Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My AI suffered scupper hole damage early in its life so I cant use a scupper cart. I have the alum. colapsable one like this

but only use it to move around the yard. Last season I got caught out and having a cart like the C-tug stored in the foward hatch would have saved the day. I never take the Alum. one above out with me ... to big and bulky.

So - does the AI fit well enough on the C-tug ?

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The C-tug is my cart of choice for the AI. I have both the Hobie scupper cart and the C-tug but the C-tug gets all the use. It's so easy to pull out from underneath the AI when you get where your going. I found the Hobie cart that fits into the scupper holes to be a pain. The C-tug is very strong and I routinely pull the AI fully assembled and loaded with it without any problems.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rumour has it that the AI/TI of the future will have built in landing wheels that retract along the sides of the hull, thereby solving this dilemna. :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And if you believe that, please PM me as I can offer a great deal on an Opera House and Harbour Bridge package deal :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
The C-tug is my cart of choice for the AI.

Thanks for your advice .. I will now purchase one.

Last year, I made the crossing on Lake Champlain from Port Kent NY to Burlington VT (about 12 miles as the crow flys) only to have the wind totally flat at 5p for the return trip. There is a ferry that runs the exact route and if I had a cart with my I simply would have pulled it onto the ferry and then pedal'd the mile or so along the coast to home. Instead, I had to have my wife take my truck, wait for 2 ferry's, then miss the last ferry back ... travel north 65 miles to the next ferry (which runs 24/7) .. and another 65 miles back down. Ohh, and it was our last day up at the in-laws so dinner plans out with her parents kinda got squashed. Even with the heat on, the temp inside my truck was absolutely fridgid.

... I'll take a pass on the Opera House, but a bridge sounds like it might come in handy - especially for the above trip ! Is it packable into the front hatch ?

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"Even with the heat on, the temp inside my truck was absolutely fridgid." :lol:
I too use the C-tug 99% of the time, partly because the last time I used the Hobie cart, one of the welds on the frame broke. I've been waiting for one of my neighbours to get back from Arizona to help me spot weld the frame together.
The only complaint I have about the C-Tug is the strap--I still don't feel I'm doing it quite right.
T2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The C-tug does store nicely in the front hatch. I normally just walk it back to the car but yes you could easily store it in the hatch while sailing.

The strap has been a source of confusion and frustration for many as the instructions are limited and do not explain how to apply the strap very well. I have it figured out finally but it took some trial and error. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures and upload them so that you can see what I think is the correct way to do it.

If mine ever broke, I would definitely re-buy it. It's solid as a rock and I'll bet it lasts as long as the boat though.

I find that you have to be careful and place the straps over a part of the AI that will keep the C-tug from slipping off the boat since the boat is overall cone shaped. I used the bungee knobs in the tank well and place the strap just in front of them.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been very happy with the C-tug for more than two years now.

For loading the AI onto my VW Jetta roof rack, I'd put a piece of carpet on the trunk and rear glass. Then, position the c-tug as close as possible to the stern of the boat.

This way I could push and slide the boat all the way onto the roof rack with a great deal of ease while the wheels kept the boat moving along the ground.

For longer hauls to launch, position the C-tug under the center of gravity of the boat and it's very easy to lift and maneuver.

The wheels do well on grass, gravel, and coarse lake sand. I haven't tried them on fine beach sand yet.

-Chris

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm looking around for a replacement for the Hobie plug-in cart too...

My issue with the 'standard' c-tug is that the wheels appear to be a little narrow for use on soft sand. My current Hobie cart has the balloon tyres, which work pretty well on soft sand.

I have to haul my yak over about 50-100m of soft sand, then 150m of sealed tarmac road and finally 100m of unsealed/gravel road to get to my house. The balloon tyres work okay on the latter two surfaces, but drag quite a bit (due to the low tyre-pressure) and look like they could puncture fairly easily.

I've heard mention of 'sidewinder' wheels for the c-tug. Has anyone tried them?

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mickeymouse wrote:
Rumour has it that the AI/TI of the future will have built in landing wheels that retract along the sides of the hull, thereby solving this dilemna. :wink:

Hey Mickey, THAT idea can't come soon enough...I have been thinking along those lines myself, though I am no inventive engineering type... my efforts are more akin to 'Jerry-rigging". Like I said in one of my posts somewhere, we AI/TI owners are an innovative lot, and the fact that we are always working on improvements just means we have the perfect base on which to display our individualism and bright ideas. Thankfully we have a manufacturer with a good 'ideas team' who it appears are always thoughtfully scratching their collective chins as they read about and study their custom-ers custom-ising efforts.
Cheers, Vintagereplica
If it works ok, modify it anyway!