Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since I couldn't spend the weekend sailing my new TI (no sail yet), I was productive and installed my garage ceiling hoist. Below are some photos of the final installation. I used the Harken Hoister system that is rated at 200 lbs. It has an 8:1 mechanical lifting advantage.

TI secured above garage door when opened.
(Wilderness Systems T130 and 140 in background)

TI secured flush to ceiling of garage.

TI lowered.

Lowered, looking at hoist attachment points to ceiling.

Looking at supports. I didn't want to use narrow webbing straps. I wanted to spread as much load as possible over as great of surface area of the rails as possible. Note that I have screwed together 3 pieces of 2x6 with 3/4" plywood mounted on top. This is so when I flip the TI over onto the concrete floor the boat does not rest on the cleats and other hardware. I used another piece of 3/4" plywood running vertically, making an I-beam, to stiffen up the board. This holds the weight quite well.

I cut the boards so they would fit flush with the rails of the boat. The front is about 3" wide to be able to fit between the rudder handle and protruding screw. The back is about 4" wide to fit between other hardware shown sticking above the rail. These are pretty much the locations along the length of the boat where they had to go since I had to find the two ceiling rafters that most closely matched the center portion of the boat. The spread between the boards is about 3 feet 10 inches

The boat has been hanging for 2 solid days and so far I have not noticed any warping or denting of the boat.

Last edited by flaneur on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

flaneur - good post - appreciate the photos and thought you have put into this. 8)
I am considering this storage option - as well as just leaving it on my trailer on cradles. (I have enough space to do this) :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome job. I had ordered the 150 lb Harken 4-point, but since seeing this I called & changed my order to the 200 lb Harken. Thanks for all the great photos too! I'll be building a system similar to yours in the next week or two.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Installed the Harken Hoister for the AI after seeing Flaneur's post and this discussionhttp://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=33555&hilit=ceiling.

I made a cradle to drop onto the bed of my pickup with bed extender, strap down and drive away. The caribiner clips are used to disconnect the hoist from the cradle.
Mounted a support board to keep the eyehook from pulling out of the wall
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x33 ... 020437.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You may also want to check out the Garage Gator at Sam's Club for $164. has 220 lb capacity and works great for storing lots of stuff.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... CSE_NexTag

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been looking for a way to store my Hobie tandem island. I thought these things weighed 240 pounds. Would this hoist system still hold it if it’s only rated at 200 pounds?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Whatever you do, follow the storage rules in the owner's manual. For example, don't suspend it from the pad eyes or carry handles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tophermoon, I just installed the 200# Harken hoist in my garage for my 2021 TI, which I place on a 14' aluminum ladder with 2" pvc resting on the steps. The TI sits nicely on this, and I like the extra support from potentially warping since I live in Houston and the heat in the garage is miserable. I only hoist the TI hull and Mast (including the ladder/pvc contraption) to keep the weight down. The amas are on a separate double hoist system (Home Depot bicycle lift) and the rest of the gear (seats, akas, mirage drives) are in a closet. I added four extra eye-style lag bolts near the Harken's four corner rope pulleys and attached a small length of chain. Once hoisted to the ceiling, I connect the chain and release the weight off of the hoist (just a couple of inches of travel). The beast is still heavy, and although I'm not as fit as I was in my youth I can still manage to raise it (just have to use gloves and wrap the pull rope around my hand each pull). Since it's an 8:1 lift system, you'll pull 8' of rope to lift the boat 1', so there's a LOT of pulling for my 10' ceiling. So far so good, though. Hope this helps.