavily rated.

This thread http://www.hobiecat.com/community/posti ... st&p=61570 is also with an Aunger trailer, same as mine, but with the sides taken off. Its a good option.

Geoff.