Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The manual seems to indicate that, but the trailer that Hobie sells and the cradles they sell are obviously for cockpit up usage. What is the deal-io?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yes - this is correct. If you don't use the cradle set, the only way to transport it is disassembled up-side-down. The deck area is the stiffest, if you just had it sitting upright on a couple of cross bars - you are guaranteed to dent/damage the bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, newb to the boards myself... kayaker and potential AI purchaser. I have a relevant question:

Would J-Cradles be a viable alternative to transporting deck-down on padded crossbars? Kind of like this-

http://www.backcountryracks.com/sportra ... -rack.html

Thanks!

=Timm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those work too - maybe not so good for an Island though - its best on a trailer with cradles- but if you 'must' car-top, of course you'll be taking the boat apart - so any kayak rack system will do the same thing, support the boat in some way or another - any of the rack companies can help with options, there is nothing unique about Hobie SOT kayaks to any other brand. So seek the expertise of the rack names (Yakima or Thule)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay, thanks. I am indeed forced to cartop, as I am hauling my kayaks around on top of a Mini. So far, I've travelled quite some distance with two sea kayaks (15' and 17') without issue. Haven't topped a SOT yet, so I have some (light) concerns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayak saddles that are available from most roof rack manufacturers also work well. It's easy to slide the kayak right way up straight onto the saddles and you don't have the hassle of turning it upside down when on the roof.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:D :D :D Then there is the very best option of Pirate's Pillows which can be made inexpensively and will do equally a good job. My AI has been sitting on them upright now for 9 months with no distortion of the hull. I have two sets. One for the garage racks where it spends most of its time, and another for the car racks. :D :D :D Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Uhh.. I'm almost afraid to ask what a Pirate Pillow is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

apr67 wrote:
Uhh.. I'm almost afraid to ask what a Pirate Pillow is.

Sometimes a dacron filled stuffed parrot. Very comfy so long as the beak doesn't stick you in the back of the head.... :)

Or it can mean this (toward the end of the page)-

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11367&hilit=pillow&start=45

Not sure if the photos are still there. Quite often then get blocked from here at work. So I can't see them right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've done both. Upside down better, no hull deflection. I once left my rig upright on the truck and strapped down all day while working, luckily the bend came out. Now only cockpit down for me.
Aloha ka'kou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine is a different tale. Strapped down right way up on top of the 'Pirate Pillows' with no distortion what-so-ever, and spends its life on a set on 'pillowed' racks with no problems. Must be the Pirate Dacron. :D :D Originally tried 'wrong way up' but it difficult to get it up and over and the aka braces were very unforgiving on the car roof.....Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It seems the choice of which way to cartop the AI depends on the characteristics of one's car - I can't slide my AI straight up onto saddles, like Stringy, because the rails on my Forester require the rear roofrack to be too far forward. On the other hand, I don't have a problem with the aka braces scratching the roof, like Pirate does - presumably the clearance of my racks is a bit higher.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What I find interesting is that I've never seen any hobie kayaks in a store upside down, including the AI.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
It seems the choice of which way to cartop the AI depends on the characteristics of one's car - I can't slide my AI straight up onto saddles, like Stringy, because the rails on my Forester require the rear roofrack to be too far forward. On the other hand, I don't have a problem with the aka braces scratching the roof, like Pirate does - presumably the clearance of my racks is a bit higher.

Chris my Thule roof racks are very adedequate to carry the AI inverted once up there. I like others here however found the AI is very unbalanced in the inverted position and impossible to get up there one up without risking significant damage to the car. I found that the only practical way I could carry the AI inverted on the roof racks was to put it up there right way up then flip it over. This involves an extra step when both loading and unloading and can be a bit of a hazardous process in high wind situations. Also far less salt water dumps onto the car if I carry it upright, almost nothing if I wipe the hull first with a towel before lifting it up unlike when inverted when it drips from all the nooks and crannies as well as the wet seat. I have read and viewed pictures here of several methods of loading and transporting the AI on the racks some quite elaborate and expensive but IMHO the system I am using is simple and cheap and fits the bill perfectly....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With my Thule Hullavator I can load the AI either way equally easy. But I normally carry it inverted because I often leave the AI on the cartop for extended periods and it needs to be locked - which is much easier inverted. I also have the illogical impression that it is more aerodynamic that way. The Hullavator cradles are padded, so I suspect that hull denting when carrying upright would likely be minimal - and would probably be the best way to carry it if I left the AKAs attached (but there is not enough room to leave the AMAs attached).

Click thumbnail to go to album.