Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm an owner of a TI & only able to use it on the weekends. I have a Hobie trailer to tow the TI with. When I'm not using the TI, how should I store it? Do I leave it on the trailer without worrying about distortion? Lie it bottom down on a concrete pad with 6/7 foam pool noodles underneath it, put in on its side or rest it upside down on some sort of frame so it does not rest on the rope cleats on the aka support braces?

Being in Canada with lots of cold & snow, what is the best way to store it over winter? In a tarp supported sling or winterized on a saw horses, or turned upside down on a concrete floor, on the trailer with additional front support. Much like my question from above but it'll be winterized for about 6 months. HELP

Matt-What is Hobies official recommendation for storage?
Thanks,
J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hi j. i must apologise for the lack of response your questions have produced. i think its because its all been covered many times in previous posts. basically, in my understanding, which covers standard kayaking too, for a polyethlene (pe) kayak (hull) the length of the ai to remain supported in only one place would have long term ramifications. yes its a strong hull, but pe has a memory so lets say you supported the hull at both ends, the bow and keel shaped stern being (corrugated?)angled and rigid and therefore strong. now if you could get the additional weight of the complete kit, roll it into a ball and place it midships, over a few hours some flexing would take place. leave the weight on for a while and hey presto, the hull will remember its new shape, with the weight removed.

so i try to support my parked kayak in 3 places. the trolley, located, in the middle, and two wooden blocks on bow and stern. whilst transporting the ai to the harbour and waters edge, it sits on the tennis balls between the hull and uprights. i remove excess weight asap and then load when its off the trailor and on the sand/stone, as the tide dictates. same going home, i prop it up so no 1 point is taking all of the load. i use the original packing cover to protect it from uv, which we have loads in cornwall in summer. one could have a cover made and that would winterize the hull. make it wide enough for the amas too. i would store it upside down and well cushioned and all moveable pulleys, locks and hinges and the likes should be lubricated.

but check out the many excellent posts here, its informative and fun.
cheers
tw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good advice.

I would just add that anyone with TI storage issues can leave them at my place during weekdays and winters.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen: