Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We would appreciate advice on whether the pictured storage arrangement is safe for our AI (in terms of hull distortion) for periods of up to a month. We want to store it upright and assembled so we can lower it and roll it down to the water. But we also don't want to damage it! Thanks in advance.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks good as long as everything holds up well (doesn't fail).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, that's a nice set-up ! What kind of material did you use for the sling, and is it commercially available ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The sling is just made out of one of those heavy rubber-backed doormats that are sold everywhere, cut in half lengthwise. The metal rings are big keychain rings. We used a continuous piece of nylon cord to attach the sling, so that it would slip to equalize the tension on each attachment point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. Nice to see that readily available materials were used. I've always been intrigued with the sling concept of supporting the hull.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the system, but I'd be concerned about the key rings pulling through the rubber over time. My solution to that would be getting some grommets. You could probably use grommets like the ones from a tarp. I don't know where to buy those in the states, but in Canada, we'd go to Canadian tire. Wherever they sell tarps, I'm sure they'll sell a packet of grommets for cheap. It would lessen the stress of those key rings on the rubber.

Maybe it's stronger then it looks in the picture, and I love what you've done, but if that's an area of weakness over time, the grommet solution might help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks really good, but besides the rubber-ring connection, I would be concerned about the crossbar-hull connections. The amas and akas can be safely folded in unsupported for some time, but it results in a turning force on the crossbar (and in some stress on the aka-crossbar connection). I may be overly concerned, but I can imagine that it is not a good thing for the hull when these forces last for weeks or longer.
The least I would do is support the amas in some way, such that not all their weight is translated to forces on the crossbar-hull connection and in the aka-crossbar connection. Maybe you do that, but I could not see that on the pics. For ideas about this look at one of Roadrunners tandem island reviews (the pic that shows how to prevent the drooping of the amas). Or, (even saver), disconnect the amas before hanging the hull.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We appreciate the comments and advice on our little sling arrangement. Just what we were hoping for.

We will monitor whether the rings start to pull through the rubber and install grommets if they do. Our theory is that there is only 10 pounds of tension on each ring so the rubber should hold, but we shall see. Thanks augaug.

And thanks for the point about the weight of the amas, Skua. We will rig something to relieve that.

Thanks again to all who commented!