Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've also got Thule Hullavators on Thule racks in the bed of my truck and have been transporting it cockpit up for over a year now with no problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Also far less salt water dumps onto the car if I carry it upright, almost nothing if I wipe the hull first with a towel before lifting it up unlike when inverted when it drips from all the nooks and crannies as well as the wet seat.

Pirate, I always flip the hull over on the ground to drain while I pack away the other gear. I'd do that even if I was loading the boat upright, rather than leave the mast well marinading in salt water.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Also far less salt water dumps onto the car if I carry it upright, almost nothing if I wipe the hull first with a towel before lifting it up unlike when inverted when it drips from all the nooks and crannies as well as the wet seat.

Pirate, I always flip the hull over on the ground to drain while I pack away the other gear. I'd do that even if I was loading the boat upright, rather than leave the mast well marinading in salt water.

Then we agree to be different Chris. I use a sponge to soak up any water in the mast well then pop the end of my main sheet in the hole for storage then blocked by the same but wrung out sponge. Also Chris it is virtually impossible for me given normal time restraints at the end of a sailing or kayaking session to allow sufficient time for adequate drying off on the deck, especially in winter when the water just wants to cling rather than drain. By the same token as I previously stated, a quick rub over with my towel on the smooth hull is all that is needed to remove anything that wants to drip. I do this when the stern is up being supported by the Rack 'n Roll bar but the bow is still on the ground before being lifted onto the car. There seems to be a myriad of ways to transport our rigs but I see my way as uncomplicated and safe and for me the best option by far...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wasn't trying to "convert" you Pirate. We've both tried cartopping our boats both ways, so it's just a matter of personal preference. I towel mine down also, to prevent drips on the car.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got myself a little 12v pressure washer with a 13 Litre water tank built in. Doesn't sound like much but it's very water efficient and gives you enough to wash down the whole AI. In fact by the time you've washed the whole thing down you still have water left and you're looking for more stuff to wash...

The pressure isn't too high. Not much chance of taking off paint or getting past gaskets if you were washing down an engine but enough to get rid of sand and salt.

Saves me having to do it later when I get home. Plus it gets air dried during the drive home... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
I got myself a little 12v pressure washer with a 13 Litre water tank built in. Doesn't sound like much but it's very water efficient and gives you enough to wash down the whole AI. In fact by the time you've washed the whole thing down you still have water left and you're looking for more stuff to wash...

The pressure isn't too high. Not much chance of taking off paint or getting past gaskets if you were washing down an engine but enough to get rid of sand and salt.

Saves me having to do it later when I get home. Plus it gets air dried during the drive home... :)

Good thinking Cows... Mickey has one of those too and is apparently very happy with it. When I see them on sale I may well take the plunge also.
You are right Chris. We have both got it right from our own perspectives.
I was going to give the tramps a burl this weekend but the weather has taken a turn for the worse and I have opted to stay warm and dry.....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:

Yeah, Stringy has one of those - they look great. So which tribe do you belong to CGM - trailer, upright, inverted?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Yeah, Stringy has one of those - they look great. So which tribe do you belong to CGM - trailer, upright, inverted?

I'm a rooftop inverted kinda guy. No room to store another trailer. Unfortunatly the Podtrailer I've got is too short to carry the AI. When I go away the AI will have to go on the roof with the Podtrailer following along behind.

I use a aluminium pole out the side and slide the hull up at a 45 deg onto the roof rack basket. Then slide it into position and flip it upside down. I was thinking of putting the basket offset to one side and a couple of J-racks. Then I can still use the basket when I go away. I've got to be mindfull of the weight up top though.

I'll try and take some photos.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:? Another 'I do it inverted' convert. :? :?
Whilst walking the dog just before dark tonight I got thinking about the subject being discussed of the little 12 volt water pumping system. I believe they are approx $150 a piece and a little bunky for storage even in a boot. I was considering low cost alternatives. How do you think a cheap 'plastic bladder' solar shower used for camping etc. would go as an acceptable substitute to wash down the boat after each outing?......Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
I believe they are approx $150 a piece ....

Or $99 on special. :D
Keep an eye open at Repco, Supercheap Autos and similar such stores.

Pirate wrote:
How do you think a cheap 'plastic bladder' solar shower used for camping etc. would go as an acceptable substitute to wash down the boat after each outing?......Pirate

Not sure how this would go based on efficency. A pressure washer means you can do more with less water. You might find you need to carry more water to do the same job with a camping shower. Of course if you can fill up at the launching area then that's not such a problem.

What about a collapsable bucket, eco-friendly detergent (and don't want suds in the waterways) and a sponge?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowsgomoo wrote:
Pirate wrote:

They are about $40 here in the US: NOMAD, which appears to be identical to Australia's Car Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

By atticdoorways, shot with FinePix S1000fd at 2009-07-03
I load the bow of my A.I. onto an extension rod which slides into the forward cross bar on my Thule rack. Then I lift the stern onto the rear cross bar . Hobies DVD actually promotes Yakimas version of this. I leave it upright and connect to the bars with ratchet type tie downs. So many people secure their yaks incorrectly! The most important connection is to the rear of the car so the yak doesnt blast off in a front impact collision. And they use those cheap buckle type straps! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BlueMark wrote:
Cowsgomoo wrote:
Pirate wrote:

They are about $40 here in the US: NOMAD, which appears to be identical to Australia's Car Cube

Glad I happened on this thread as I live in a second floor apartment and have not considered options for washing the A.I. Nice idea with the power washer but I think I would need a bigger tank...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aledal wrote:
Glad I happened on this thread as I live in a second floor apartment and have not considered options for washing the A.I. Nice idea with the power washer but I think I would need a bigger tank...

You wouldn't want much more or you lose the portability. But it is easy to refill from a handy spigot, or jerry can, or even a bucket full of reasonably clean lake water.

Note that this is not really a 'power' or 'pressure' washer. It is approximately the same as what you would get with a pistol sprayer on a garden hose.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got it. I dont have the luxury of washing her. In a second floor apartment my day starts out with getting her off the stairwell and onto the truck. Off the truck into the water. Off the water on to the truck. Off the truck and back into/ on-to the stairwell. She takes up the whole damn stairwell at 16 feet. Not to mention all her compliments. Sometimes i miss the simplicity of my Outback. Now its like Im in an F-14 Tomcat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next