Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a TI that is well-supported on a 3 cradle Trailex trailer. I'm going to pull the TI 800 miles round trip in a couple of weeks.

Space inside my car will be at a premium, so I'm thinking loading soft, relatively light stuff onto/inside the TI. For example, I have a 20 lb inflatable kayak in a duffle bag. Previously, I've trailed with the sail and hakas lying on the main hull X-bars with no issues.

Can anybody share their experiences and their "do's and don'ts" on loading up an Island?

Also, what PSI are people running in their 8" Trailex wheels?

Regards,

Gary
2014 Tandem Island
1984 Hobie Hawk RC Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We travel alot, either with the TI on the roof (when we have our camper in tow), or on our modified harbor freight trailer (yea it works but it's a POS), especially in salt water (where we go mostly).
We also have limited storage in the vehicle so I typically throw everything that I can into the boat, pfd's, coolers, masks/fin bags, etc. However I have 3 sails on masts that pretty much cover the boat and trap everything underneath.
I also have super heavy duty spray skirts that I fold over the bow when transporting, the spray skirts trap all my rigging, sails and ropes, etc so they are somwhat protected from the wind. BTW I have shredded several sets of spray skirts on the highway so be careful there.
Haven't really lost anything just make sure it's all protected from the road wind, putting a twist in your 1" wide straps prevents them from vibrating.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have had three Trailex trailers with 8" wheels ............. all performed well carrying various Hobies with the tire pressure between 45-50 psi traveling to Florida.

I've currently mounted 570 x 8 tires on my TI / Trailex trailer. Not for highway purposes, but for a bigger "footprint" when the trailer's tow'd out onto the sand in the Florida Panhandle. The standard 480 x 8 tires actually can be dragged through, rather than roll on soft sand, overheat the tires and separate the tread. Ask me how I know.

bill