Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Isaiah wrote:
Do you think lawn tractor tires would work on soft sand? 20"x8" $50@lowes
Those have steel rims and bearing, so, not good in water (rust) and really bad in salt water.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Isaiah,

Thanks for your positive feedback.

I agree with reconion and I personally can not reccomend these wheels either. They will not hold up to a salt environment nearly as well as the Wheeleez wheels do, and they may not roll on soft sand as easily. You would have to try them out and see.

However, for the price of the Lowes wheels you could buy two, compared to the Wheeleez ones, keep them really clean, away from salt water as best as possible and see how long they last.

Note: I don't launch my boat into the ocean, I set it down on the sand, close to the waters edge and remove the cart. (see my video). I still wash it off fairly well with fresh water when I get home.

Let me know how you make out.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Bob n sun,
Just picked up a TI yesterday and now setting it up. I agree about the rust, maybe worth a try just got to rinse thorough. Lowes has good return policy, in case doesnt work out. After I set this up I will be buying parts to get started with the cart.

take care!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

:?:
sunEsailor - I was looking at your cart design and after reading other post about the Trailex trailer accomodating the TI, is there anyway that your cart having a TI cradle could be added to the back rail of the Trailex to become a 3rd support??

I saw a cement block truck that had its forklift attached to the back of the truck ready to go once at the worksite. Could the same be done to the Trailex trailer???

Have the 2 cradles attached to the Trailex but if the rails could be extended aft that you could then attach/clip or cambuckle your custom crossbar w/ cradle across the back rails for not only storage but also additional support for the hull?

I was thinking that once you arrived at a launch site, you could disconnect the cart and pull the TI aft off the trailer onto the cart, grab the hold straps and continue walking to the water, or if there is a good boat ramp then backup the entire trailer into the water to launch the TI? Whaddaya think??? I guess from looking at the Trailex fotos that it would take an extension of the siderails extending aft with the single, centerline rail extending beyond it to support the boat by the rudder and having a lisc plate holder and lites. Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

FraznDaf,
Yes this can be easily done. In fact I had already thought of doing that because it just makes sense to have the cart part of the trailer.
If you're interested, feel free to call me and we can discuss it further.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sun-E-Sailor;
It was great talking to you today. Here is a look at my toy trailer.

By larryhts at 2010-05-10

Can hardly wait :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Larry,
I'm putting the finishing touches on your new wheel cart, it should be all finished in the next couple of days. I'm thinking about bringing it over to you instead of shipping it. You're only 3 hr's away and we have friends in Bradenton. I'm more than happy to do this, and this way I can show you how easy it is to use.

You're going to love it! I'll give you a call when I'm done.

I think I've seen your set-up before. Did you once post a picture of your trailer?

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sun E sailor.
It was my pleasure to meet you today and thanks so much for bringing it over. I had a great time talking with you and hope to see you on the water some time. I will test it out this week end and try to get some pictures and videos to post. I love it.............Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Larry,
Very nice to meet you too. Today I'm mailing you two extra klip-pins and a pair of stainless steel hitch pin clips as well. You may like these better and decide to use them instead. Let me know how it works for you.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ezra,

I am thinking about finding small locks to use to secure the wheels on the axles while the cart is locked to my trailer, but still not sure how it will turn out. I will keep you advised on how and what I am doing.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Larry,

Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about the same thing earlier but decided that when the lock rusted (which invariably it will) you would then have a tough time removing it.

Perhaps consider my earlier suggestion which was to thread the ends of the klik clips to 1/4" threads, apply some blue loc-tight and double nut it. This would provide some security, but if necessary you could remove it.

Or you might want to consider buying one of those long narrow cable locks. I purchased one at Lowes and it wasn't expensive. You could pass the cable through one hub, down the inside of the cart frame and out through the other hub. Then just lock it up.

I can send you a pictureof of this type of lock if you need me to.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just as a follow up to how how much I like SunEsaior's new beach cart, here is my 10 year old daughter pulling the Tandem Island on the cart with about 100 pounds of gear.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3GRmf2ueCA[/youtube]

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video! :)

Just a reminder, if you add a second bow handle (#7650001) to the bow medal padeye, two people can pull from the front at the same time (one on each side) so you can both pull it together. Soon you'll be fighting to use your own boat! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Funny... very similar to what we are working on.

Matt any idea when the new Hobie cart for the TI will be released? I don't want to waste any more money on carts that don't work and not having a cart seriously restricts launch spots!

Sun E Sailor maybe you should consider an export business! say maybe Australia first!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

jms2756,
Thank you, I wish I could too!

2014 Tandem Island

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next