Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car topping AI & TI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the TI Amas are 10 kilos each.

He would be well over 220lbs MAX with everything up there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the input guys (and the concern! :) ) it looks like the trailer or using two vehicles is going to be the answer. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I wanted to ask about the hobie tandem adventure island.  On the website it quotes the following specs:

Length: 18' 6" / 5.64 m
Ama Length: 13' 4" / 3.96 m
Width w/ Amas Out: 10' / 3.05 m
Width w/ Amas In: 4' / 1.22 m
Width: 30" / 0.76 m
Mast Height: 18' / 5.49 m
Sail Area: 90 sq ft / 8.4 sq m
MirageDrive® Weight x 2: 6.6 lbs / 3 kg
Hull Weight: 89 lbs / 40.4 kg
Ama Weight: 22 lbs / 10 kg
Hull Weight, Assembled: 115 lbs / 52.16 kg
Rigged Weight: 192 lbs / 87.1 kg
Capacity: 600 lbs / 272 kg
Crew: 1-2

I don't understand the difference between the "Hull Weight, Assembled" and "Rigged Weight". I would have thought these meant the same thing. Why I ask is that I'm trying to determine if I could load/unload a tandem by myself from my car roof using a Thule 887xt Slipstream carrier.

Here is the website for that

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/Wat ... %20NA.aspx

So, it says that it could allow you to roll up to 75 lbs (half the hull weight) onto the roof rack which would then hold the whole thing. All I want to put on top of the car is the main hull. The other stuff (amas and other hooohaa) can go in the car.  If the weight of the main assembled hull is only 115 lbs this will work. I assume there must also be some wheels one can by for hand transporting the kayak from car to water, too, yes?

Rich

Sent from my iPad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rkbarry wrote:
I don't understand the difference between the "Hull Weight, Assembled" and "Rigged Weight". I would have thought these meant the same thing. Why I ask is that I'm trying to determine if I could load/unload a tandem by myself from my car roof using a Thule 887xt Slipstream carrier.

The hull weight assembled means the weight of the main hull only, The rigged weight adds the akas, amas, mast, etc.

Looking at the Thule link you sent it looks like it will work but I hope you are really tall and really strong. Once you’re off the roller you will find that the TI hull is very heavy and hard to push into position,

I helped someone load a standard Hobie Mirage kayak on a setup like you're talking about. It was a breeze until the hull rested on all four cradles. Once it hit the cradles it was a *%*#@. I struggled to get it to slide forward and I'm 6'3"/230 lbs and work out 2 to 3 times a week. I would not have been able to get a TI hull to budge.

One thing I think that most will agree on is that the best way to carry a TI is on a trailer.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for that thought.

It may be that I will go with two AIs rather than one TI just because indent want to be obliged to buy a trailer. I already have a sailboat (Rs100) that would Use my trailer hitch. I now wonder if I could fit two AIs on my roof using the aforementioned Thule 887xts.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Indent...

Okay, that was something my iPad decided to add. It was supposed to be 'I don't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rich, there are many examples of rugged individuals who are car toppling the TI, but using other racks, so that may be your answer. Seems that flat racks or hobie cradles are the way to go.

I only know one TI owner here that uses car racks and he would tell you it's a lot of work. You may soon tire of it.

Trailer owners mostly seem thrilled though, and many don't have to waste time assembling the beast.

What car do you have, that will accomodate a 13.4 ft outrigger inside?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rkbarry wrote:
I now wonder if I could fit two AIs on my roof using the aforementioned Thule 887xts.

As you can see in my posts earlier in this thread, you can fit two AI's on the roof with one laying inverted and one on a J-rack. A lateral extension bar makes it fairly easy to load them.
I put the amas (pontoons) inside the car, so there's only enough room for one passenger.
Yes, you can get a cart to wheel an AI or a TI to the water.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A TI and a trailer will probably cost less than 2 AI's.

The trailer is great because I carry a TI and AI fully assembled. All I have to do is stick the mast in them, a couple of drives, paddles, and they're ready to go. It's a bunch more convenient.

Only con is that you need to put in at a place that has trailer parking.

If you are a sailor you'll love the TI.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The problem I'm trying to sort out is this. My trailer hitch is spoken for by my sailboat trailer http://www.rssailing.com/fleets.asp?fleet=RS100&selection=Details%20and%20Spec
But I want enough Sailyak to handle two people-my wife and i when we are not on the RS100. I have a Honda Odyssey minivan and could potentially lob two AIs on top with the help of a couple of Thule 887XTs. It looks like the AIs could be quite a bit easier for me to lift than one TI. My wife by the way doesn't have great upper body strength so I expect to the one to do any lifting.

Does this sound plausible? What do you think the total weight of two AIs would be on the roof? I'm guessing I could dump the amas and other rubbish into the boat on the trailer to transport those bits.

Thanks for all of your thoughts! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm getting confused. Recent posts have quoted the hull weight of the AI as 80 pounds ( I thought it was 70) and the hull weight of the TI as 89 pounds (I thought it was 120).
If there's only 9 pounds difference between the weight of the two hulls, what's the big deal about getting the TI up on roofracks?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I'm getting confused. Recent posts have quoted the hull weight of the AI as 80 pounds ( I thought it was 70) and the hull weight of the TI as 89 pounds (I thought it was 120).
I think those weights are out of the molds with no hardware mounted yet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought the Adventure hull (no crossbars or mast bracing) weighed 62 pounds.
So what are the relative weights of the two hulls with their fixed hardware installed?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The bare hull weight is 40.4 kg (RkBarry - this is what you will have to lift onto the roof)
The hull weight assembled is 52.16 kg (I presume this to mean just hull, drives, paddles, seats)
The rigged weight is 87.1 kg (everything supplied as standard)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jms2756 wrote:
The bare hull weight is 40.4 kg (RkBarry - this is what you will have to lift onto the roof)
The hull weight assembled is 52.16 kg (I presume this to mean just hull, drives, paddles, seats)
The rigged weight is 87.1 kg (everything supplied as standard)

OK, well as I understand it, the bare weight of the AI is 32kg and that's fairly easy to get onto the roof. Does an extra 8kg really make all that much difference? Since you are only lifting one end of the boat at a time, you are only having to lift an extra 4kg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next