Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:03 pm
Posts: 9
I've also got Thule Hullavators on Thule racks in the bed of my truck and have been transporting it cockpit up for over a year now with no problems.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1785
Location: Calga NSW, Australia
Pirate wrote:
Also far less salt water dumps onto the car if I carry it upright, almost nothing if I wipe the hull first with a towel before lifting it up unlike when inverted when it drips from all the nooks and crannies as well as the wet seat.

Pirate, I always flip the hull over on the ground to drain while I pack away the other gear. I'd do that even if I was loading the boat upright, rather than leave the mast well marinading in salt water.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:03 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:39 am
Posts: 863
Location: Bairnsdale, Victoria Australia
chrisj wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Also far less salt water dumps onto the car if I carry it upright, almost nothing if I wipe the hull first with a towel before lifting it up unlike when inverted when it drips from all the nooks and crannies as well as the wet seat.

Pirate, I always flip the hull over on the ground to drain while I pack away the other gear. I'd do that even if I was loading the boat upright, rather than leave the mast well marinading in salt water.

Then we agree to be different Chris. I use a sponge to soak up any water in the mast well then pop the end of my main sheet in the hole for storage then blocked by the same but wrung out sponge. Also Chris it is virtually impossible for me given normal time restraints at the end of a sailing or kayaking session to allow sufficient time for adequate drying off on the deck, especially in winter when the water just wants to cling rather than drain. By the same token as I previously stated, a quick rub over with my towel on the smooth hull is all that is needed to remove anything that wants to drip. I do this when the stern is up being supported by the Rack 'n Roll bar but the bow is still on the ground before being lifted onto the car. There seems to be a myriad of ways to transport our rigs but I see my way as uncomplicated and safe and for me the best option by far...Pirate :wink:

_________________
Master of the galleon 'Pirates Lot'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:35 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1785
Location: Calga NSW, Australia
I wasn't trying to "convert" you Pirate. We've both tried cartopping our boats both ways, so it's just a matter of personal preference. I towel mine down also, to prevent drips on the car.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:38 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 810
Location: Sydney - Parramatta
I got myself a little 12v pressure washer with a 13 Litre water tank built in. Doesn't sound like much but it's very water efficient and gives you enough to wash down the whole AI. In fact by the time you've washed the whole thing down you still have water left and you're looking for more stuff to wash...

The pressure isn't too high. Not much chance of taking off paint or getting past gaskets if you were washing down an engine but enough to get rid of sand and salt.

Saves me having to do it later when I get home. Plus it gets air dried during the drive home... :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:56 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:39 am
Posts: 863
Location: Bairnsdale, Victoria Australia
Cowsgomoo wrote:
I got myself a little 12v pressure washer with a 13 Litre water tank built in. Doesn't sound like much but it's very water efficient and gives you enough to wash down the whole AI. In fact by the time you've washed the whole thing down you still have water left and you're looking for more stuff to wash...

The pressure isn't too high. Not much chance of taking off paint or getting past gaskets if you were washing down an engine but enough to get rid of sand and salt.

Saves me having to do it later when I get home. Plus it gets air dried during the drive home... :)


Good thinking Cows... Mickey has one of those too and is apparently very happy with it. When I see them on sale I may well take the plunge also.
You are right Chris. We have both got it right from our own perspectives.
I was going to give the tramps a burl this weekend but the weather has taken a turn for the worse and I have opted to stay warm and dry.....Pirate :wink:

_________________
Master of the galleon 'Pirates Lot'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:56 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1785
Location: Calga NSW, Australia
Cowsgomoo wrote:
I got myself a little 12v pressure washer with a 13 Litre water tank built in. Doesn't sound like much but it's very water efficient and gives you enough to wash down the whole AI. In fact by the time you've washed the whole thing down you still have water left and you're looking for more stuff to wash...

The pressure isn't too high. Not much chance of taking off paint or getting past gaskets if you were washing down an engine but enough to get rid of sand and salt.

Saves me having to do it later when I get home. Plus it gets air dried during the drive home... :)

Yeah, Stringy has one of those - they look great. So which tribe do you belong to CGM - trailer, upright, inverted?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:10 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 810
Location: Sydney - Parramatta
chrisj wrote:
Yeah, Stringy has one of those - they look great. So which tribe do you belong to CGM - trailer, upright, inverted?


I'm a rooftop inverted kinda guy. No room to store another trailer. Unfortunatly the Podtrailer I've got is too short to carry the AI. When I go away the AI will have to go on the roof with the Podtrailer following along behind.

I use a aluminium pole out the side and slide the hull up at a 45 deg onto the roof rack basket. Then slide it into position and flip it upside down. I was thinking of putting the basket offset to one side and a couple of J-racks. Then I can still use the basket when I go away. I've got to be mindfull of the weight up top though.

I'll try and take some photos.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:54 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:39 am
Posts: 863
Location: Bairnsdale, Victoria Australia
:? Another 'I do it inverted' convert. :? :?
Whilst walking the dog just before dark tonight I got thinking about the subject being discussed of the little 12 volt water pumping system. I believe they are approx $150 a piece and a little bunky for storage even in a boot. I was considering low cost alternatives. How do you think a cheap 'plastic bladder' solar shower used for camping etc. would go as an acceptable substitute to wash down the boat after each outing?......Pirate

_________________
Master of the galleon 'Pirates Lot'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:43 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 810
Location: Sydney - Parramatta
Pirate wrote:
I believe they are approx $150 a piece ....


Or $99 on special. :D
Keep an eye open at Repco, Supercheap Autos and similar such stores.


Pirate wrote:
How do you think a cheap 'plastic bladder' solar shower used for camping etc. would go as an acceptable substitute to wash down the boat after each outing?......Pirate


Not sure how this would go based on efficency. A pressure washer means you can do more with less water. You might find you need to carry more water to do the same job with a camping shower. Of course if you can fill up at the launching area then that's not such a problem.

What about a collapsable bucket, eco-friendly detergent (and don't want suds in the waterways) and a sponge?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:53 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm
Posts: 45
Location: Toledo, OH
Cowsgomoo wrote:
Pirate wrote:
I believe they are approx $150 a piece ....


Or $99 on special. :D
Keep an eye open at Repco, Supercheap Autos and similar such stores.


They are about $40 here in the US: NOMAD, which appears to be identical to Australia's Car Cube

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:13 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:33 pm
Posts: 305
Location: Coram N.Y.
Image
By atticdoorways, shot with FinePix S1000fd at 2009-07-03
I load the bow of my A.I. onto an extension rod which slides into the forward cross bar on my Thule rack. Then I lift the stern onto the rear cross bar . Hobies DVD actually promotes Yakimas version of this. I leave it upright and connect to the bars with ratchet type tie downs. So many people secure their yaks incorrectly! The most important connection is to the rear of the car so the yak doesnt blast off in a front impact collision. And they use those cheap buckle type straps! :roll:

_________________
New to PCs and this forum stuff. Had an original Outback and Classic. sold them both for the A.I.. Love the boat and especially this site... (if I can figure out how to use it)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:17 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:33 pm
Posts: 305
Location: Coram N.Y.
BlueMark wrote:
Cowsgomoo wrote:
Pirate wrote:
I believe they are approx $150 a piece ....


Or $99 on special. :D
Keep an eye open at Repco, Supercheap Autos and similar such stores.


They are about $40 here in the US: NOMAD, which appears to be identical to Australia's Car Cube

Image

Glad I happened on this thread as I live in a second floor apartment and have not considered options for washing the A.I. Nice idea with the power washer but I think I would need a bigger tank...

_________________
New to PCs and this forum stuff. Had an original Outback and Classic. sold them both for the A.I.. Love the boat and especially this site... (if I can figure out how to use it)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:30 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm
Posts: 45
Location: Toledo, OH
Aledal wrote:
Glad I happened on this thread as I live in a second floor apartment and have not considered options for washing the A.I. Nice idea with the power washer but I think I would need a bigger tank...


You wouldn't want much more or you lose the portability. But it is easy to refill from a handy spigot, or jerry can, or even a bucket full of reasonably clean lake water.

Note that this is not really a 'power' or 'pressure' washer. It is approximately the same as what you would get with a pistol sprayer on a garden hose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:04 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:33 pm
Posts: 305
Location: Coram N.Y.
Got it. I dont have the luxury of washing her. In a second floor apartment my day starts out with getting her off the stairwell and onto the truck. Off the truck into the water. Off the water on to the truck. Off the truck and back into/ on-to the stairwell. She takes up the whole damn stairwell at 16 feet. Not to mention all her compliments. Sometimes i miss the simplicity of my Outback. Now its like Im in an F-14 Tomcat.

_________________
New to PCs and this forum stuff. Had an original Outback and Classic. sold them both for the A.I.. Love the boat and especially this site... (if I can figure out how to use it)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group