Since I couldn't spend the weekend sailing my new TI (no sail yet), I was productive and installed my garage ceiling hoist. Below are some photos of the final installation. I used the Harken Hoister system that is rated at 200 lbs. It has an 8:1 mechanical lifting advantage.
TI secured above garage door when opened.
(Wilderness Systems T130 and 140 in background)
TI secured flush to ceiling of garage.
Lowered, looking at hoist attachment points to ceiling.
Looking at supports. I didn't want to use narrow webbing straps. I wanted to spread as much load as possible over as great of surface area of the rails as possible. Note that I have screwed together 3 pieces of 2x6 with 3/4" plywood mounted on top. This is so when I flip the TI over onto the concrete floor the boat does not rest on the cleats and other hardware. I used another piece of 3/4" plywood running vertically, making an I-beam, to stiffen up the board. This holds the weight quite well.
I cut the boards so they would fit flush with the rails of the boat. The front is about 3" wide to be able to fit between the rudder handle and protruding screw. The back is about 4" wide to fit between other hardware shown sticking above the rail. These are pretty much the locations along the length of the boat where they had to go since I had to find the two ceiling rafters that most closely matched the center portion of the boat. The spread between the boards is about 3 feet 10 inches
The boat has been hanging for 2 solid days and so far I have not noticed any warping or denting of the boat.