Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So on July 23 I took a drive to pick p our Tandem Marriage Oasis. my drive was 70 miles. I also bought a Yakama roof rack.
On my way dow my Mpg was 44 Mpg .
I Drive a 2012 TDI Jetta. (diesel if you dont know your VW's)
On my way home I was shocked 32 Mpg >sad face< we were pretty bummed especially because we were about to embark on what would be a 2330 mile round trip to Nova Scotia.
The trip was out of this world and having our own yak much less a Marriage drive >happy face<
so we got home and took the yak off the car I drove around the great flat state of Delaware and found much to my dismay my Mpg was 35-36with just the rack on the car >very sad face<
Though of my hyper-miling antics, drafting tractor trailers and such and thought a trailer would draft my jetta just nicely and make it easy to load/unload, I found a Triton aluminum single ski jet ski trailer for 200.00 a hidden hitch install for 300 went to pick up the trailer and on the ride home my Mpg went up to 42 !!!! yea back to where I ought to be. Now to put the boat on it and take a ride.
Loading it on to the trailer........wow super easy.......wow. and after my 70 mile ride 40-41 Mpg Noicey nice!!!
So if at all possible get a trailer and go to Nova Scotia !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Based on my own experience rwehuman, I would say that you figures would be pretty close to the mark. I did a 3,000 km ( 1800 mile ) trip a couple of years back. I decided to put the AI on the roof as it would cost about $200 extra to take it onto a ferry on a trailer. I soon gobbled up $200 in extra fuel by having it on the roof. The lesson for me was to do "all" the maths before leaving home, not just some of them.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If only I believed my math teachers when they told me how important math would be.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rwehuman wrote:
If only I believed my math teachers when they told me how important math would be.....

And geography also, it's very painful for a grown man to admit that he's lost ! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I dont get lost, I get "misplaced"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Sinking Ship,

I used a PWC trailer and added boards along with cradles for my TI. I saw other thread about using 1.25" PVC pipe to support hull LENGTHWISE along both grooved channels on the bottom of the hull.

I modified that design by bolting cradles to boards under mirage drive wells , But, I screwed PVC pipe sections in between cradles, lined up with hull channels and then covered PVC tubes with indoor Outdoor rubber/carpet entry rug fr Costco. Pads and reduces hull friction and scraping and supports hull for 10 ft length....along with TI cradles....seems to support hull well, all winter long