Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone used a jet ski trailer to transport the TI. If so can you post a picture. What is the law for overhang on the back of a trailer. everywhere I have looked i see it is about 4 lf with a flag or light. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The regs can vary by state. In NC, you do not need a flag or light if the rear overhang is 4 feet or less. Beyond that, a flag or light is required.

Most jet ski trailers would probably need a tongue extension to work well for towing a TI.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a jet ski trailer for my AI. It works perfectly and I reckon with an extension, it could work equally well for a TI. I just used the raw frame ( took off all the fittings, rollers etc ) and add 2 lengths of electrical galvanised cable tray lengthwise. I then cable tied pool noodles to the top lengthwise as well. I don't have photos but will take some through the week and post them to help explain. Don't know about the laws over your way. If a cop pulls you up, just tell him I said it's all OK ! :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A jet ski trailer once modified should make an excellent TI trailer. The trailer I use is actually a 3.9m dinghy trailer, though it’s similar to a jet ski trailer. As Tom said you may have to lengthen the drawbar. For balance it would need to measure more than half of the TI's 18.5' length so around 12' or so (allowing for jockey wheel etc) from coupling to axle.
It’s also just as important to lengthen the rear of the trailer so that the TI’s overhang is properly supported. This will give you a location for mounting the lights/licence plate so a flag won’t be necessary and it will always be legal.
A simple way to do this would be to bolt 2” square tube 10’ long or so directly to the trailer (U-bolts are what I used) and mount the TI cradles to the tube.
These pics will give you some idea. The standard dinghy trailer originally ended just aft of the trailer wheels. I have a very steep driveway to negotiate so I ripped some 4x2 RHS diagonally to give a taper to the rear extension to stop it scraping.

PS- The third TI cradle makes loading/unloading very easy, acts as a rear support for the TI and a tail light protector.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the info. I met with a friend the other day ans he is going to help me modify my flatbed ATV trailer. That way I don't have to buy, insure and store another trailer. The trailer is 12 lf long and I will post pics once I get it built.

Don

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Working on the trailer. I have to go get the TI tomorrow in Lake Havasu. I set up sone 2x8 boards with pads to get it home. This is just temp, until I have the TI home to see how I want it to sit. It will stick out the back 3.5 lf. I will flag it and light it for now. The white PVC pipe is the length of the kayak to get me a starting point. The grey pads are a high density foam padding from a shipping company i had on a job site. the boards will be tied down and the TI will be tied to it and the trailer. Will post more pics later.