Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While we are waiting for your video, here is a little Hawaiian update on the beach trolly idea. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=34323

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice set-up on the carts, NOHUHU. The rails, that I believe you designed to ride the valleys on the hull, is a really great idea to distribute the weight. I know what you mean when you were talking about that price on these things...ouch...it does put a dent in the wallet. The trailex boat dolly does not do any better either. I might look into some kind of railing system to help with loading and unloading of the TI after seeing your set-up. I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am planning to build a cart for the TI, and am likely to use the Wheeleze 42 cm wheels. They may be overkill, but I'm concerned that the next smaller size (30 cm) would be too small and bog down in the sand. It's tricky to communicate a design in a post, but I am planning to use 1" aluminum pipe (actually 1.32" OD, with 0.13" wall), along with very strong clamp fittings. There's a vertical triangle on each side, with a 3-way 90 degree elbow down at the wheel hub (Mcmaster.com 4698T112), two pipe arms extending up at 45 degrees on either side, and a 4' long horizontal top pipe that extends thru two adjustable angle tees (4698T97). There's a strap cradle fore and aft that connects to the ends of the horizontal pipes. A stubby axle clamps into the 90 degree elbow on each side. Finally, there are a pair of pipe cross struts that connect the two triangles, via four thru-hole tees (4698T15), one on each of the 45 degree arms. One horizontal cross strut is mounted low, and the other higher up, and the clamp screws allow the cart to break down and store compactly. The cart will go a little aft of the center of the TI, and I'll pull the combo from the bow. I'll post a photo once it is complete, although that is a few weeks out. The TI shows up at the end of April.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is the link to the youtube video showing my first attempt at using the Trailex boat dolley with the TI. The TI is fully loaded and I wanted to see how hard it is to pull the TI by myself. It definitely worked out a lot better than the HD kayak cart I used the first time. There was one issue I need to fix with the dolley. Apparently, sand can get in between the axle shaft and the pvc hub when the dolley went in the water. I will have to find a way to keep sand out because the wheels were squealing when we were pulling the TI out of the water and up to the truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-BFvV0G0GU

Kevin - Looking forward to your pics of the cart your going make. I know those beach wheels will definitely get the job done. I don't think they would be overkill either...if they can save your back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Manong, that's quite a dune you need to traverse!

Seems like a pretty sexy cart, but it must be pretty tiring getting that TI back uphill with a 2 wheeler. We are noodling with some 3 and 4 wheel carts that can take the load off.

Thanks for the video. Nice ride you got there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Manong - very interesting piece of kit, just a few questions - :)
how heavy is it?
can it fold up and fit in the car?
do you have video of coming back up the sand single handed?
your sand looks pretty hard judging by the depth of the footprints, have you tried it on soft sand?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pinoyghost18 (Manong?): Nice video! What diameter and width are the wheels on the Trailex? The impression that they leave in the sand, even with a fully loaded TI, look very shallow. How much effort did it take to pull it? Did you have the impression that larger diameter tires would have been easier? The 30 cm Wheeleze's would take up a lot less space in the back of my small SUV than the 42's, and where I will be putting in (Maho Bay beach), the sand is only about 20' wide. By the way, due to the hilly, hairpin turn roads on St. John, I am not going to get a trailer, and am designing a custom roof rack with two of the TI cradles that they use on the Hobie trailer, and a rear set of Hully rollers. We'll see how that all works out...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey NOHUHU
The hardest part about transporting the TI was up the hill near the water. I don't think I could pull it up by myself with a fully loaded TI. Every time I took a step going up, the sand would shift underneath my feet making it quite a job. Once I got on level sand, it was no problem from then on. I think the multiple wheels on your set up would of been helpful in the uphill portion.

jms2756
The ad for the dolly says about 60lbs with the upgraded tires I have on it, but I have not weighed it myself. Picking it up feels around 60lbs though. It does not fold up, only extends from lengths of 8'4" to 12'4" (Measurements come from the dolly frame and does not include the tires). The dolly is about 4'3" wide including the tires. Unfortunately we did not get video coming up, I don't think it would of been possible to record and pull a fully loaded TI up the sand, sorry. I think I could of pulled it without all the gear on the TI, but that is only an assumption. I like taking less trips to and from the truck. If I went solo I would have no choice. As for the sand that day it was pretty packed, but when the beach season comes, all the walking everyone does out there will soften it up. I did use the HD kayak cart in these same conditions and I will never go back to using those after using the dolly. I don't think the dolly would fit in a car, unless that is a REALLY big car. I have enough fun MAKING the dolley fit in the back of the S-10 with all the gear I have back there already.

Kevin
The wheels are measured at 8" wide and 17.5" diameter. I would say it took nominal effort by myself and I know one thing for sure I am not worn out by the time I get to the water. I use to lug a fully loaded Oasis with the Hobie kayak cart with beach tires and that was tiring, but as I have written before...I like taking less trips. As for the tires on the dolly, when I first received them, I was surprised at the size. I am glad I got them though, because when the sand starts getting soft again, I won't regret it. I would say go with the larger tires, but that is my opinion.

Hopefully this posts helps a little. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks; big wheels it is.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KM, 30cm tyres would be more than enough for the TI, if they were wheeleez beach wheels.

A 30cm tyre still fits in the front hatch BTW.

The roof rack sounds like a winner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU: Thanks for the feedback; I was kinda hoping someone would say that. The larger wheels will take up a lot of space, and would have to share the fairly small rear storage area in my Suzuki Grand Vitara with the Mirage drives, rudder, knocked down cart,and I'm sure other stuff. The soft sand is, as I mentioned, a pretty short pull, as the water is within 25' of the road.

I'll be sure to post pics and/or video of both the cart and roof rack once they are in operation, although that will be early May.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are interested, one of our guys is working on a "3rd wheel" concept, inserted into the mirage drive opening. There a picture of the 30cm wheel inside the TI hatch there.

http://hawaiikayaksailingclub.com/hkscforum/index.php?topic=196.15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not sure if this has been brought up on this specific topic post, but check out sunEsailor's beach cart design:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35157