Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Tandem Island fans,

I learned everything from this forum, so, I thought I would give back and show how I have setup my TI. I bought a 2015 TI about a month ago from Southwind Kayak. They are a fantastic dealer, I have nothing but great words to say about them. They really helped me a lot. Great People, Great family run business.

So, I robbed my piggy bank and drove to Southwind

At Southwind, I found my new boat

I bought this block and tackle from ebay and wood 4x4s

Then, I found a way to squeeze it into the attic of my garage... There is a pipe and a garage door opener in the way, so, the only way to make the fine tuning I needed for the "hang" was to double up (for strength) two angle bars with 8 lag bolts screwed into the ceiling stud.. This way it was easy to make fine adjustments in the "hang" by moving the hardware around.

For my Landcruiser, I bought two more Yakima bars, for a total of 4 and keyed them together. Then, I bought those snap around fittings and used them to secure two 2 inch black abs pipes - each pipe is almost 7 feet. I only secured the pipes at the ends, so, they adjust naturally and fit the hull perfectly. Where the hull might touch during loading or unloading, I grinded down the edges of the snap around fittings. I used a heat gun to melt the ends of the pipes and to add a depression for drain... I learned all this from this forum. :)
Note: the damage you see on the garage door, I did a few years ago... It was not part of this project. :)

Loading and unloading is easy by myself. I use the cart on the back scuppers, put the bow on the bottom tailgate with the top tailgate down, then lift it onto the back crossbar which at the back of the LC. Then, it is easy to just slide it on.. Then I use the standard "surfboard" strap technic to tie everything down.. I color coded the straps and cut them.. 4 straps for the hull, 2 for the sail, and two green ones for each ama. For Security, I use my dirt bike cable locks, I lock the hull to the front Yakima bar through the mirage drive hole. I lock the amas to the Yakima bar by putting one cable through an aka hole in each one . In the picture below, you can make out the cable around the hull in the middle of the first strap. The second pic is older, and I had not worked out locking the amas yet, but, it turned out to be simple..

With this setup, the TI car tops very well. I can go at speed, travel the car pool lanes, 4 wheel, and launch anywhere. I do not even feel it up there.. It feels very secure.. Now, that the work is done, it's all fun !!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice work, I like the graphics... and nice Land Cruiser!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NICE!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks like a nice strong setup. Someone (maybe Fusioneng) had a picture of a car top setup that had a roller like the one in the link (at least i think) at the back end of the rack. I wonder if this would make the step of pushing the main boat body forward from the back when you are loading a little easier..

http://www.amazon.com/C-H-Yates-Rubber- ... or+trailer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

walt wrote:
That looks like a nice strong setup. Someone (maybe Fusioneng) had a picture of a car top setup that had a roller like the one in the link (at least i think) at the back end of the rack. I wonder if this would make the step of pushing the main boat body forward from the back when you are loading a little easier..

http://www.amazon.com/C-H-Yates-Rubber- ... or+trailer

Thanks ! -- Yes, I was thinking about something like that, but, I need something very short and very low profile... I am thinking to just cut a small piece of PVC pipe that easily slides over the yakima bar, wrap it with gorilla tape, and let that be the roller on the back bar... Right now it slides on and off really easy, but, a roller would be cool... The new drain kind of rides along side the pipe until it finds the dent then everything pops into place. Of course, the key is to only secure the pipes at the ends, the two middle Yakima bars are there to handle the weight. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice setup, congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice setup, great that it is secure, avoiding concerns while travelling.
This may be the roller referred to. Great design as it is self centering.
When the TI is at 45 degrees, it does put a lot of weight in a small area of polyethylene.
Particularly for me as I winch the nose up to the roller and then drag forward.
I generally stop part way to check the dyneema cord hasn't caught on anything and can see the hull denting.
Goes back out when I'm fully loaded though.