Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the insight guys. I ended up using the lynch pins similar to what Reconlon is using and they've been working well despite some surface corrosion on the pins. Ended up buying a few after I lost the factory pin that my Hobie Trax 2 cart came with. After 4 months of abuse, I'm still using the first set of lynch pins I installed.

Back to wheeling your loaded TI through the sand. I haven't tried pulling my TI through soft sand yet; but, it'll just be a matter of time - i.e. Hookena launch. I'm thinking, will using a pair of Hobie Trax 2 carts help? Figure you can offset the load better with two carts.

I've been carting my TI through a rocky shoreline. I'm not at my most graceful when pulling over rocks but it goes. Noticed my cart's axle is taking some major abuse and will have to rethink or fortify the design before it falls off. Maybe taller tires perhaps. So far so good for now.

cliffs2yak

Note, I edited this post to change Wheelez cart to a Hobie Trax 2 cart. I own a Hobie Trax 2 cart and got it mixed up with a Wheelez cart. Apologies for any confusion.

Last edited by cliffs2yak on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just visited a Hobie dealer and say the latest HD cart, which now has the foam-filled tires and smaller diameter axle. Quite a bit different from mine which is only 4 months old.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Reconlon,

With the heavier kayaks like the TI and carting it through rough terrain, not so sure if going with the smaller axle is a good idea. I was hoping designs would go the other way and strengthen their original design.

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm... this isn't helping my headache! :wink:
I'd like to know when Hobie increased the axle diameter? It was always 1/2" on both carts but the standard and HD used hollow tube and Trax used solid bar.
The hub reducer sleeve made it look it look larger but it was just a sleeve slipped over the 1/2" tube axle.
Also when did the Trax2 ever have pins? The balloon wheels always had a quick release built into the hub.
I agree with c2y in that a stronger scupper cart is required. I haven't had any axle problems but the welds keep cracking. Even my new Trax2 which has only been used on short distances about a dozen times with the TI has developed cracks in the welds around the upright tubes. Maybe thicker walled tubing should be considered?
A stronger cart with better welding is long overdue Hobie! :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, you might find this interesting: Tastech Terminator AI wheelcart. Tas designed these with input from Josh 'Yakass' Holmes - and knowing Josh, this would have to be bullet proof! A model for the TI is in the works, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Max. 8)
That's the sort of cart that Hobie should be selling! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got 3 carts and need each one for the specific task.

I'd never get the H/D type tyres up some steepish sand dunes that I need to negotiate.

Horses for courses and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Captain-max,

Those Tastech carts look pretty solid. I wondering if it would be possible to extend the axle out a bit so you can run an extra pair of HD tires - kind of like a dually cart setup. This way you have the option to increase the cart's footprint in soft sand.

cliff2yak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

C2Y, if you hop onto the Yakass forum comments, using the link I provided above, you could pose that question to Tas ("brown hornet") directly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

captain-max,

Thanks. I think the idea of going with a pair of HD tires on both sides of the cart is kinda out there for now. But will follow Yakass's tread on the Tas carts. Hopefully, I'll have a stronger cart option before my Hobie cart falls apart.

Aloha,

c2y

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Might be worth reviewing the C-TUG cart option in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=29963&hilit=cart&start=15

Stringy and O-Guy are using it.

It could be used to supplement the HD cart. And if any kayak could use 4WD, it's the TI.

Available in the US now http://c-tug.net/index.php

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been using the C-Tug to avoid getting wet when retrieving the TI in the Winter months. I find it difficult to insert the Trax2 scupper cart in the middle scupper without getting soaked. :(
The C-Tug can be slid under the hull easily by 2 people standing either side of the kayak using the cart straps but it works best using the double cart method. At the ramp I lift the rear of the TI and my wife fits the Trax into the rear scuppers. Then I float the TI out a bit, turn it around and we slide the C-Tug under the bow. This way you have very little weight on the bow handle.
I wouldn't like to wheel it a long way though as the pads don't conform to the shape of the hull and the cart can move around a bit even with the straps up tight.
The C-Tug is a clever design, is well made and very strong. It breaks down in seconds and can be stored easily in the hull. Despite these advantages I don't regard the C-Tug as a replacement for the scupper cart. It works best in combination with the scupper cart.
My cart of choice is definitely the Trax2 fitted with pneumatic tyres (despite the odd cracking weld :wink: ). The keeper pin in the latest Hobie carts is a big plus when sliding the TI off the trailer, the scupper cart stays put and loads only the scuppers (the strongest part of the hull). :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The C-Tug looks pretty solid. And I like how it incorporates an arch into its axle design giving it more clearance in rocky terrain. Perhaps a saddle and pegs can be retrofitted to improve its use/hold with scupper holes.

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just checking;

The TI has 2 sets of cart friendly scupper holes, correct? Both found behind the rear Aka? (AI has but one)

With the Amas folded back, and a cart inserted in each position, this seems like a nice state of balance when hauling from the bow. Whereas the C-TUG would likely be positioned ahead of the front Aka creating a longer wheelbase... Is this the case?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nohuhu,

I've been using the scuppers behind the rear seat and forgot about using the one located nearest to midship. I transport my TI on my truck racks with my cart installed. I found having the cart plugged into the scupper fartest aft helped while unloading. But it's not the easiest when trying to maneuver the length of the TI.

Heading out today and will install the cart more midship and report back.

cliffs2yak

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next