Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is damage to the trailered AI by things flipped-up from the road when traveling, particularly on gravel surfaced roads, been experienced by anyone? Any solutions? I will buy the Hobie single w/cradle if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My parents have a screen on the front of their caravan to stop stones chipping the caravan or bouncing off the caravan and hitting the back of the car. This happened to freinds of ours as we toured around Australia. A stone bounced off their "Off road" tralier and smashed the back window. We are all very careful when towing now
The screen is basically a frame mounted to the tralier leaning forward, with shade cloth or flywire mesh on it, but the mesh needs to have some give, not streached tight. This absords the energy of the stones and they just drop to the ground instead of bounching back into the car. With a plastic AI behind you, could be a good idea to create a small version. Google images for "caravan stone guard" and you can see some different types. Or someone more forum savy than me might post some appropriate photos.

Firey_Scott.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've towed one & two AI's over 8000 miles in the past three summers. I have not had a single bit of road debris damage to either boat. Most of my towing has been highway, so I haven't had to deal with significant gavel. Unless you want to count the Pennsylvania Turnpike, that is. I am towing behind a MINI Cooper, a Ford F-250 4x4 pickup, and a Ford Excursion 4x4. The trailer is a Trailex SUT-250-M2. This trailer does have the boats positioned fairly high, so that may help. As seen in the photo, I have a couple of tool boxes now mounted below the boats, but those were not there for the first 4000 miles.

Hope this info helps answer your question.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to you who responded to my question. Your input is very helpful.