Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Jim,

I was joking about the sharks :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

While I have leaned over the side to install and retrieve the wheels, I usually do it while standing next to the boat. I'm either already wet, or about to get wet anyway, so why not. As for my wheels vs the larger pneumatic ones, a friend of mine does use those (black rubber tires, not the gray Wheeleez), and she does it the same way. Once you've done it a few times, getting the posts into the scupper holes is like typing without looking at the keys... You just know where they are. Definitely want to put them in while the amas are out though. Shorter distance to reach makes it a lot easier regardless of what position you're working from.

We don't get many sharks in the Chesapeake Bay, but when the water warms up in late summer, the sea nettles (jellyfish) can be rather annoying.

- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the tip Jim and I will definately be practicing placing the wheels in before I beach her next time..Pirate
Chris- we do get white pointers here is summer but they have nothing in common with sharks :lol: :lol: Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nope......Just can't do it try as I did. Tried for ten mins on the water yesterday but only managed to struggle it into position on one occasion.
Went kyaking after dinner last night in our local river, and this provided me with a perfect opportunity to see if I could set the trolley up underneath whilst on the water before hitting the launching ramp. It may work with the smaller wheels but the amount of air in the balloon wheels I have won't let me push the cart down in the right position. I let the cart wheels down to minimum to see if that helped which it did not. I may have to invest in the other cheaper cart as I really would like to be set up before I hit the ramp and just walk the boat out without fuss...Pirate :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Nope......Just can't do it try as I did. Tried for ten mins on the water yesterday but only managed to struggle it into position on one occasion.
Went kyaking after dinner last night in our local river, and this provided me with a perfect opportunity to see if I could set the trolley up underneath whilst on the water before hitting the launching ramp. It may work with the smaller wheels but the amount of air in the balloon wheels I have won't let me push the cart down in the right position. I let the cart wheels down to minimum to see if that helped which it did not. I may have to invest in the other cheaper cart as I really would like to be set up before I hit the ramp and just walk the boat out without fuss...Pirate :?

Thanks for trying Pirate. I was going to give it a go yesterday too but just ran out of time! :shock:
We probably don't need to buy a new cart - maybe we can just remove the beach wheels and replace them with some alternative ones. The problem will be finding something that is suitable for marine use. It might be just as easy to buy cheap cart wheels from Autobarn,Supercheap, Dahlesens etc and just toss them when they're knackered. :roll:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pirate wrote:
It may work with the smaller wheels but the amount of air in the balloon wheels I have won't let me push the cart down in the right position. I let the cart wheels down to minimum to see if that helped which it did not. I may have to invest in the other cheaper cart as I really would like to be set up before I hit the ramp and just walk the boat out without fuss...Pirate :?

Well I have some Supercheap Auto soft wheels fitted, and I don't have any issues:
, but I am about to buy an expensive cart with big 8 inch Wheeleeze wheels:
, and if I can't fit that while in the water, I am going to be very upset. It's not really practical to turn an AI on its side.

Geoff.

Last edited by Geoff on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geoff, the new wider kart may have an advantage over my Hobie kart in that it will be easier for you to use both arms over the side together and push directly down. I found last night I also had to get around as well as under the boat as my kart is considerably narrower which itself provided a big problem. Let us know how you get on.

Mickey you could be onto something there but remember the wheels still need to have pneumatic tyres as they need to float under the boat or we will lose our carts, and no bearings or plasic bearing in the hubs would be the go...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate - it looks like Geoff's Supercheap tyres work OK - if I am reading his response correctly. However if that's the case then why does he need a wider cart :roll: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mickeymouse wrote:
Pirate - it looks like Geoff's Supercheap tyres work OK - if I am reading his response correctly. However if that's the case then why does he need a wider cart :roll: :?

This needs a very long answer to cover all the issues. But those wheels are rusting, and I want a more permanent solution than changing them every 9 months or so. I have discovered the Wheeleez tires are really the only long term solution, that will carry an AI across really soft sand, but you need the bigger size than what Hobie provides, and the standard Hobie cart does not have a wide enough stance, even on paved surfaces. I went into a pot hole a week back, and the whole thing tipped over. If you are interested in all the alternatives I have considered, have a look at this thread Modifying the Hobie Wheels

and Trolley Wheels

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I must be missing something here. The standard Hobie cart fully supports the AI, is easy to insert, floats, requires no air, is much easier to pull and takes a lickin.

Not the greatest on soft sand, but is the best around from launch ramps to semi-compacted surfaces. Maybe these aren't available Down Under? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
I must be missing something here. The standard Hobie cart fully supports the AI, is easy to insert, floats, requires no air, is much easier to pull and takes a lickin.
Not the greatest on soft sand, but is the best around from launch ramps to semi-compacted surfaces. Maybe these aren't available Down Under? 8)

Roadrunner - can you insert this standard cart prior to beaching or landing?
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:

Maybe you don't actually have sand on your beaches? You know, the soft stuff that runs through your fingers, gets under the cozzie, and into the sailing boots? :lol: Let me know and I will post a few pics of real beaches. Naturally I have that Hobie standard cart, gave up on it quick smart. Works on pavement, and that's about it. Except when you have potholes, and those we do have. You can't even pull that standard cart out the water. The hard rims just go mining, or maybe looking for sand crabs.

Geoff

Last edited by Geoff on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey wrote:
Quote:
can you insert this standard cart prior to beaching or landing?

Mickey,

See Stringy's and Jim_L's posts earlier in this thread. I can confirm that the standard cart can be inserted while in the water. As to soft sand, the standard cart is hopeless - I just drag the AI across with no trolley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Pirate wrote:
...opportunity to see if I could set the trolley up underneath whilst on the water before hitting the launching ramp. ?
When Pirate mentioned "launching ramp" I realized that they are made out of that stuff that runs through your fingers. But here they add a little cement and gravel to it and call it con-crete. Works pretty good with those standard carts!:wink:

Mickey, I install and extract my cart in the water. I do it from outside the boat, but it's easy to do one handed. 8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Quote:
can you insert this standard cart prior to beaching or landing?

Mickey,

See Stringy's and Jim_L's posts earlier in this thread. I can confirm that the standard cart can be inserted while in the water. As to soft sand, the standard cart is hopeless - I just drag the AI across with no trolley.

OK - I'm confused :?
Pirate can't get them in prior to beaching or landing at a concrete launching ramp; Jim L jumps in the water & inserts them (if I recall correctly) and Stringy just reaches over the side & using his eyes to line up one hole, manages to get them in. Have I got ot right :?:
Maybe there is also an issue as to whether they are using the standard cart wheels or the larger beach wheels :roll:
Mickey