Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I trailer and store my TI upside down. The TI rests on three 2x6's. Moving from front to back, the first 2x6 support is about 6" behind the front crossbar. The second one is about 3" in front back crossbar. The third one is a few inches behind the rear steering handle. The 2x6's are carpeted and laid flat on a frame so they are all level. The TI rests on flat spaces on the gunnels that are not obstructed by gear.

My question is this, does that seem like adequate support for both trailering and garage storage? From the front support to the rear one it's a little over 8', so I have about 5' of overhang on each end. It seems to ride very well and it is extremely easy for one person to put it on and take it off the trailer.

All thoughts and observations will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds ideal, but a picture would help and you didn't mention the Amas.

As far as the crossbars, it's wise to have them both just inside or both just outside the 2x6's (or roof rack bars). This will limit their potential travel in both directions.

With the new TI Aka receiver tubes, are you going to need more than 2" clearance to flip the boat over, (assuming you load and unload this way)? An AI would need more.

I have a buddy who attaches PVC sleds to his AI's crossbars and slides them (like butter) onto a PVC trailer rack, where they lock in place for transport. Very clever.

The hull touches nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You are correct. I have the 2x6's stacked on 2x6's. That way the support bars are actually 4x6. Not necessary strengthwise, but I needed to do that to have the TI crossbars off the frame on the trailer. Makes it very easy to flip it over and slide it off the trailer.

I also use this trailer to transport my Getaway. When I'm only taking the TI, the amas ride on the rollers the Getaway hulls would normally sit on. One on each side. There is also a 12' sailbox that sits beside the TI. The TI and the sailbox fit under the Getaway when I take both boats. When I do that, the amas and the beach wheels ride on the tramps of the Getaway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only thing I can think of to add - would be some thick closed-cell foam like the floor tiles made to relieve foot shock. This will dampen any hard "hits" the boat would take while travelling on the trailer.

... something like these cut/glued/wrapped around whatever need be
https://www.softtiles.com/content/view/28/39/

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Inventive. That must be quite a sight.

Gotta be careful backing that rig up. Guessing the TI sticks way out and would be blocked from view by the GA?

The GA must come off first to load/unload the TI? That would be one drawback about having to flip the yak. Maybe Malone seawings would fit under there?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The TI is only a few feet longer than the Getaway, so it only sticks out a little over a foot on each end. I pretty much center both boats on the trailer. I found after doing it a few times that taking both boats didn't make a lot of sense. I usually only sail one at a time.

Before I had the TI, I had an AI. I had a set of Malone Seawings mounted on the trailer for it. They worked very well with the AI. I could easily slide the AI out from under the Getaway. When I got the TI, I put it on the same Malone Seawings and it was way too heavy. So I put a second set of Malone Seawings on the trailer. I had 4 seawings each about 25" apart. I thought that would be enough support. Within a week the seawings were making dimples on the bottom of the TI. That's why I started storing and transporting the TI upside down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So Malone Seawings + TI = ugly love handles.

Very good to know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
I have a buddy who attaches PVC sleds to his AI's crossbars and slides them (like butter) onto a PVC trailer rack, where they lock in place for transport. Very clever.

That sounds pretty cool, Nohuhu. Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but could you elaborate? Has this system stood the test of time?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dvt wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:

That sounds pretty cool, Nohuhu. Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but could you elaborate? Has this system stood the test of time?
+1

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry for the wait guys,..

Yes this is Batmans creation for transporting the "Batboat".

A pvc "frame" attaches to his older AI [with the pinned Aka crossbars] via a threaded steel bolt and wingnut. The bolt goes through the hole intended for the Aka pin. The boat is flipped and lifted by this frame. Extremely easy with 2 people.

The small utility trailer has pvc covered bunks for 4 yaks and a wooden bed for all kinds of crap. The sled frame glides into place and strapped down or pinned to secure. Everything can be left on, rinsed and stored in place. Just push it around by hand and cover with a white tarp.

I'll dig up a couple shots if I can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tadah!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Batman's setup is pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing NOHUHU.