Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

great to know you have the answer!
I have all mine running through the middle!.

Mine is a little off the normal (specified) instillation. I can not see why it would not work (and it does work).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wow, I had never heard of these. I have been working on my own design but this saves me a lot of fiddling around. I have concrete roof and don't want to hand stuff from it, so I am thinking I will have vertical legs to the cross bars. All the weight will then be transmitted to the floor.

Also, I want to lift the TI and the trailer, so 200 lbs wouldn't cut it, anyhow.

But the design will work with the four vertical legs and metal cross bar frame I am thinking of. I only need to lift two meters...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to use the Harken Hoist, but want to keep the AI upright vs upside down without risking a dent in the boat. I was wondering if a good way to do that to be to have the hoist raise the boat using 2X4's vs the slings, and have use Hobie carriers attached to the 2X4's so that the boat is evenly supported. Would appreciate opinions of whether that is a good system or if I am getting overly complicated or overly concerned about injury to my AI.
Thanks,
Lar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have not dot mine just yet; my TI is held up by 3-5cm ties. I have ordered 20cm straps; I thinkg this will be nice!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Lar.
I have made the system that you describe for my AI. The only
difference being my AI is upside down. I see no reason why you can't use Hobie cradles on a 2x4 frame. My system is, two 2x6 cross beams each has a 2x4 screwed to it along it's lenth to form an "L" for strength. I then have a 2x4 connecting both cross beams keeping them apart. (sorry, would add a
Pic but im traveling).
I have the 145lb version which is a little hard to raise with the hull, amas and mast on the frame. I'd advise the 200lb version which should make things easier
Hope that helps.
JJ.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have any of you guys ever seen an overhead garage door opener modified to use as a hoist? I have two of them in as-new condition, was just wondering.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen them on the web; but never had any dealings with them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you mean that you've seen someone doing something like that? I haven't found any suppliers or plans. Usually the DIY community has something, but I am coming up empty so far.

Surely an overhead garage door motor could be used to turn some gears or run some line through pulleys and raise stuff up. I'm just not enough of a gear head to figure it all out easily on my own.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have used electric boat lifts (for lifting a powerboat in a boathouse) that used a central overhead shaft (runs the length of the boat down the centerline) tied to an electric motor/gearbox with the 4 cables wrapped around the shaft and running to 4 pulleys above the two crossbraces the boat sits on. The crossbraces/cradle is lowered into the water, drive the boat above it and hit the button to turn the shaft and roll the cables up and lift the boat out of the water. I am sure these are commercially available and could be modified to lift a boat or boat and trailer. I am thinking even a light weight system would work for kayaks compared to a 20' powerboat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We, fly rail tour mainly known for best Travel agency in Jammu,working from Last 16yrs.We provide all types of vehicles on day rent basis or on customer choice. We also provide all type of Package tours. for any kind of information you can contact us on our official werbsite-http://flyrailtours.com/