Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

Been working on a little project for a week or so to enable transport of the two AI's on top of our Kanga Off Road Camper.

Mickey & Pirate are currently down in Mallacoota and when they come back I'll be heading down (case of bad timing) with the kids for 10 days.

I wanted to be able to take both boats - and the boat but the wife will have to tow that down :D - as we have other family and friends coming down too. Linton has a Hobie Outback so we'll be doing bit of 'yak fishing.

Anyway I've worked out some racks to take both AI's and thought I'd post some pics.

Both AI's on the camper - only things left to find space for are drives, aka bag & seat.

Still tossing up whether to build a second set of ama supports on the right hand side in this pic. I'll know after this trip.

Boats riding on their side against uprights. Gotta love pool noodles.

The back bar under the boats and the back bar of the boat rack have the blue boat trailer teflon style strip on it. Made loading a snap compared with the pool noodle I had on there first.

Kids bikes used to ride up here but they'll be relegated to a bike rack on the back of the camper.

I've also realised if I want to do away with the rod tube I can transport the rods in the AI hulls. One less thing to take...

Be interested to hear improvement ideas for the yak racks.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beautiful Dave. That set-up looks great with a nice tight and neat fit for everything. We are back from Mallacoota, and had a ball in 25 knots in the lake then paddled 2 hours up the Wallaraugh River next day then 2 hours back. Unbelievable winderness area that is a must do. A full report to follow with extreme video taken with boat screaming across the water. Just got to edit it then pop it onto Youtube with a link. Have a great holiday mate. The weather and scenery just can't be beaten anywhere ...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

The racks performed as well as I hoped. No damage and nothing moved.

Bit fiddly putting the straps on to secure stuff but that's no different to the 4wd. Now that I'm back I have some ideas for version 2. Watch this space...

Dave